1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RoHS & WEEE directives

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Dr Diversity, Jun 9, 2005.

1. Dr Diversity

Dr Diversity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have been tasked with checking the compliancy of our products with the above directives. Does anyone have any experience of this. All help gratefully accepted!

:)

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Is that like potty training :confused:

3. Dr Diversity

Dr Diversity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Restriction on the use of Hazardous Substance in electrical & electronic equipment. Waste Electrical & Electronic Equipment. It is all about building products using friendly components and then arranging for disposal

4. Mark Grant

Mark Grant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +171
  5. Chris Muriel

Chris Muriel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +715
    You don't state your company's type of products or business.
    I work for an IC manufacturer and FWIW we have put some info on our website at : www.analog.com/leadfree

Chris Muriel, Manchester.

6. GaryB

GaryB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,267
    If your company is a producer, you might want to take a look at REPIC. They (for a fee) can take care of any recycling required under the WEEE Directive. Most large UK electronics producers (including the one I work for) are members.

http://www.repic.co.uk

7. Dr Diversity

Dr Diversity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Guys, looks like you are on the ball already. I will follow the links up

8. Solomon Grundy

Solomon Grundy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,599
    Farnell also published a brochure on the new legislation, there are exemptins to the new directives.

9. nabby

nabby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,606
    I work for ERM, the environmental consultancy, (www.erm.com) in the Waste Team, as one of the two "experts" on WEEE and know quite a bit about RoHS too.
    We're organising some free workshops around the UK in conjunction with the DTI (we managed the consultation that they ran on the Directives last year) on the RoHS Directive - where are you based?
    Nabby

10. alancolledge

alancolledge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I work for a Waste Management Company and the upcoming regs changes are my responsibillity to implement.
    I would certainly be interested in your seminars. The word on the 'street' is that WEEE will not be ready for 13th August when it is set to come in force.

11. GaryB

GaryB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,267
  12. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    a few years ago i did some stuff on the WEEE directive, I am no expert (no seriously I'm not) but at the time it was a very confusing issue that some companies were using as an opertunity to fleece small businesses.....

13. GaryB

GaryB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,267
    The only change now is that they're now using it to try and fleece larger businesses as well. The company I work for is using REPIC but we still receive numerous approaches from firms with all sorts of scary tactics, usually involving threats of imprisonment to the Directors if we don't comply.

14. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    My experience was mainly to do with disposal of IT gear, which most large companies have on an asset manged basis making it the management companies problem! (or that was my take on it)

15. nabby

nabby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,606
    The word on the street is right. There are product marking rules coming into orce on 13 August 2005, but "producer responsibility" won't start until 01 Jan 06 at the earliest. But at least half of the 25 EU countries won't have it in time either.

I'll dig out the list tomorrow when I'm back in the office and let you know where they are happening.

16. alancolledge

alancolledge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Top man :smashin:

17. nabby

nabby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,606
  18. dduross

dduross

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I came across this thread in a search. I am the Engineering Manager of a printed circuit board shop here in the States. I am also responsible for RoHS compliance for my company. I'd be interested in your opinions. With the French and potentially the Dutch rejecting the EU charter, what weight shall the WEEE and RoHS directives hold? Does anyone know?

19. nabby

nabby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,606
    In my opinion, it has no effect on them whatsoever. The EU Constitution that the French and Dutch voted on is not the same as this and other legislative matters that the European Commission lays out for Member States to tranpose into their national laws.
    The WEEE and RoHS Directives have already been agreed by the 25 EU countries and now all that is left is for the 25 nations to adapt the legislation into their domestic laws.
    The deadline for the WEEE Directive to be transposed was 13 August 2004 but almost all of the countries missed this. They are now looking to have it in place in the coming months, but naturally, some are quicker than others.
    The deadline for the RoHS Directive is 1 July 2006, at which point all EEE (Electrical and Electronic Equipment) must comply with the RoHS Directive or it can be removed from sale in the whole of the EU.

20. dduross

dduross

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the clarification. If member states pass their own versions of the directives then there are potentially 25 slightly different versions of WEEE and RoHS. If this observation is correct, do you have an idea as to which member state has the toughest legislation in process? I like to plan for the worst and hope for the best.

21. nabby

nabby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,606
    There will be 25 different versions of the legislation, in terms of WEEE. As to which country has the toughest and which has the easiest, well, the Directive states minimum requirements that have to be met. Countries can go over and beyond this but are unlikely to. Any difference will come down to treatment standards, collection systems, registration requirements and costs. Your best bet would be to get some professional advice (we are currently working for a wide vcariety of European, Asian and US clients on this issue and as such I cannot give much away here). :) We are at www.erm.com and I am based in the London office. :D

RoHS should be the same across all member states although the TAC (Technical Advisory Committee) at the Commission are trying iron out some of the ambiguities such as exemptions. Expect this process to go on for a few more months.

22. Dr Diversity

Dr Diversity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does anyone know of any, free, seminars going on in the South East. I can't make the Oxford & Cambridge Farnell ones next week but I will be in the ERM one at London. I am still trying to get my head around the requirements and will take all the help on offer!