Rocksmith 2014 SOTW Discussion Thread

Goooner

Outstanding Member
Reaction score
For discussion on any and all aspects of the RS2014 SOTW competition, as the first post in the other was getting a bit long.

Rules and participant list will be here, if anyone wants to know when their choice is due or what song we're currently on or which ones have been picked previously.

Provisional rules for the first round of the RS2014 Weekly Song Challenge, starting this Friday. Any objections or alterations feel free to post them.

Everyone that takes part gets to pick a song, this will be based on the order you joined the sign up thread, if people want to join after we've started, that's fine, I'll just add you to the bottom of the list.

First round (which means until everyone on the list has had a pick) RS2014 on disc songs only, no DLC or RS1 transfers. Round 2 onwards, anything goes, including songs that we've done before in the previous game.

When it's your choice, either pm me, or post it here, by 9pm on the Friday. I'll send a pm reminder and post who's pick it is for the next week when I post each new scores thread. If a choice has not been made by 9pm, the first suggestion posted here will be the new song (this does not affect you're scheduled pick). If for any reason you can't/don't want to have your pick, pm me or post here and it can be rescheduled.

If somebody doesn't post a score for three weeks in a row, they will be assumed to have stopped taking part and moved to the bottom of the list.

Competition is for Score Attack. Four divisions, Easy, Medium, Hard, Master.

I suggest we only submit one score for a division of out choice, not a separate score for each division, otherwise it gets very complicated and a lot of work for me, with 4 scores for each person potentially and some people will play both guitar and bass/emulated bass.

It's up to you which division you post your final score to. No reason people can't post updates in the score thread as we have been doing. You will be responsible for making clear which is your submitted score.

A score thread will be created for each new song. Please just start one post and edit it accordingly, rather than multiple replies. Keep the thread to scores only, any discussion here.

Each song runs from Friday until the following weekend and ends Sunday midnight, any score submitted after midnight will not be counted.

The list will be in the first post of the thread. If you're unsure when your choice is, or what that weeks song is, or which songs have already been picked, please check there first.

If you're posting a bass score please indicate if it's for Real Bass or Emulated.

If I think of anything I've forgotten I'll add it later.

Does anyone think we need a new thread or shall we just carry on with this one?

As I said, any other suggestions or anything I may have missed please post.

Hugh - Iron Maiden The Trooper (lead)
JOakey - Muse Knights Of Cydonia (lead)
Goooner - The Rolling Stones Paint It, Black
Kelltic - The Shins For A Fool (lead)
Christian71 - Def Leppard Pour Some Sugar On Me
Sweet Mountain River (extra pick)
AndrewH13 - Rush Spirit Of Radio
Cub123 - radiohead Paranoid Android
tylerjosh - The Police Every Breath You Take
RobbySpurs - Aerosmith Walk This Way
Chocobear - Say It Ain't So
BigTone - Chompers - Fang Island
Deletion99 - Some Might Say - Oasis
Beximus - My God Is The Sub - QOTSA
FazerThou - Mary Janes Last Dance - Tom Petty
Chewyx - R Y Mine - Arctic Monkeys
Crid - Don't Look Back In Anger - Oasis
EdB999 - Boys Don't Cry (rhythm) - The cure
BarbaraH - The Sky Is Crying - Albert King
justjohn86 - Synchronicity II - The Police
judethedude - Roadhouse Blues

ROUND 2

BigTone - Jack White - Sixteen Saltines
chocobear - Rise Against - Saviour
Goooner - Lynrd Skynrd - Freebird
tylerjosh - Soundgarden - Outshined
Kelltic - Creedance - Born On The Bayou
Christian71 - The Police - Roxanne
GloopyJon - Muse - Hysteria
AndrewH13 - Chicago - 25 or 6 to 4
Blitzkieg Bop
Deletion99 - Slash - Back From Cali
BarbaraH - REM - Shiny Happy People
RobbySpurs - Green Day - XKid
Hugh - Rise Against - Prayer Of The Refugee
Spider And The Fly - The Rolling Stones
judethedude - Love Bites - Haelstrom
EdB999 -We Share The Same Skies - The Cribs
Magoo222 - Have You Ever Seen The Rain - CCR
meweavey - Do You Remember - The Horrors

ROUND 3

chocobear - Blink 182 - Dammitt
AndrewH13 - Alter Bridge - Blackbird
GloopyJon - Whitesnake - Is This Love
Goooner - Boston - Peace Of Mind
Hugh - Rondo Alla Turca – Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart
BarbaraH - Highway Star - Deep Purple
Deletion99 - Nightmare - Avenged sevenfold
Christian71 - One Last Breath - Creed
RobbySpurs - Cemetery Gates - Pantera
Kelltic - Cochise - Audioslave
Judethedude - Slither - Velvet Revolver
BigTone - Godzilla
magoo222 - The Chimera
tylerjosh - Surf Hell

Random choices while we waited to start Round 4

Everlong
We Are The Champions - Queen
Love That's Gone
Hear Shaped Box
The Trooper (Revisited)
Purple Haze - Jimi Hendrix

ROUND 4

GloopyJon - Slash - You're A Lie
chocobear - Biffy Clyro - Mountains
I Am Custard - Santeria
Deeez Nuuutz - Def Leppard - Pour Some Sugar On Me
AndrewH13 - Soundgarden - Black Hole Sun
Goooner - The Clash - Should I Stay Or Should I Go
Hugh -- Iron Maiden - Fear Of The Dark
BarbaraH - Bon Jovi - It's My Life

Christian71 - Poison - Nothin' But A Good Time
RobbySpurs - Warrant - Cherry Pie
Kelltic - Bon Jovi Wanted Dead or Alive
BigTone - The Who - The Seeker
magoo222 - Sweet Dreams
tylerjosh - Little Wing
Judethedude -

ROUND 5

Glo
opyJon - Muse Muscle Museum
Chocobear - The Strokes Reptilla (alternate lead)
I Am Custard Kansas Carry On My Wayward Son
AndrewH13 - Zombie - The Cranberries
Goooner - B B King - The Thrill Is Gone
Hugh - Walk Don't Run - The Ventures
RObbySPurs - Cinderalla - Don't Know What You've Got (Till It's Gone)
BarbaraH - Be Bop A Lula - Gene Vincent and his Blue Notes
Christian 71 - Killing In The Name
Kelltic - ?
BigTone - The Boys Are Back In Town
Magoo222 - American Girl
Tylerjosh - Jailbreak

Round 6

I Am Custard - Dancing In The Moonlight
GloopyJon - Don't Look Back
Goooner - Run To The Hills
Chocobear - Black Betty
Hugh - Call Me
RobbySpurs - Tuesday's Gone
AndrewH13 - All Right Now
Christian 71 - Ace of Spades
BarbaraH - Sweet Home Alabama
BigTone - Been Caught Steeling
Tylerjosh

THIS WEEK'S SONG - Ace of Spades

Link to original SOTW thread

Rocksmith - Weekly Song Challenge | AVForums

Last edited:
— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Ok I think this is the right place

Really struggling with this. Im fine up till the solo then it goes to pot. I cant practice eituer as riff repeat isnt an option. Anyine know what percentage master is close dor the solo to practice

Also how do palm mutes work. The lesson iant very clear.

Got my failing 10 tikes cheevo though!

Ok I think this is the right place

Really struggling with this. Im fine up till the solo then it goes to pot. I cant practice eituer as riff repeat isnt an option. Anyine know what percentage master is close dor the solo to practice

!

I would go into Learn A Song and Play through once to set a Mastery you can do. Play again and pause straight away. In RR set speed and difficulty to auto advance after one correct repetition. Go direct to solo and let the game take care of the rest. Once you feel difficulty or speed is the most you can manage, alter advance to No and practice at that level. Go back into Attack and nail it!

I tried that but the notes arr completely different so theres no point. If I could practice the solo as it is in score attack id be fine

I tried that but the notes arr completely different so theres no point. If I could practice the solo as it is in score attack id be fine
If you up the level of solo in RR while watching the run through, you would have thought one of the levels of mastery must equal Score Attack levels. Strange.

Anyine know what percentage master is close dor the solo to practice

Just play normal open for the palm mutes, it pretty much ignores them although when you get used to muting you will do it without thinking as it sounds right.

Good point about the percentage I'm not sure, but it would be useful to know. Hard seems to be 100% so I'm guessing it's something like 60% for easy and 80% for medium. Hopefully it's consistant for all the songs, guess some experimentation is in order :)

If you up the level of solo in RR while watching the run through, you would have thought one of the levels of mastery must equal Score Attack levels. Strange.

You would think wouldnt you!

Just play normal open for the palm mutes, it pretty much ignores them although when you get used to muting you will do it without thinking as it sounds right.
:)

how are you supposed to play them though. Strum then mute or hold your palm against the bridge so its muted before you strum

Apologies for spelling its hard on my ohone

Generally it's with your palm as you strum, but for staccato (short attack) you mute quickly after picking, where it doesn't show the numbers you lift off the fret to mute with your left.

I have to say I am finding it a bit odd to learn the song one way and then find its different in the Score Attack. The rhythm sections are far to simplistic on easy, but then the solo part shoots right at you! I have the rhythm mastered but I keep messing up the solo! And that's on easy!

Is it just me, or does it seem way too forgiving in places? (Maybe it's because I'm playing bass, I dunno).

Number one on bass. Ok it's Easy but 24 people! And kept nerve for 100% and platinum.

Do you get extra bonus points on bass for staying awake, with it being so much easier than guitar? :D

Do you get extra bonus points on bass for staying awake, with it being so much easier than guitar? :D

Put your money where your mouth is and have a go!

Maybe wine will help :)

Got to try guitar first :)

And BUY a bass!

Barbara has now failed 3 times on Easy Bass. Got to try and get her switching quicker between Blue and Orange 5,7,7,5 box shape. Pretty quick at beginning when on thick strings.

The Trooper - Medium

:rotfl:

I don't think so. Going along quite nicely thank you, this isn't too bad at all I'm thinking, right up until the solo starts, 20 seconds later, 3 lives gone and I'm done :laugh:

Haha, that went pear shaped this evening! Not able to pass on Easy yet for Trooper :eek::oops:

Going to try it with the PRS next time, it's the bends on the high e at 20 that do me, fail there every time.

Must say, going back to Easy after seemed remarkably sedate, after Medium whizzes past :)

Still can't beat my other score though.

Going to try it with the PRS next time, it's the bends on the high e at 20 that do me, fail there every time.

Must say, going back to Easy after seemed remarkably sedate, after Medium whizzes past :)

Still can't beat my other score though.

Just thought of an extra rule Goooner that we took for granted on RS1, anyone trying Bass needs to indicate Real Bass or Simulated Bass on the scores thread as they are quite different experiences.

BASS

Might be useful for newcomers to the game (and bass) if I give a bit of information as I have been asked a few bass-related questions by PM. You can select Bass in MY PATH (small left 'back' button on Xbox controller). If playing on a guitar, when tuning comes up for first song, select SWITCH TO SIMULATED.

The bass tracks are on the whole, easier and are a great introduction for beginners. And good for those wanting to reach complete mastery in a shorter time. There are exceptions though, and in RS1, a few songs were actually harder on bass.

Using a Real Bass is harder than simulating on a guitar because the length of a bass fretboard is 34" (30" short-scale models also available) as opposed to 24.75 or 25.5". And the thick strings make it harder to move and slide quickly. On the other hand, it does have the advantage of being able to feel the strings, so can be easier on fingered songs to know where you are and have larger room for your fingers between the strings.

Rocksmith indicates at the start of each song whether a pick or fingers should be used. This is based on what technique the original bass player uses. The majority of bass players use fingers although there are some famous players who always use a pick. When I went for my one bass lesson, the tutor was insistent that to learn, fingering is the desired method. Once learnt you can then switch to a pick for songs that demand it.

Fingering is strange at first for a guitar player, but not difficult to pick up, especially as covered in RS lessons and YouTube videos. With guitar and a pick you generally strum downwards or alternatively. With bass fingering, you use straightened first and second fingers and strum upwards. You are meant to alternate for better speed, but I find I'm often using one finger or the other when a song toughens! On the other hand, my wife who has never picked up a guitar before, took to using the 'walking' fingers technique straight away but hates using a pick.

Simulated bass playing, for those without a bass, allows you to play the same notes on a normal guitar and is good to see how it differs from the guitar track. The sound is lowered within the game but is nowhere near the lovely low thuds you get with the real thing. I just smiled the first time I played bass in RS, the sound is so different.

has anyone managed to figure out if there is a way to practice score attack?

Had a couple goes on easy last night, missed a few notes here and there but not to bad..... or so I thought- I then saw Andrews score! :facepalm:
It seems with the score multiplier if you are going to make mistakes you need to do so all at once :D
The next go went from 20000 up to around 100000 and didnt seem much better effort to me, guess I just kept the run going for longer.
Been so long since I last played the game I've forgotten which colour is which string. When the solo comes in by the time I've worked out which string orange is its already past :confused:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom