Rocky IV: Rocky vs Drago - The Ultimate Director's Cut Movie Review & Comments

Casimir Harlow

Movies Editor
Reaction score
Thanks Cas, Great review.

I for one have always loved this film, It's just one huge training montage to me, Almost a "best of" type affair.

But I always thought it was well put together and the soundtrack is simply superb :cool:

I have been waiting for your review and can confirm I will be buying this asap :D

Thanks for the review 👍. Hopefully we will see a 4K disc at some point.

Will wait for a disc if it’s comes out £13.99 is a bit steep for digital

Rocky! Rocky! Rocky!
As definitive of the 80s as leg warmers & a pastel pink cardigan.
Can't wait to see this. Nothing too serious, just bloody good entertainment.
Thanks for the review Cas. A must see for me & the little lady!

I enjoyed watching this but cannot remember the original. The picture looked way too smooth for me DNR used? and was way too bright at the start.

I remember seeing Rocky IV at the cinema as a kid and loved it even though I had never seen any of the others. A little later I saw the the original and thought it was really boring. In retrospect of course I can see that they are very different movies and despite the cheese, IV is probably still one of, if not the best 4-quel of any franchise - I’m struggling to think of better. I’m looking forward to seeing this, but think I can wait for it to land on one of the streamers for free.

£8.99 on iTunes. Just purchased :)
It was £13.99 earlier when I commented, I am fairly certain it will drop again in the next few weeks.

It was £13.99 earlier when I commented, I am fairly certain it will drop again in the next few weeks.
Is it just for a one off rental ? Or do we get to keep it on digital. Forgive me but I haven’t done the rental thing before

On iTunes it’s for purchase. Not yet available to rent.
Thanks. It mentioned rental so want sure. Thought it was a lot for a one off viewing so that’s good to know . Cheers

Well how can you reference marvel with rocky, watching this cut I generally thought this was pulled from another universe, this was just wonderfully put together and a joy to watch, it did leave me wondering just how much B-roll footage they had to work with as just about the full movie has been manipulated, suddenly rocky 4 was a movie made in 2021 but alas no smart phones or digital media which given how modern it is, does seem a little out of place. And for full disclosure i am a huge rocky fan well up to rocky 4.lol although balboa did have some redemption qualities after that effort that was rocky 5.

I just watched a YouTube “documentary“ filmed on an iPhone of Stallone going through the re editing process in a locked down Office building in California. He is actually very self aware and really interesting as he talks through the nature of art and the difficulties of a personal vision involving 500 other people. He also has fairly good biceps for a 75 year old. It made me want to see the finished product but how on earth they grade Dolby vision and deliver Dolby Atmos on what appeared to be a ancient MacBook and a 720o plasma is beyond me!

Had another check £8.99 worth a watch at that price imo

Great review Cas, I’ve been looking forward to this for a while, loved this as a kid along with the soundtrack. I don’t know why, but I still put the accent on and say “If he dies….he dies”

Bought this at £8.99 on iTunes.

Absolutely loved it! The tone is pretty dark throughout, some flashes of Drago’s feelings under the super Soviet exterior and a tight pace throughout. The first half an hour really felt like a tribute to Apollo Creed.

I’m a Rocky fan but I never really watched 4 as much as 1,2 and 3. This will definitely be watched again - I’m so pleasantly surprised that this movie really delivers on the promise.

8.5/10

It's been years since I've seen the original so I couldn't really pinpoint what had changed but I really enjoyed this. It's easy to dismiss Stallone as both an actor and director but he knows how to play to the crowd. I'll still randomly hold my arms aloft and shout 'Drago' after climbing up the stairs at the local multi storey car park, much to my wifes annoyance.

Thanks Cas. There was a good chat about this on the "Ty & that Guy" Podcast. Apparently, Stallone suggested that they throw some actual punches at each other to make it look completely realistic, but after the huge, fully fit & ready to rumble Dolph Lundgren landed a couple of real ones, it was decided very quickly to go back to the usual format! ;)

I remember seeing Rocky IV at the cinema as a kid and loved it even though I had never seen any of the others. A little later I saw the the original and thought it was really boring. In retrospect of course I can see that they are very different movies and despite the cheese, IV is probably still one of, if not the best 4-quel of any franchise - I’m struggling to think of better. I’m looking forward to seeing this, but think I can wait for it to land on one of the streamers for free.

Loads of fourth movies to choose from but in my opinion these few are better than Rocky IV...

1. Mad Max: Fury Road
2. Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol
3. Rambo IV
4. Avengers: Endgame (arguable whether qualifies)
5. Thunderball (arguable whether qualifies)
6. The Matrix 4 (Hopefully!!!)
7. Fast & Furious (can't decide)

Special mention for Jaws 4 & Police Academy, Citizens on Patrol!

Love the soundtrack to the film, but it's one hell of a xenophobic film. And Rocky's speech at the end doesn't make it any better.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom