ROKSAN Attessa - integrated amp with BluOS streamer

Yorkshire AV

AVForums Sponsor
The new ROKSAN Attessa has started shipping across the UK. The new range consists of:

Integrated Amp (£995)
Integrated Amp with BluOS streamer built in (£1495)
CD Transport (£495)

There's also the new Attessa turntable too designed for the range.

Available in two finishes.

These units are HEAVY! The below is the Streaming amp which if you're familiar with Bluesound means you'll know how easy the setup process is. You can also control inputs via the BluOS app too (much like on the PowerNode).

80w per channel into 8 ohms, 4 digital inputs, MM phono stage built in and 2 additional analog ports.

I've had this one starting its running in period today - driving a set of ELAC VELA FS407 and already enjoying the effortless drive it has.
Being new to Roksan, I was unsure what to expect from it's output - I'd read about some brightness on the forum which made me wonder how this would cope with speakers that are on the brighter side of neutral but I shouldn't have worried. A really balanced output, plenty of warmth but detail where you'd expect there to be detail. This may change as it starts to get run in - I will report back in due course :)

Running the MoFi UltraDeck through the on-board phono stage enables a revealing, very musical (playful) sound that's not overly analytical but provides a natural sound that has you wanting to listen more.

Really impressed with this unit - be good to get your thoughts once you've listened / invested.

245190033_3994990103936283_6248213578653119552_n.jpg

Bonzobull

Novice Member
Not sure why there are no reviews for the Attessa amplifiers. I have bought the streaming amplifier having demo’ed against the Nad C 700. For me the Roksan Attessa has a lot more detail and a more engaging soundstage. Bought to replace a sadly failing Linn Intek Amp that has served me very well for +20 years. 2 weeks in and I’m really happy. Amp is driving a pair of B&W P4 speakers and listening to both streaming tunes on Qobuz and vinyl, putting a smile on my face as I rediscover old favourites but with so much more detail and punch. Well worth adding to your shortlist if you are looking for a new amp / streaming amp in the price range.

Yorkshire AV

AVForums Sponsor
Glad to hear of your story @Bonzobull. Still a new product and suspect they're awaiting for it to get through the reviewers stack.

Agree totally on the "add to shortlist" statement. It's blummin' brilliant!
We've just had delivery of the CD Transport this week so enjoying putting that through its paces too :)

Cribbster

I demo'd it last week. Compared it against a Naim Nait 5si. Overall I thought it was a nice sounding amp. Clear and detailed but overall I didn't feel it had quite the same ....... presence, as the Naim. Odd really, as I haven't really been a big fan of Naim in the past but was advised to at least give it a listen. Used my own speakers (B&W CM6 S2). Still undecided as to whether the Naim really is my next amp though.

SandyF

I'm listening to some KEF R3's on Saturday, to take advantage of the trade in.

The shop is suggesting The Musical Fidelity MSI3, the Attessa or Naim.

gibbsy

Agree with the other two, especially the MF but I found Naim very underwhelming when I auditioned them with KEF R300s around four years ago, Nait XS2. See if you can add a Rega Elex or Elicit to your audition.

SandyF

The shop doesn't stock Rega, and the shop that does, doesn't have KEF.

The Elicit-R is out of stock, because there is a new model on the way shortly.

I tried the Elex-R with Dynaudio Evoke 10, which worked rather well - but the Cambridge CX81 was giving a more detailed sound than the Elex-R, but I wasn't too convinced about the speaker matches at Richer Sounds.

The speakers I've like so far have been the Dynaudio Evoke 10 and the Wharfdale Evo 4.4. The evos had a wider range than the Evoke 10, but the bass ended up dominating with the Rega, and the top end seemed to be lacking.

The Kef R3's with a 20% disount makes them £260 cheaper than the Dynaudio 10's - which is a lot of change.

The state of the economy means shops have got limited ranges. They don't have all the speakers or amps in.

So, I may be goign for the KEF R£, taking them to another shop and then trying them with the Cambridge and the (new) Rega elicit-R depending on the price.

ItsNotAllSnakeOil

I demo'd it last week. Compared it against a Naim Nait 5si. Overall I thought it was a nice sounding amp. Clear and detailed but overall I didn't feel it had quite the same ....... presence, as the Naim. Odd really, as I haven't really been a big fan of Naim in the past but was advised to at least give it a listen. Used my own speakers (B&W CM6 S2). Still undecided as to whether the Naim really is my next amp though.
Have you tried the Roksan K3? Obviously older but possibly a better fit although it's analogue only (as is the Naim). Certainly more power. I recently got one and tried it against my previous Quad Vena 2 and a Cyrus ONE HD. It was better in every way. It was paired with some Dali Oberon 5's though so different speakers to yours.

SandyF

So, I went to the shop and tried the R3s with the Musical Fidelity M3si, Roksan Attessa & Roksan K3.

With the Musical Fidelity, it felt like something was missing. Beethoven's 9th was clipped, it was as if the MF wasn't giving enough juice to the R3s.

Next up was the Attessa - a better fit - Bob Marley was good, but again - the lower end of Beethoven was missing. The strings were playing softly - we knew they were there, but it was pretty thin. There was no definition.

