Rocksmith 2014 & Rocksmith+

And a tweet from another of the developers, Nao Hugo. Got to say, I’m a whole lot more optimistic now than I was after the “big” announcement on Friday.

See new Tweets
Tweet

Nao Higo

@naohigo

·
4 Apr

It’s been a long run for RS2014. Much longer than we expected when we made the game. But I can’t wait to share what we’re cooking up next!

RS3 online play?
Not been playing much guitar this year, super busy with work and risk of redundancy.
Fortunately my job is now safe (for the time being) and I am now on holiday, sadly not quite where i had planned to be spending my Easter break :-(.
No excuse not to give the guitars a clean and some news strings and fire up RS2014 again.

Latest RS stats.

Most of the most played each year are not surprising.

I would love to know who has played one song almost 9,000 times :laugh:
483550B5-E841-4F88-9A66-D1D36F770BEA.jpeg

Date for the diary - 12th July.

The Ubisoft showcase event thing, in the absence of E3.

If there’s a new RS coming we should hear about it then. If not, I guess it really is dead.

Ex RS note tracker going back to work at Ubisoft SF.

Got to be to do with RS 3, hasn’t it?

That was my thought, it felt like part of justification to show there is a market out there to justify the cost. Given Rockband is still going I wonder if these type of games make money over a longer period, which is what the industry is moving to through subscriptions.

Hopefully we will find out, although if they are just starting it could be 2 years away.

I can’t believe they’ll just be starting. They bloody better not be :laugh:

I imagine they’ve been working on it for a while, certainly since before that survey. If they were just starting, you’d think they’d continue with the dlc, even at a reduced rate, to keep a constant revenue stream while developing the new one.

I suppose it depends if the new one is a completely new thing or a revamp of the last one.

Hopefully something will be announced at the Ubi event in July.

I’m hoping for a new thing with lots of bells, a bit bored of the current format and I miss the game element and competition.

Its a long while since they did the survey of the owners, who knows perhaps they have been working on something for a couple of years. Always felt they could offer so much more if they really considered from ground up how to create a proper structured path to really teach people guitar and reward progression.

Yeah, I think they’re caught in the middle of trying to be a game or a teaching tool, they should commit to one or the other.

Nothing at all.

I follow Riff Repeater on FB and RS on Twitter. Riff Repeater seems to be about as close to inside as you can be without actually working for Ubisoft. Wouldn’t be surprised if he knows more than he’s letting on. NDA probably.

I think mid-July was when Ubi were doing their event, so hopefully not much longer until we hear. That’s assuming there’s actually something to hear about. If not, I’m just going to assume it really is dead.

Not long to wait now.

Next Sunday (12th) 8pm our time Ubisoft Forward.

I’ve seen one or two other games mentioned mainly Assassins Creed Valhalla, can’t find any mention anywhere of Rocksmith.

By next Sunday night we’re all either going to be very excited or bitterly disappointed :laugh:

I’m remaining cautiously optimistic.

If there wasn’t a new game coming, why continue with the weekly streams? You’d have thought they would’ve stopped with the dlc releases.

If there was no new game in the offing, they could quite easily of announced it was the end in one of the streams on their Twitter feed “thanks for your support over the last seven years, but that’s your lot” or that could just be wishful thinking on my part :)

Wouldn’t they have dropped a hint so people look out for it?

Who knows? :laugh:

Can’t remember what happened last time. I know they did the reveal at E3, but I can’t remember what was said in the run up.

I do remember the last couple of years they specifically said they (RS) wouldn’t be at E3.

Well there was this, from the start of April

They said that the RS team was working on a new project. You’d like to think they’d add “but it’s not RS3 or anything related”

Dan Amrich on Twitter “interesting times ahead, folks. Get ready for phase 3”

Nao Higo on Twitter “It’s been a long run for RS2014. Much longer than we expected when we made the game. But I can’t wait to share what we’re cooking up next!”

Found this as well now

They're the only two things I can find, so who knows? Not long until we find out though. One way or the other.

No mention of RS at all :(

Hopefully it will be one of the "few surprises". Is RS a big enough name/game/franchise to warrant being held back as a surprise?

Just Dance 2020 is mentioned, I really hope that's not the music game alluded to previously, although Wiks lists the developers as Ubisoft Shanghai, Pune, Paris and Bordeaux. No mention of SF.

Massively lowering my expectations now. Surely something would've leaked by now? Although RiffRepeater seems to have been unusually quiet, he's usually in the know. Would he have come out and said something along the lines of "don't get excited, there's nothing happening" or is under a strict NDA and sworn to silence?

Oh, well, only another few days and we'll be put out of our misery.

We've talked about it dying for the last 6-9 months as the DLC quality went slowly down the pan and they lack of a big pack at Christmas, then assumed it was dead when it stopped completely.

If nothing is announced on Sunday, then I'm pretty sure it's time to call it.

Massively lowering my expectations now. Surely something would've leaked by now? Although RiffRepeater seems to have been unusually quiet, he's usually in the know. Would he have come out and said something along the lines of "don't get excited, there's nothing happening" or is under a strict NDA and sworn to silence?

I'd imagine he's under a non disclosure agreement for sure..

..As for Rocksmith, the latter lack of DLC, and sadly, Ubisoft, may still have a lot of problems with licensing.. or, to look on the positive side, they could have acquired some big names and decided to hold them back as a huge pull in for the next in the series.

It's a shame, as they'd need to re acquire most licences to be able to import all the songs from the previous two again for another game release, plus many additional ones to pull us in.. thinking AC/DC, Guns 'N Roses and other big bands and artists that have been requested for years.

In all honesty, with no time limit on when live performances are going to be happening again the world over, I'm surprised the industry doesn't grasp at a game series like this just to have a bit more cash flowing.. providing they are not greedy and Ubisoft can recoup what it'd need to pay out.

I guess only time will tell, but though I doubt Ubisoft will be able to afford it, I'm still hopeful to another addition to the series.. I guess I'm a pessimistic optimist.. I tend to expect the worst, but hope for the best.

I would imagine they have been holding back a few big names for the next one, assuming there is one.

The hardcore fans will buy it anyway, casual buyers will buy or not based on the 50 or so songs in the disc.

Good point about the existing songs. If they don’t transfer over, even at a cost like before, that’s going to piss off a lot of people.

We lost a few from the first game to the second, so I wouldn’t be surprised to see a few not transfer across again.

Will be a nice problem to have, as it’ll mean we’ve got another game 😀

It's a shame, as they'd need to re acquire most licences to be able to import all the songs from the previous two again for another game release, plus many additional ones to pull us in.. thinking AC/DC, Guns 'N Roses and other big bands and artists that have been requested for years.

We don’t know that they would need to relicense, the existing licence may cover them for the lifetime of the game franchise.

From what I’ve seen extending contracts/licenses are usually much easier than arranging new ones, especially if it’s been beneficial on both sides.

May well be easier this time, they’ve got seven years of dlc sales behind them and they’d obviously have all the figures to back it up, whereas last time they’d only been going a couple of years with less dlc.

Claptons songs were on disc anyway, so that may have been a different deal? And the other ones that went were to do with one of the note trackers leaving to go to Bandfuse.

Hey Guys - since lockdown I've picked up my guitar again - I have the old Rocksmith for the 360 and I'm not massive fan but amazon has the 2014 remastered version with the cable for £39 for Xbox One.

Amazon product ASIN B01KVVSS1A
Worth the buy? Only concern is will US game work on my UK console...

Hey Guys - since lockdown I've picked up my guitar again - I have the old Rocksmith for the 360 and I'm not massive fan but amazon has the 2014 remastered version with the cable for £39 for Xbox One.

Amazon product ASIN B01KVVSS1A
Worth the buy? Only concern is will US game work on my UK console...

If you didn’t like the original, this only adds sync delay unless you are lucky (no analogue outs) and slightly better graphics. Not likely to like this more, I really liked original.

It depends what you didn’t like about the original.

The second one is improved in some ways, not so good on others.

There’s pretty much no loading anymore. Once you get into the main screen, you don’t get any other loading screens no matter where you go, it’s all pretty much instant.

There’s no set structure, no gigs like the first one, it’s just a matter of do what you want, when you want. If lack of goals is an issue, it’s not great. There are hints what you should do which are called missions “get a 150 note streak” or “reach 60% mastery on X song” etc...

There’s obviously a whole lot more dlc now, even though they are no longer making it. Not sure if the newer dlc works with the old game or not, it may do.

In the new game, tones switch mid song automatically rather than just one set tone throughout.

Session Mode is decent, although far from perfect and could so easily have been improved with a few tweaks.

If you don’t know what session mode is, it’s basically an automated band that follows with what you play, scales are shown on the screen, either one box or you can zoom out and it’ll show you all the boxes across the neck.

You start playing and the virtual band plays at the same tempo, style etc...

Score Attack is closest to the original game I suppose, where you get scored on your performance, hitting the right notes at the right time gives you a better score. Only downside is you get three lives and your done. Levels are set Easy, Medium and Hard, not dynamic. Don’t make any mistakes you get a score multiplier, make a mistake and it drops to the previous multiplier, make a mistake at x1 you lose a life.

Riff Repeater is better, you can now select sections of a song and group adjacent sections together, but you can’t manually select your own sections.

If you have the RS cable, you don’t need another one, it’ll work with the new one, so if there’s a cheaper version that comes without the cable get that one. Don’t worry if it just says RS2014 and not RS2014 Remastered, they’re the same thing, the former will update to Remastered when you put the disc in.

So basically it comes down to why you disliked the first one:)

There is a Ubisoft event tomorrow which a lot of us are hoping will have an announcement about a new version of the game. Nothing has been said, just vague hints about the RS team announcing in April that get can’t wait to take us on the next step of their musical journey and the fact they put out a pretty lengthy survey last year asking what people liked and disliked about various aspects of the game. Of course it could be wishful thinking and a case of putting 2 and 2 together and coming up with 157 😀

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom