Roger Waters The Wall

Discussion in 'Music & Music Streaming Services' started by xfilian, Nov 17, 2015.

Tags:
  1. xfilian

xfilian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +190
    Received this yesterday on Blu Ray and settled in last night to watch it. It comes with a Dolby Atmos soundtrack but I am not kitted out for that yet so it was plain old True HD for me. Having attended the show 6 times I was looking forward to reliving the show and I was not disappointed. Whilst the feeling of actually attending this monstrous show can never be recaptured on a 55 Inch TV, it does as good a job as one could expect. Seeing the show captured professionally from numerous different angles brought back the awe I felt when watching it live. Being a Waters related release, the production values are sky high. The picture quality is something to behold and the sound - wow. A new standard has been set in my live Blu Ray collection. Just the opening number (In the Flesh?) on it own - just amazing. I sat there gigging like a kid at the end of it. When the plane crashes into the wall at the end of the track, there is some serious low bass which had the sofa shaking. Just tremendous. The live show is accompanied by a documentary showing Waters travelling to various sites of personal significance in Europe, which is both informative and moving.

For any Waters/Floyd fans out there, this is highly recommended.

2. Nexus43

Nexus43

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +689
    I could not agree more saw this show live at the O2 the night before Gilmour and Mason appeared (gutted) but watching this, this afternoon, simply stunning, brought it all back the sound is incredible the bar has been set, I was singing along and grinning like a Cheshire Cat,Brilliant. Rush R 40 and The Who at Hyde park on Friday wot a week.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2015
  3. english_bob

english_bob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +220
    I saw him at the O2. What a show.

I think certain elements of the film didn't do justice to the stage show. The stage show is that good! For example, In the Flesh has quite a bit of a build up before the music starts.

Loved the self referential ending as well, nice touch.

I thought the PCM 2.0 had more "balls" to it over the Dolby mix though. Give it a try.

4. xfilian

xfilian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +190
    Yeah will give it a try next time I watch it.

I know what you mean about the missing intro. Also, the cuts between Nobody Home and Vera and BTBBH and Comfy Numb are rather jarring. It would have been nice to have a concert only option. But that is Waters - he makes things the way he wants them, not what the fans want. Some will see that as arrogance, others will see it as artistic integrity. Whatever, it is still a stunning film of the greatest live show I have ever seen (and I have seen a few).

Nexus43: I was lucky enough to be there on the Gilmour night, as well as two other nights. The Gilmour night was very good - all down to pure nostalgia really as he fluffed the lyrics and the guitar solo. Probabkly the nerves associated with working woth Rog again after all those years! I was interviewed by the BBC's Colin Paterson outside the venue and when I got home at 2 in the morning I tuned into 5 live to hear myself jabbering like an over excited idiot on the radio. Surreal night.

5. overkill

overkill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,207
    Was wondering what this was like? So thanks for the info. Also good to see the set has stood the test of time. With modern effects Waters has probably massively upgraded it from when I saw it (Pink Floyd The Wall - Earls Court 1981), and as such it's developed beyond the Floyd days.

6. systemsdead

systemsdead
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,422
    Caught this earlier and found the whole thing quite a mixed bag especially Waters reflecting on past loss with close family members it just all felt very forced and very cheap way of getting a message across,the concert segments felt over produced and far to safe with a casual and very tired feel to them,visually though i really couldn’t fault this at all.

7. Tetlee

Tetlee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,812
    This is the biggest disappointment for me, haven't purchased it yet as have had to put a tight limit on spends for now but was really surprised when I read this for the first time.

I'll be happy watching it as is, but for repeated viewings I would like the option of sitting and watching the complete show without interruption, the option should be there.

Probably wait now as will give me an answer to the inevitable "what do you want for Christmas" questions. I went to the Dublin show, wasn't my first choice of venue when they went on pre-sale but thrilled that it was where I ended up, absolutely wonderful venue and perfect for this show(plus got to meet Dony and his missus there, what more can you ask for :)).