Plug in the K3 and it was like night and day. Bob Marley's vocals came out clealy and well, and Beethoven and Kumasi Washington's Fist of Fury came out clearly. Iwas hearign stuff I hadn't head before.

So, I want for the K3, with the R3s. It produced an exciting combination. The sound staging with the Dynaudio Evoke 10s was better, but the detail was not quite there.

I think you need to pair the R3s with an amp that can deliver a lot of juice to get the R3s singing.

Without the oomph, you are on a hiding to nothing.

I'm getting the 20% off so the R3s.

They both came out at £2,365.

SandyF

Oh, yes. This is the Attessa thread - the Attessa sounded good, but having demoed the Rega elex-R and the Cambridge CXA81 which are roughly the same price, I'd say the Attessa was not as good as the other two.

ItsNotAllSnakeOil

So, I went to the shop and tried the R3s with the Musical Fidelity M3si, Roksan Attessa & Roksan K3.

With the Musical Fidelity, it felt like something was missing. Beethoven's 9th was clipped, it was as if the MF wasn't giving enough juice to the R3s.

Next up was the Attessa - a better fit - Bob Marley was good, but again - the lower end of Beethoven was missing. The strings were playing softly - we knew they were there, but it was pretty thin. There was no definition.

Plug in the K3 and it was like night and day. Bob Marley's vocals came out clealy and well, and Beethoven and Kumasi Washington's Fist of Fury came out clearly. Iwas hearign stuff I hadn't head before.

So, I want for the K3, with the R3s. It produced an exciting combination. The sound staging with the Dynaudio Evoke 10s was better, but the detail was not quite there.

I think you need to pair the R3s with an amp that can deliver a lot of juice to get the R3s singing.

Without the oomph, you are on a hiding to nothing.

I'm getting the 20% off so the R3s.

They both came out at £2,365.
Good stuff, i love my K3. Feel like it delivers in all areas sonically and i can't imagine ever wanting for more power. I am not even bothered that it is analogue only.

Cribbster

Have you tried the Roksan K3? Obviously older but possibly a better fit although it's analogue only (as is the Naim). Certainly more power. I recently got one and tried it against my previous Quad Vena 2 and a Cyrus ONE HD. It was better in every way. It was paired with some Dali Oberon 5's though so different speakers to yours.
No, I haven't. To be honest, I tried a Kandy a few years ago and was completely underwhelmed that I pretty much sidelined Roksan from then on. Talking to the dealer a few weeks ago when they mentioned the new Attessa was coming and it would be worth auditioning is what persuaded me to try it. I was certainly better than the Kandy I tried but it also didn't blow me away.

I guess I'm a fussy so-and-so but I suppose that's what happens when you have no compelling reason to change (besides the desire to want something new and shiny) and you end up looking for perfection. Of the amps I have listened to recently I guess the one that has stood out most is the Lyngdorf. Not sure exactly how I might be able to get that one past Mrs Cribbster though. It looks gorgeous but the price tag will set her quivering (in a not good way). :)

ItsNotAllSnakeOil

No, I haven't. To be honest, I tried a Kandy a few years ago and was completely underwhelmed that I pretty much sidelined Roksan from then on. Talking to the dealer a few weeks ago when they mentioned the new Attessa was coming and it would be worth auditioning is what persuaded me to try it. I was certainly better than the Kandy I tried but it also didn't blow me away.

I guess I'm a fussy so-and-so but I suppose that's what happens when you have no compelling reason to change (besides the desire to want something new and shiny) and you end up looking for perfection. Of the amps I have listened to recently I guess the one that has stood out most is the Lyngdorf. Not sure exactly how I might be able to get that one past Mrs Cribbster though. It looks gorgeous but the price tag will set her quivering (in a not good way). :)
Fair enough, it's a very subjective thing as we know. I had a Quad Vena 2 Play and the DTS software annoyed me so much that i bought a Node 2i just for streaming into the Quad. I felt like i had wasted money on a "featured" amp and i could have got something more traditional but with better sound and more power etc so started looking. That was it then, and i got the K3. I don't regret it one bit and got a good deal on it from RS. So happy. I can't compare it to the Kandy stuff but it sounds brilliant to me.

StefanBFC

Me personally, if I was in the market for an Intergrated amp, it would definitely need some streaming services. Even spotify connect. Otherwise you'll need another £300-500 to add streaming.

This is why the Atessa really interests me over some others.

You'd struggle to sell it on too if it didn't.

ItsNotAllSnakeOil

Me personally, if I was in the market for an Intergrated amp, it would definitely need some streaming services. Even spotify connect. Otherwise you'll need another £300-500 to add streaming.

This is why the Atessa really interests me over some others.

You'd struggle to sell it on too if it didn't.
That’s what I thought until I experienced dts Play Fi. Now I’m happy to let the amplifier do the amplification and the streamer do the streaming. It’s great if you can get one box to do all of it but only if it works well. You can also upgrade the streamer or amp if needed, without having to swap everything. For casual listening with the K3 I actually use the Bluetooth sometimes too. Sounds decent. Swings and roundabouts I suppose.

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Magico announces Titan 15 subwoofer
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Ajax Systems adds UK Socket to expand smart home options
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Best TVs of 2021 - Editor's Choice Awards
  • By Phil Hinton