1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rogers "Export" Studio Monitor speakers - has anyone heard of them???

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by planetzany, Dec 19, 2002.

1. planetzany

planetzany

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Please do have a look at this link, I have just bought these on Ebay, the owner thinks that they are the same as LS1 Studio Monitor and were made by Rogers to get around licensing laws, as they were originally built for the BBS. If anyone can help here it would be really well received. Thanks, and here is the link... Also does anyone know of any other speakers that would go down well with valve amps such as the Audio Innovations range?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=3276&it
    em=1944011756&rd=1

Elizabeth
    London

Attached Files:

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    The link no longer works. I haven't come across these speakers before but did used to own a pair of Rogers LS3/5A which were the mini monitors designed by the BBC and manufactured under licence by Rogers amongst others.

They were superb speakers, designed in the age of valves and still command good money on Ebay.

3. LanceM

LanceM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got a pair!

Did I read the EBay page correctly - you paid less than GBP 200 for them??? All I can say is you have the bargain of this century - assuming they are 100% working.

I've had mine for about 20 years and the sound from them today is still as stunning as when I first got them. And I bought them second hand from a friend. He'd paid GBP 750 for them new (and that would have been 25 years ago) and I paid GBP 350 (and got the same stands by the look of things - the stands are important by the way!).

As the other poster mentioned, they were designed by the BBC workshops and built under the Rogers name for sale. If I recall correctly, there were Studio Monitors and Export Monitor initially released. Then came the LS3/5 (you can find a sort of history at http://www.wokeehong.com.hk/rogers/english/history.html, but I know that the initial commission was for the Studio monitors).

As I said, the stands are very important. The speakers are greatly affected by positioning - in the wrong position they are dull and flat, in the right position they come to life. The most surprising part is the depth of bass response - when you look at the speakers themselves they only have a 6" or 7" mid/bass cone, but the bass just keeps going down! It's all in the design I guess, but they can leave impressions on your chest at minute volumes.

I recently had a head-to-head with my brother-in-law. He'd paid nearly GBP 3000 for a Bose system (with some fancy swivelling speakers on fancy uplighter stands). Sorry, there was no contest (except his were more expensive and smaller!).

Happy listening!

4. LanceM

LanceM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  5. analogue_lover

analogue_lover
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just was given a pair of Export Monitors...top driver (a mid?) gone. What is the best replacement? How high should stands be for these guys?

Thanks!
    Mike
    CANADA

6. Sy1441

Sy1441

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +254
    I flung a pair of BBC commision rogers monitors in the bin when i moved house. Got them for nowt and thought they were worthless old speakers :rolleyes:

7. monkeyra

monkeyra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Lol, I bet you feel sick....

Rogers are fantastic speakers. My dad has them, he got me into them, and I've currently got some DB101's.

I would like to own a pair of studio's though.

8. LanceM

LanceM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    AFAIR the little speaker is a top only - the larger speaker is a bass/mid combined.

I took pictures and scans of all the information I had on mine when I answered Planetzany, but a very recent server crash has put paid to them.

I'll restore them as soon as I've finished fixing the paying customers problems, and post when I've done that. I'll also measure up the stands for you.

Mine are still in service and I'm still over the top pleased with them - they're now the front set for my home cinema system, as well as standard stereo.

9. Globallyoff

Globallyoff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a pair of Export Monitors purchased new in the mid 1970's as I remember. They are teak veneer complete with the stands. My question is that one of the woofers has a dragging voice coil. I opened the cabinet and turned it upside down without much help. What type of replacement speaker would be appropriate assuming I can't get original?

And lastly, anyone care to guess what these are worth?

TIA
    Keith

10. LanceM

LanceM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Keith,

Well, as I toasted my mid/woofers back in the '80s, I thought that maybe I got a generic driver. I bought them from Swisstone, who were handling Rodgers then, but as I've just opened up the speaker to have a look, I got "genuine" replacements.

I seem to recall that they didn't cost me too much either ~£40 for the pair including postage (against the £400 I paid for the speakers, and that was 2nd hand!)

You may get some help from http://www.mhennessy3.f9.co.uk/rogers/service.htm - I can upload a picture of my driver unit, but all you can see it the Rogers/Swisstone label so I doubt it's any help.

What are they worth - don't know. What would I pay to replace them - good question! Richer Sounds have Morduant Shorts starting at £200, so I guess I'd easily pay £200 to replace the Rogers. If I could head-to-head them I'd know if I'd pay more than that.

All the best,