Rogue One: A Star Wars Story 4K Blu-ray Review & Comments

Yes it does, my Italian copy is due for release in 2 weeks and that will only be £15:)
Do you have a link for this? and does it work out £15 in total?

Do you have a link for this? and does it work out £15 in total?

Was back in March when they slashed the price of all the Star Wars UHDs, now they are back to full price and no cheaper than Amazon.de but I still have an extra copy which will be £18 delivered, plan on offering it in the classifieds when it arrives for cost plus postage inside the U.K.

Oh and I will double dip and I will get 4k version of rouge only the moment it is released in UK at full price for Atmos track and because I like it so much :)

Saying this I have watched Rogue without 3d and it was uninspiring in compare but it was probably my 5th or 6th viewing so it also must have played the role.

The final space battle in Rouge in 3d with perfect OLED blacks and full passive 1080p per eye is easily best and just breathtaking space battle, not only of any SW movies but of any sci-fi.

Oh and I will double dip and I will get 4k version of rouge only the moment it is released in UK at full price for Atmos track and because I like it so much :)

Saying this I have watched Rogue without 3d and it was uninspiring in compare but it was probably my 5th or 6th viewing so it also must have played the role.

The final space battle in Rouge in 3d with perfect OLED blacks and full passive 1080p per eye is easily best and just breathtaking space battle, not only of any SW movies but of any sci-fi.

You can “add” the Atmos track to the 3D video if you can play 3D MKVs or have a Blu Ray burner

Thanks Cas.

I pretty much agree with your review but I still find the start of Rogue One puzzlingly 'basic' for want of a better word. But then it gets better...and better and just keeps doing that right to the very end too. I would say its my favourite of the newer Star Wars films but TFA seems to get better on repeat watches and I still haven't watched TROS - I must be the only one here who hasn't though! :D

You can “add” the Atmos track to the 3D video if you can play 3D MKVs or have a Blu Ray burner

So I heard. I might be tempted to explore this option in the future but to do it at least quasi legally I would have to own both release anyway.

Also ATM my c6 is downstairs where and my c9 Atmos setup is upstairs so no way to combine them.

I am I looking to correct it at some stage. Probably by adding Atmos downstairs.

Can I ask where you got the UK 4k disc from to complete the review as it's not been or even scheduled to be release yet in the UK ?

Screenshot 2020-05-04 at 13.35.09.png

Thanks for the review, Cas.

Much as I enjoyed reading it though, it's caused me a bit of mental anguish as I'm now desperate to watch it LoL. I was going to watch Rogue One on Disney+ as part of my chronological Star Wars Saga UHD rewatch but after seeing a few reviews of the US UHD disc and them saying that, whilst still great looking, the Disney+ version pales in comparison to the disc, I held off. Those were USA Disney+ comparisons too, where Rogue One is still being shown in 2160p rather than the 1440p we're currently getting in the UK.

I've got the Italian disc coming in a few weeks (hopefully) so will watch it then. I'd rather being watching it now after reading the review. I can be patient at the moment as I've still got plenty of Star Wars to watch. I've been watching the films on disc every few evenings and still have The Last Jedi and Rise Of Skywalker to watch. Finished The Mandalorian on Friday and will watch Disney Gallery: The Mandalorian ep1 tonight. I've been watching The Clones Wars animated series for the first time and I'm loving it. Only partway through season 2 (the second battle of Geonosis episodes in season 2 that I've recently watched were epic) so got plenty left to watch. Lockdown has been very Star Wars for me.

Can I ask where you got the UK 4k disc from to complete the review as it's not been or even scheduled to be release yet in the UK ?

View attachment 1293247

The land of typos. They're selling it cheap at the moment.

Although if you made it that far, I'm sure you'd have figured it out from the opening line:

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story comes to US 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray in advance of even an announcement over a UK equivalent;

Rouge one is a different beast in 3d. It is one of the best 3d release ever and I like to think that i own and have watched 90% of them all.

For me, because of amazing 3d it is best SW movie. Without 3d i would put it in 7th spot behind all pre Disney crap.

Surprisingly after all those years and countless rewatch I rate ep 1-3 over 4-6. Because it is still Lucas and because of the amazing scale (of the world) expansion in compare to 4-6. Of course my heart stays with 4-6 but best immersion I do get from 1-3 (with skipping through all jar-jar nonsense and love story witch would not convince even my cat, and probably few others scenes / motives).

Disney creations other then rouge are just unwatcheble for me.
If you have to do "(with skipping through all jar-jar nonsense and love story witch would not convince even my cat, and probably few others scenes / motives)" then that is not great lol. I don't hate the prequels at all. Ep.1 has the bast light sabre battle on film outside of Studio 3c's reimagining. RotJ used to be my favourite because of the land speeders but now I've grown up, it just looks like a kids movie. Empire and Rogue One are easily my favourite. But going against popular opinion, I really liked Solo and I would put it ahead of the prequel trilogy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reports are the majority of the film was re-shot/re-worked as she was originally a Rebel captain but that was completely changed as was the flow of the ending and gone are several Vader scenes too.

Gareth Edwards was warned by Disney to change a few things, but apparently he decided against it. This was according to director/writer Christopher McQuarrie. He was the initial go-between Disney and Gareth and would relay messages to the director. He also worked on the script. I'm not sure what Disney didn't like about Edwards' work.

Once the film was shot and a rough cut was put together, Disney didn't like it. So they hired Tony Gilory to quickly rewrite portions of the movie, direct those new scenes and guide the post-production. Gareth was relegated to a watching brief.

A lot of ideas from the first half of the movie are never realised. A lot of it was unfocused. The second half was much better, though.

The first half of the movie is a mess, but the second half is much better. Notice that they cut out a lot of Felicity Jones' scenes. She is supposed to be the protagonist, but they cut around her. I suspect that she wasn't good in those scenes.
'Rogue One' went through a fairly comprehensive reshoot. Remember the Tie Fighter the raises up in front of Jyn Erso in the trailer? There also a scene in Trailer 2 showing a different encounter between Darth Vader & Director Kernic. And K-2SO introduction was changed considerably.

Movies often change during the editing process, as the production team realise some material is superfluous and other material needs adding, to make the story more coherent / interesting. Just because some of Felicity Jones' lines or scenes weren't used in the final version of the movie, doesn't means she wasn't very good. I think she has real gravitas in the movie, and think the casting is excellent.

However, it's not clear to what extend the reshoots were done with Director Gareth Edwards' blessing, as control passed to Tony Gilroy for the extended reshoots and editing. I agree that the fist part of a the movie is a little choppy between scenes, but it definitely improves.

It's my favourite 'Star Wars' movie after the original trilogy and the 4K UHD Disc (US import ) is breathtakingly good.

Regards,
James.

Last edited:
Watch it last night, but only on Blu-ray. Haven't upgraded to 4K yet

My favourite of the Disney Star Wars flicks . There is not much to dislike in this film so PQ and soundstage makes it a must purchase for myself.

Watch it last night, but only on Blu-ray. Haven't upgraded to 4K yet

When you do upgrade, it really worth getting the 4K disc for the exquisite image quality and immersive audio.

Regards,
James.

Thanks for the review Cas, I agree that this is one of the better Star Wars fims in the franchise. We’ll definnately pick this up on 4K Blu-ray. The new podcasts are really good too. 👍

"The first and last great modern Star Wars" movie sums it up perfectly. It's an absolute cracker of a film, and really is what the modern trilogy should have been. Pretty sure I enjoyed Rogue One as much as an adult as I enjoyed the original trilogy as a kid, which is the bar to be set for these films.

Thanks for the review Cas, can still remember watching that final scene in the cinema with a smile on my face, love the LFE as Vader lights up his sabre :eek:

I thought Forrest Whitaker was terribly miscast in this film. Really ruined the first half of the film for me.....

No one's saying it, so I'm going to say it. This movie gets far too much credit for having a sad ending. Because of the sad ending I just feel it gets afforded a free pass on being so, so average for much of its running time. I don't hate this film, but it's a long, long way from being my favourite Star Wars film. It's just in the middle somewhere. It's... alright. The same way Solo is alright. But it's no Empire, and even in terms of the new movies The Force Awakens is 98 times more entertaining than this.

If you love it, great. I'm glad. To me, this film is just okay.

I disagree completely. I don't give it any extra credit for having a "sad ending". The ending is what I expected - after all, we knew the outcome after watching ANH. Nothing sad about it.

Its simply a great Star Wars movie - and far better as a movie overall than than any of Ep 7 - 9 (e.g. Ep7 - rehash of ANH, Ep 8 - the Mary Poppins in Space scene). No free pass required or requested.

Sure its not as good as ESB (one of the few sequels to surpass the original) - but come on, not many movies are.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom