Roksan Attessa Streaming Amplifier Review & Comments

Hoku

Thanks for the review Ed, as always. You have a way with words that usually brings a chuckle, and we all need a little more chuckling in our lives.

I’m not in the market for an amp at present, but if I was, I think this would tick a lot of boxes. I’ve liked the Roksan sound ever since I demo’d a Kandy over 15 years ago and have enjoyed their sound ever since.

And at the price point, including the well renowned BluOS, I would imagine that the Attessa hits a sweet spot of performance, functionality and price for a lot of potential punters out there.

I hope Roksan do well with it.

On a technical point, if using this as a 2-channel AV solution plugging your TV into the optical input, would the TV remote be able to control volume?

For the many who stream music AND TV/movies, this could make a really solid one box “just add speakers” solution.

Hoku

Interesting device. Rather shocking that it doesn't do AirPlay, but I guess that can be corrected through software later.
Review states, “They are backed up by a Bluetooth input with aptX and AAC handling and there’s AirPlay2 to round things off.”

symphara

Review states, “They are backed up by a Bluetooth input with aptX and AAC handling and there’s AirPlay2 to round things off.”
I was confused. The review also states "Apple Music is really the only notable absentee" and the product specifications don't mention AirPlay.

Then I discovered that actually the main product page includes AirPlay 2 (funny, not the specifications), therefore Apple Music will be covered even if the product doesn't run it natively. Few do, apart from Sonos and I think Echo. So anyone with a subscription to Apple Music and a phone will be fine.

Last edited:

Ed Selley

AVF Reviewer
therefore Apple Music will be covered even if the product doesn't run it natively

Across all reviews here- not just mine- streaming service support is counted as native app support. Yes, you can send Apple Music via AirPlay2 but you can equally send anything anything else by the same medium and high res content will not be supported at any point as AirPlay2 can't handle the bandwidth. As such, sending Apple Music to it is possible but Apple Music itself is not supported.

Thatsnotmynaim

Distinguished Member
Why is it called a steaming amplifier when it is both a dac and amp?
Because it's an amplifier with a streamer built in?!!

fordster

Apple Music over Airplay 2 is also not lossless , it drops back to lossy AAC. Crazy on Apple‘s part not to have updated Airplay when they introduced lossless to Apple Music. Bizarrely Airplay 1 does lossless but that was removed to make way for multi room audio. Also other streaming services seem to manage to do lossless over Airplay so presumably they are somehow dropping back to v1?

TheHighFlyingBirds

Distinguished Member
Thanks for the review Ed. I'm quite keen on the basic amplifier (albeit a purchase would be some time off), to pair with my Kef R3's, would this make a good partner do you reckon? Also did you try out the HT bypass mode by any chance?

Ed Selley

AVF Reviewer
Its a DAC. You missed this point

“Decoding is via an unspecified Texas Instruments/Burr Brown DAC”
It's an amplifier with a class A/B amp stage. It also has digital inputs and a BluOS module decoded by unspecified Burr Brown DAC. It is both by manufacturer definition and pretty much anyone else's, a streaming amplifier.

Thatsnotmynaim

Distinguished Member
Its a DAC. You missed this point

“Decoding is via an unspecified Texas Instruments/Burr Brown DAC”
It effectively has a BlueSound streamer built into it as well as a DAC, Amplifier and phono stage.

I didn’t miss the point, it's the same as my NAD M10, Naim SuperUniti & Arcam SA30 this is an amp with a streamer built in, it can stream by itself. My old Naim Supernait 1 was an amp with just a DAC, it could not stream without external streamer.

I think you’re missing the point. Amp + DAC is one thing, Amp + DAC + Streamer is another thing.

Last edited:

Ed Selley

AVF Reviewer
Thanks for the review Ed. I'm quite keen on the basic amplifier (albeit a purchase would be some time off), to pair with my Kef R3's, would this make a good partner do you reckon? Also did you try out the HT bypass mode by any chance?

I didn't try the bypass. It's an article of faith that something like that will work as described really; I've not encountered one not doing so. I can see the KEF being a decent match; the Roksan certainly has the power to get the job done.

mistuk

Standard Member
I’ve got one (bought just before Christmas) if anyone wants any questions answered. I’ve got a few minor issues that Roksan are investigating, but very pleased with the sound

StefanBFC

TB Rich

horrible remote
Small, simple, quite elegant really. Has volume, mute, input selection, and the basic media controls for BluOS - it's quite Apple-esq in it's design. I'd be interested to know what part of it constitutes horrible!?

I don't own one, not even remotely interested in buying either, but curious what's wrong with the remote as I think it's pretty decent looking and despite the fact that queuing up music etc is clearly going to be done with mobile, a basic small remote to play/pause and volume control, is just so much quicker and more tactile than using said mobile device!
I've been streaming for a long while now since early Squeezebox days, and I still like a slim remote by me for those immediate functions (namely play pause for when the doorbell or phone rings!).

Morangie57

Novice Member
Small, simple, quite elegant really. Has volume, mute, input selection, and the basic media controls for BluOS - it's quite Apple-esq in it's design. I'd be interested to know what part of it constitutes horrible!?

I don't own one, not even remotely interested in buying either, but curious what's wrong with the remote as I think it's pretty decent looking and despite the fact that queuing up music etc is clearly going to be done with mobile, a basic small remote to play/pause and volume control, is just so much quicker and more tactile than using said mobile device!
I've been streaming for a long while now since early Squeezebox days, and I still like a slim remote by me for those immediate functions (namely play pause for when the doorbell or phone rings!).
I think he's peeved because he was called out on the "Streamer" issue 😂

mistuk

Standard Member
I tried it with Kef R3 and LS50 meta. Not a huge difference between them on my listening with this - I went with the Metas for the size difference but it sounded great with the R3s.

I’m using HT Bypass mode. Couple of issues. In this mode when the amp is effectively in maximum gain you can hear a quiet but audible from the listening position buzz / hum on the right channel only. I’ve spoken with Sevenoaks where I bought it from and their display model does the same. Have asked Roksan about it, they are getting back to me.

It happens on all inputs when the volume is cranked up to the max - can’t hear it when music playing, but can when there’s no music.

Other issue is that in auto standby mode using HT Bypass the amp turns itself off after 20 mins as though there was no signal. You can overcome this by turning auto standby off, but Roksan looking into this too

marinmv1

Standard Member
Thanks for the review, great timing as I’m off to a dealer to listen to the Attessa today. Going to try it with KEF LS50 Metas and Monitor Audio Silver 200 7G’s (can’t find any reviews of these yet). Comparing against the Rega Elex-R.

mistuk

Standard Member
Thanks for the review, great timing as I’m off to a dealer to listen to the Attessa today. Going to try it with KEF LS50 Metas and Monitor Audio Silver 200 7G’s (can’t find any reviews of these yet). Comparing against the Rega Elex-R.
Could you check out the right channel noise for me if you have time as I described in a post above? Thanks

Thatsnotmynaim

Distinguished Member
I’m using HT Bypass mode. Couple of issues. In this mode when the amp is effectively in maximum gain you can hear a quiet but audible from the listening position buzz / hum on the right channel only. I’ve spoken with Sevenoaks where I bought it from and their display model does the same. Have asked Roksan about it, they are getting back to me.

It happens on all inputs when the volume is cranked up to the max - can’t hear it when music playing, but can when there’s no music.

Does it do this with no sources physically connected to the amp, ie just power and speakers?

The latest video from AVForums

Sony Bravia XR A80J OLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

What's new on Netflix UK for February 2022
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
iFi Audio launches ZEN One Signature DAC
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Rotel announces MKII versions of A12, CD14 and RCD-1572 devices
  • By Andy Bassett