1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rogers LS1 & Roksan Hotcakes - Rated?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by digitaldave, Jun 12, 2003.

1. digitaldave

digitaldave

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I've got a pair of Rogers LS1 speakers that I picked up a few years ago when putting together my first surround kit - they were ex-demo ones, and I had no idea about which speakers are good and which were not so good. I've heard that Rogers in general are good speakers, but what about the LS1's specifically? Does anyone have any experience with them? Also, the same question about the Roksan Hotcakes...

The next question is, should I keep them in my current surround system? At the moment, I have:

Sherwood 5.1 amp
    Rogers LS1 front
    B&W CC3 centre
    Roksan Hotcake (I think that's what they're called) rear

I've looked at getting a complete speaker package to replace the mix and match I have now, partly for aesthetic reasons (thos Hotcakes look very odd!). However, if the feeling is that what I have is a good combination, I'll stick with that :).

Cheers,

Dave.

2. jameslindsey

jameslindsey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    LS1s are great I purchased them with a view to rear speakers but they were better than my old Wharfedale fronts. Now got the LS33/AB33 fronts and CS33 centre to match. Very neutral detailed speakers, enjoy.

3. Bassbin

Bassbin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    I've got a pair of Hotcakes and they do some things very well (imaging and midrange spring to mind) and they have a great piano black finish. However, I've never tried them as surrounds but they might work. They don't have much bass which shouldn't matter but they also don't have a tweeter (single full range driver) so the HF response rolls off which may take some of the ambience away from rear effects. If you can sell them then I think you'll be better off with some Eltax or Mission rears as that's what everyone else seems to use for budget rears.

4. Babylon

Babylon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Had a set of Rogers LS55's Floorstanders,but thought I would get a better new set,so I bought a complete Kef Q series surround setup and sold my rogers to a friend,never had any idea just how good the Rogers were until I set them up at my friends a few weeks after I had my Q1's,now don't let the wife hear me say this,but if I was honest,I would say that the Rogers were better than the Q1's by quiet some margine,but after I'v posted this I'm not gonna be honest any more,makes me wonna cry;) ,but if the LS1's are anything like the 55's then I would say you have a stonkingly underated set of speakers.

5. narabdela

narabdela

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    The LS1's are widely used by broadcasters for near field monitoring because of their neutrality. Hold on to them!

:smashin: :smashin:

6. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a pair of these myself which I use purely for two channel music in my dining room. Along with an old musical fidelity amp, they are both quite superb. Do not let go of these speakers.