1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rogue Squadron III on GC: Supports PAL progressive??

Discussion in 'General Video Gaming Chat' started by mattsimis, Sep 27, 2003.

1. mattsimis

mattsimis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
  2. BrianC

BrianC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    I think its unlikely, as I've seen reported here that experienced users can't get a progressive scan image out of a PAL gamecube using freeloader. This doesn't apply to all cubes but to a significant number to suggest that:

1) Prog scan is possible via freeloader (as some have reported success)
    2) Nintendo removed prog scan from the early batches of cubes

meaning that if Nintendo did decide to add prog scan to new games it wouldn't work for everyone, something I don't think they would risk.

3. mattsimis

mattsimis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Yep, that makes sense.

I have a freeloader and a Panasonic Plasma screen. The only NTSC game I have however is Animal Crossing, not really a visual rollercoaster of a game, so I cant tell if it *really* is running in PS. It does prompt and ask "Do you want to run in Progressive Scan?" when using the B button.

Matt

4. James45

James45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I thought the prog scan processing had been removed from all PAL cubes.

5. mattsimis

mattsimis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Well, that is the question. Anyone know if a Panasonic Plasma 5 series can display details on the signal currently being displayed?

What it looks like is PS is there and its title dependant. When using the B button it appears PAL titles droped it in favour of PAL60 (or standard mode) while NTSC titles feature PS support (or standard mode).

Matt

6. BrianC

BrianC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    some can and some can't. Once you've selected the prog scan option (only available on some NTSC titles, mainly the nintendo ones) if you just get a black screen then your cube can't handle it. If you get a rolling or flickering picture then your cube can, but your TV can't

The panny plasmas can defintaley do NTSC prog scan, not sure about pal prog scan, Neil Mcrae should know (as he has one). The cube only outputs ntsc prog scan at the moment.

7. mattsimis

mattsimis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Update:

I have the Panasonic 5 series and the NTSC Version of Animal Crossing on a PAL cube. After forcing the game to PS mode (with the "b" button) I checked the Service Menu and confirmed that the PAL Cube was outputting 525p, as expected.

Therefore Im confident all NTSC titles that support PS also do so on PAL Cubes (via Freeloader). My Cube was purchased about 6months after launch in Europe.

Matt

8. Erpland

Erpland

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does anyone have a source for Progressive scan being 'Removed' from PAL gamecubes?
    It seems there have been rumours flying around on the net since day one but no firm proof :nono: there were also rumours that the Digital port was inactive or even that it wasnt a Digital port.
    I have an Early PAL Gamecube from launch and all my progressive scan games work fine on it (with the exception of messed up colours in Metroid Primes intro sequence, dont forget that the component cable is an official PAL product.
    I'ts the software that needs to be coded to support Prog scan, PAL Gamecube software isnt so far.

My Gamecube automaticly brings up the Progressive Scan selection screen using a Projector without holding the red button, when the Cube is plugged into my Panasonic (non Prog Scan) TV using Component in sockets if I hold down the red I can get the selection screen.
    I think it is down to the equipment you are running the Gamecube on whether you are successful or not.