Rockstars Table Tennis

• Thread starter Deleted member 65413
  • Start date
The game has already been out on the 360 for quite a while now. Besides this thread really belongs in the Wii games forum as that link is for the Wii version. ;)

Haha. Opps!

Wasnt a big fan of the 360 version, but surely this has to be worth another look. Could be suoperb if they nail the controls.

Haha. Opps!

Wasnt a big fan of the 360 version, but surely this has to be worth another look. Could be suoperb if they nail the controls.

could be, although that video is probably the worst promotional video for the Wii version I could've been sold. Half the time the players just seem bewildered by the control or should I say lack of it. I not sure about this at all, especially as the graphics will look bad next to the 360 version. I guess only time will tell but the posters under that video seem equally unimpressed & the french know their RTT, they're the best on XBL by a mile imo.

You can tell they are simply using Wii Sports tennis technique which isnt going to work. They have to get this right or it will be totally useless.

i wasnt a big fan of the 360 version controls either hope the wii nail the controlls or it wil be :censored: looks like this might one to miss (well for me at least)

Apparently all the journalists who have tried it are not happy with the controls. It doesn't have a one to one control system and the swinging of the bat does not corresspond with actually hitting of the ball. Plus the graphics are quite scaled down from the 360 version for obvious reasons.

Not good. Cant see Roackstar releasing a sub par game though. Strange. I wasnt expecting one to one but certainly a decent control setup.

Not good. Cant see Roackstar releasing a sub par game though. Strange. I wasnt expecting one to one but certainly a decent control setup.

It may change between now and release. We will have to wait and see.

Saw this on some random gamers programme on Bravo over the weekend. it looked pretty interesting and it seems that you can apply spin to your shot - which is a pretty big element of table tennis.

The demo shown had automatic feet placement at one level (using the wii remote) and at an advanced level had the nunchuck plugged in to do the feet placement.

It didn't have a split screen, but perhaps this was the single player version.

Looks pretty good to me :thumbsup:

Yeah, it was on GamerTV. Looked pretty responsive as well and the different control options were a nice touch.

from what i have seen it looks like the controls arent 1:1 as in, you move the controller THEN it hits the ball.

to me this is disappointing as i was really looking forward to this game. they need controls like wiisports tennis.

also putting spin on it using the d-pad? that is really rubbish, you should put spin on it depending on the angle at which you hold the controller.

also putting spin on it using the d-pad? that is really rubbish, you should put spin on it depending on the angle at which you hold the controller.

This is a very good point. When you play real table tennis, the main trick is to spot what spin your opponent is applying, by looking at their technique eh a backhand chop will give backspin.

If you apply spin on the controller, you wont have much of a clue what spin is applied.

MB

they need controls like wiisports tennis.

Wii Sports tennis isn't 1:1 - you swing and then the software detects this and swings for the ball in-game. Baseball is 1:1 up until you actually swing and then it becomes a pre programmed gesture again.

I don't think 1:1 mapping would work very well at the moment and I'm yet to see it done.

fair enough, but they need to make the controls at least feel like you are hitting the ball. not hit - wait 3 seconds - then the ball gets to your bat and the player hits it.

also if wii tennis can put spin on the ball using the angle of the remote, so can this game.

not pleased at all, as this could have been an excellent game, but as it is is probably poo.

I'm sure they'll playtest out any major problems.

The real interest here is table tennis was rockstars first use of their RAGE engine - meaning they may have written RAGE to run on the Wii, which is pretty good news considering Epic refused to do the same with Unreal.

Anyone got this today?

Had it on the 360 and quite enjoyed it, now liking the idea of using the Wiimote (even if the demo on GamerTV proves that once again, the Wiimote is a glorified D-Pad).

Looks like some places will be doing it for £24.99 too - got to be good value?

I've already got the 360 version so I'm not sure if I want to get the Wii one as well. I realize it has a different control method due to the wiimote and nunchuk but unless there is anything significantly different I think I will pass. There are just too many new games I want over the next 2-3 months.

I got this on a whim as it looked pretty nifty and thought the missus might like it. :D

Whilst the controls aren't 1:1 for hitting that doesn't really matter once you get into it.

Spin is controlled by pressing the D pad as you take your shot. To give you a clue as to what spin has been applied the ball has a coloured comet tail.

There are 3 control methods:
Standard - uses just the wiimote, player movement automatic
Control Freak - Wiimote for hitting, nunchuck for moving your player
Sharp shooter - wiimote for hitting, nunchuck joystick controls levels of spin

Graphically its pretty good, certainly no complaints.
Sound, well exactly how noisy is ping pong :) However, as you get a rally going the music picks up in tempo which eggs you on a little.

I would class it as similar to Wii Sports Tennis, but with more features and the usual Rockstar level of statistics.

Its definitely on my "will play often" pile :smashin:

I'm also going to add in my vote for this overlooked game :thumbsup:

Wife got it for me for Xmas as she knows I used to play league Table Tennis.
A little hard to get used to after playing Wii Sports Tennis but once you get into it I rate it very highly ! Real time play would be almost impossible IMO as it plays so fast. Once you get used to swinging before the ball arrives and anticipating your opponents placement and spin it becomes a very interesting game. The use of spin and counter spin and the ability to place the ball using either the nunchuk or wiimote position is very well done. Given you can play tournaments, head to heads against another live player WITHOUT reverting to split screen this easily beats Wii Sports Tennis IMO. if you like Wii Tennis and are waiting for another fully specced tennis game you coud do a lot worse with this for £20 !

I got this on a whim as it looked pretty nifty and thought the missus might like it. :D

Whilst the controls aren't 1:1 for hitting that doesn't really matter once you get into it.

Spin is controlled by pressing the D pad as you take your shot. To give you a clue as to what spin has been applied the ball has a coloured comet tail.

There are 3 control methods:
Standard - uses just the wiimote, player movement automatic
Control Freak - Wiimote for hitting, nunchuck for moving your player
Sharp shooter - wiimote for hitting, nunchuck joystick controls levels of spin

Graphically its pretty good, certainly no complaints.
Sound, well exactly how noisy is ping pong :) However, as you get a rally going the music picks up in tempo which eggs you on a little.

I would class it as similar to Wii Sports Tennis, but with more features and the usual Rockstar level of statistics.

Its definitely on my "will play often" pile :smashin:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom