• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Rocky with the 18-200VR

johnaalex

Distinguished Member
I would normally use my 50mm 1.4 for portraits, but I took these today with the 18-200VR and I am very pleased with the sharpness and detail.

All comments welcome.

1) He is not the most co-operative of models

2)

3)

4)

5)

Click on a pic for a larger version.

johnaalex

Distinguished Member
I prefer the last one, as you can see his eyes better (they're open, and there's light on them). It would be nicer with a shallower depth of field though.

Thanks mate, with regard to DoF the lowest on th 18-200 is 3.5 and the last two were taken at 4.5.

johnaalex

Distinguished Member

johnaalex

Distinguished Member
First 3 are a bit dark on the dogs head, Second 2 are much better, did you use flash?

No flash, the first three were taken with the sun to right whereas the sun was straight on for the last shots.

richard plumb

Distinguished Member
Best use the 3.5 then :) That table is just a teeny bit distracting. Nice shot though, good angle and framing.

except for 3.5 you're probably at 18-35ish , they usually change up pretty quickly. So you'd have naturally more DoF. I'd guess you'd get the least DoF with it at full zoom close in.

bokeh isn't the prettiest, but I got good results with my sigma 18-200 OS. Sometimes I think we obsess about quality and the end results (certainly at web or standard print sizes) are probably not noticeable.

DoF from a fast lens not withstanding.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom