Rocky III 4K Blu-ray Review & Comments

Simon Crust

Editorial Contributor
Reaction score
I love this film ♥️♥️ great review thanks

7?

Clubber Lang is worth an 8 all by himself!! 😂

"By his own admission, Stallone had run out of ideas when it came to the third sequel, so instead of writing characters in and around boxing, he made an action film about boxing; essentially re-making the first two films as one, except this time the champion to beat was Rocky himself."

In the interests of advanced pedantry, isn't the third film the second sequel?
Asking for a friend...

7?

Clubber Lang is worth an 8 all by himself!! 😂
There seems to be a huge inflation gap between films released prior to ~2010 and after on this website, to a point that they can be considered different scales entirely. I could see how Rocky 3 - cheesy, montage-heavy, rather brash movie - gets a 7/10 when compared to Rocky 1, T2, Godfather, Once Upon a Time in America etc.

However no way in the world this movie - still fondly remembered after almost 40 years, still infinitely rewatcheable - can get a 7 when Creed 3 gets an 8, let alone the MCU fodder getting all these 8s and 9s over the years...

What's Mr T's favourite yoghurt ?

A Petit Filou

Collects coat.......

There seems to be a huge inflation gap between films released prior to ~2010 and after on this website, to a point that they can be considered different scales entirely. I could see how Rocky 3 - cheesy, montage-heavy, rather brash movie - gets a 7/10 when compared to Rocky 1, T2, Godfather, Once Upon a Time in America etc.

However no way in the world this movie - still fondly remembered after almost 40 years, still infinitely rewatcheable - can get a 7 when Creed 3 gets an 8, let alone the MCU fodder getting all these 8s and 9s over the years...

I mean, isn’t this precisely what’s happened? Simon, after all, reviewed the other Rockys. Why would it be an issue if his score doesn’t align with the score for a film he hasn’t reviewed and hasn’t seen?

My Dad had a dodgy VHS of this, which I would watch every Sunday morning without fail for about a year. My favourite part is Carl Weathers desperately trying to run slow enough for Sly to catch him, whilst trying to look like he's going flat out.

I think III is my favourite, although Balboa runs it very close. III has for me the perfect mix of the grit of the first two, with just a bit of the polish that Rocky IV is covered in. Love it.

But the lack of extras for this and II is so disappointing - we could have legendary new commentaries for these films.

My Dad had a dodgy VHS of this, which I would watch every Sunday morning without fail for about a year. My favourite part is Carl Weathers desperately trying to run slow enough for Sly to catch him, whilst trying to look like he's going flat out.

Same here. Cousins folks had a video rental shop in fife and whenever I stayed the dodgy copy was played all the time. I would have been 11 or 12. Loved it , so like you has a special place in my heart.

My fifteen year old self considered Rocky III to be close to the idea of a perfect film, it had everything I needed from cinematic entertainment, action, heroism, friendship, not too much of that lovey doves stuff, a fantastic bad guy, the best training sequence (no messing around being chased by stupid kids in the park like the second one) and even more important, it didn’t outstay it’s welcome clocking in at just over an hour and a half. It was like a greatest hits album of the first two and much as I loved them I knew I loved III even more.

My opinion hasn’t changed much :D

The first 2 are far superior in many ways, however out of the three, I'm just more entertained watching this.

I've also never found a decent explanation of why Rocky is as dumb as a bag of spanners in the first two, and seemingly eats a thesaurus between 2 & 3 (Rocky of 1 & 2 would have thought that was impossible as all the dinosaurs were dead) and comes over as a fairly smart, educated, well-dressed guy which he maintains for the next movie (or two?) then reverts back to being Rocky V1.0

I can understand all the punches to the head and brain damage etc that they bring up IIRC but there's no reason for the difference between 2 & 3.

The first 2 are far superior in many ways, however out of the three, I'm just more entertained watching this.

I've also never found a decent explanation of why Rocky is as dumb as a bag of spanners in the first two, and seemingly eats a thesaurus between 2 & 3 (Rocky of 1 & 2 would have thought that was impossible as all the dinosaurs were dead) and comes over as a fairly smart, educated, well-dressed guy which he maintains for the next movie (or two?) then reverts back to being Rocky V1.0

I can understand all the punches to the head and brain damage etc that they bring up IIRC but there's no reason for the difference between 2 & 3.

I think he just got ‘civilised’ 🤣 to quote Mickey

I always remember 1 & 2 being better films than 3. However, Mr T made it an entertaining spectacle. Along with Hulk Hogan and of course The Eye of the Tiger by Survivor on the soundtrack. They really should get everyone together to do a commentary for this before it's too late.

I always remember 1 & 2 being better films than 3. However, Mr T made it an entertaining spectacle. Along with Hulk Hogan and of course The Eye of the Tiger by Survivor on the soundtrack. They really should get everyone together to do a commentary for this before it's too late.
Exactly, and yet again with the Rocky sequels they’ve made no effort at all with the extras

I love this movie - its just great fun. Mr T & Hulk Hogan in it. What's not to love?

They are better films in classic terms, but parts 3 and 4 are way more accessible (eg to kids) and way more rewatcheable, also one of those movies that when caught on telly, hard to resist watching...

This review is far too harsh.... Of course Rocky would have changed following the wealth of being a world champ for a few years. He's still big hearted (witness him giving Paulie the job in his corner and the fact that Mick lives with him) but he's successful, so he is different and the wealth has blunted his hunger... which is the prominent feature of the film and what Apollo wants him to get back. This success is something that affects almost any fighter (the worst thing that happened to you which can happen to any fighter, you got civilised kid), so I don't see why that development is weak or undeserved. My view of course....!

Just done watching Rocky III, and whilst I enjoy all the movies its always Rocky III that has me on the edge of my seat. Love Mr T in this, amazing. The only time I get pulled out of it slightly is when Mr T is doing the pull ups and making his grunting noises, all I can think about is Eddie Murphy in Delirious.

The absolute laziness of these releases really pisses me off, not only is it only the first 4 films for whatever rights issues there may be, they're just remasters of the existing transfers which have never been great looking and they have the cheek to charge £90.

I've not yet seen the DC of IV and that will probably be the only release I actually buy, I'm going to stick with my Blu-ray set because this is insulting.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom