1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rogers LS55 which amp ?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by briles, Nov 5, 2003.

1. briles

briles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all
    I have the above speakers, a Cambridge Audio CD4 and my existing amp (Cambridge Audio A1 mk2) doesn't have enough grunt to power the speakers when loud - distorts badly. Which would be the best amp for the job ?
    Cheers, Dave.

2. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,147
    Not completely familiar with the LS55 but if it is a difficult drive like many other Rogers designs, then something with hefty reserves of current/power would be good. You didn't specify a budget but perhaps the NADC320BEE or for a little more the Marantz PM7200 (both of which make light work of difficult speakers) would be potential candidates. Cambridge have two new amps out shortly at £200 and £250 that could be worth a look as well.

3. briles

briles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks TOF, forgot budget, but must be cheap or secondhand !

4. banners

banners

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Briles, I used to own a pair and bloody good they were too!! I used them for a while with a Cambridge A300 (I think?) amplifier with good effect. I then upgraded to a NAD C370 and they were a good deal better driven. They used to live about 12-15" from the rear wall for best effect in my situation. About 8 months ago they were upgraded to Mission 780's but they kept well in comparison losing a little in detail but not much. Bass was deeper as would be expected. All IMO of course:rolleyes:
    cheers steve