Rocksmith 2014 & Rocksmith+

Volbeat 5 pack next week (Danish metal band for anyone else like me that vaguely recalls hearing the name, but had no clue who they were)

Yay, more metal!!! It must be at least a couple of weeks since the last metal dlc :)

I quite like Volbeat, it's "fun" metal, if that makes sense. But then I was living in Denmark when I heard of them, so it might be nostalgia. Lyrics are a bit odd, think some stuff gets lost in translation!

I've got nothing against metal per se, a lot of it I've found surprisingly fun to play. It's just that they seem to give in to the people that shout loudest, the "moar metal" crowd that on the forum and Facebook.

The sort that won't even try any other genre, if it's not metal then RS sucks.

I'm not sure if anyone has ever done a proper analysis of RS song genres, but I bet if they did metal would come out well in front of all the others :)

It's certainly not an instabuy for me, but I'll give the trailer a look and make up my mind from that.

Well, then, the lesson for us is that we should be more proactive about submitting song suggestions!

I've actually submitted a few myself recently. I was thinking more of the commenters in Facebook that seem to appear by the thousands every time the new dlc is released complaining because it's not Metallica/metal in general or on the frequent occasions when it is metal that's announced, they just complain it's not the right sort of metal or if it is, then they aren't releasing the right tracks :)

Well after having to leave Rocksmith and learning guitar for about 6 months due to Moving house and then surgery I picked up my guitar again today. It was pretty disheartening struggling to even hit the right strings and feeling like the few things i had learnt before have all been forgotten but I am going to get back into it and hopefully nothing will get in the way this time. One question though is I have about 250 to spend and could spend it on a new guitar. Which I am angling towards rather than putting my cheapo ibanez in for a full overhaul (as it does sound a bit poo tbh). So what would be my best guitar to go for? I remember 6 months ago someeone said what was a good second guitar to move too but I cant find it.

Well after having to leave Rocksmith and learning guitar for about 6 months due to Moving house and then surgery I picked up my guitar again today. [...] Which I am angling towards rather than putting my cheapo ibanez in for a full overhaul (as it does sound a bit poo tbh). So what would be my best guitar to go for?
Sorry to hear about the surgery, I hope it was successful!

If your Ibanez sounds bad, there are probably better solutions than buying a new guitar. Does it sound bad with Rocksmith, or when you play it through an amp? Can you describe what actually sounds bad? Have you tried a different guitar through the same signal chain as your Ibanez?

Don't be silly Jon, there are never any better solutions than buying a new guitar :rotfl:

Come on Jon, you would much rather have a new guitar than tune one that's gone out of tune even!!!!

But he made the fatal mistake of asking here what to spend his money on :)

What's the betting his initial budget is at least doubled by the time we're finished :laugh:

When I got it "serviced" after I first got it second hand the very knowledgable bloke said he did the most he could do for a 30 quid setup. It had some grooves I think he said in the frets and he could file them down or sand them down but that would be more expensive.
(I could be making all that up I can't remember very well) all I can remember is it probably wouldn't be worth me having all that work done on a 40 quid second hand guitar. Through an amp (which I don't own yet) I would think the horrible jangling weird sound coming from the guitar wouldn't come through but it sort of puts me off a little bit when hitting the top string and it sounds so dodgy. The rest sounds quite nice to me so I can sort of tell when I am doing ok.

Ewww. Grooved frets on a £40 guitar.

Yeah, your bloke was right. A refret or filing down of all the frets wouldn't be worth it on a low cost guitar. If you're still at in a few years, it might be something you could have a go at yourself.

So then, £250 for a decent guitar?

You happy to go second hand again? or would you prefer new?

Lefty/Righty?

Any preference (or hatred) of a particular shape? Do you want to be Angus Young/Slash/Hank Marvin? :laugh:

Are you after an amp too? Rocksmith will fill in for an amp if needed.

Where in the country are you? Can you visit Guitarguitar/Andertons/PMT wave 250 notes at them and say "What ya got?". Spend an afternoon trying a few for size/weight?

Or take a look at any of the main sites (those 3 above are a good place to start), list all guitars and sort by price. There are a few very nice guitars for that price.

And don't be put off by your previous experience of Ibanez. IMO they make some very nice guitars. Not sure what your previous owner was doing with that one. Playing hammer-ons with an actual hammer? ;):D

Last edited:
What Hugh said. Best is just to go to a guitar shop and see what you fancy. There are so many guitars in that segment of the market and only you know what's going to make you pick it up and play.

Browsing on the Anderton's wrbsite, for example, this caught my eye for £255, but your tastes will be different. Find a guitar that you like, check it for problems like fret buzz, any visible issues, loose tuners / pots etc. I'd also suggest that you ask the shop guy to take a good look at the guitar (even better if they have an onsite tech) - not necessarily for a full service, just for a quick QA that they may not have done upon receipt for a guitar in that price range.

Also, browse around the net & YouTube for articles or videos on how to choose a guitar. After a short while, you'll find that they all say much the same thing.

At 250 the new choice is a bit limited, but there are still some decent guitars out there as the guys say. A Squire Vintage/Classic Vibe strat/tele would be a good buy e.g.:

Squier Classic Vibe 50's Strat 2 Tone Sunburst B Stock - Music Warehouse

I wouldn't write off used, if you feel a bit more confident you can pick up some really good deals. Around 250-300 is the sweet spot for a lot of nice used guitars as you are into 5-600 new bracket, such as a mex strat/tele or a PRS. Just look for something with low action and no fret wear, then check there are no dead/buzzy frets.

Cheers. I'm in Isle of Man so visiting shops is out. Don't need an amp just yet. Not too fussy on shape really apart from don't like wierd out there shapes. Just your normal types and dark colours I like

Volbeat pack -

Lola Montez
Heaven Nor Hell
Still Counting
A Warrior's Call
Fallen

All songs in D Standard

Last edited:
Cheers. I'm in Isle of Man so visiting shops is out. Don't need an amp just yet. Not too fussy on shape really apart from don't like wierd out there shapes. Just your normal types and dark colours I like

If you're after another Ibanez, Guitar Guitar have just sent an email about a load of Ex-demo starting under £200

Lynryd Skynrd (or however you spell it) 3 pack next week, one of the tracks will be from the Second Helping.

That'll do for me, can never have too much LS.

Bought the Volbeat pack in the end, enjoying it, most of the songs are pretty easy, but they're all fun to play.

They do look like fun, and I've heard one of them before. Still never heard of Volbeat though o_O.

Just about to watch the boys play it through on last night's stream.

Lynryd Skynrd (or however you spell it) 3 pack next week, one of the tracks will be from the Second Helping.

That'll do for me, can never have too much LS.

We've had Sweet Home Alabama off that album. Plus Freebird and Simple Man. I actually really like their last album, 2012's Last Of A Dyin' Breed.

How did the lesson go Andrew? Was tonight wasn't it?

How did the lesson go Andrew? Was tonight wasn't it?

Good thanks, more talking than playing though. I showed him my technique on pull-offs from that Tom Petty ending solo and alt strums on them. He said all was fine so that's reassuring, if only I could play them twice as quick I'd keep up in RS! I described Riff Repeater to him and he thought the ability to play slower was very good, a substitute for metronome practice.

Then onto 5ths, start of my theory, knowing their two fret and a string up placement. Realised they are what we know as power chords when combined with root note. And basic 7th chords in 12 bar blues. He believes improvising and working out solos by ear is so much easier if you have a grounding in theory. We shall see. Books have never sunk in, not even Justins after page 10, so this is theory last chance saloon!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom