Rocksan cd player sounds dull question

muljao

Hi All,

my friend recently bought a marantz pm6005 off myself due a change in my living circumstances. He has a mission cyrus2 and power supply amp but its old so decided to move it on. Plugged into these he has a rocksan caspian cd player and a chromecast but wanted the few digital inputs on the marantz, all to drive castle floorstanders.

The thing is the Chromecast sound fantastic through the newer amp, but the cd player sounds pretty poor. Put the mission back in place and the cd player sounds as it should and the cca also sound great.

Am I missing something here? Do older cd players have less output that older amps were better matched or is it just one of those things, thanks for any input

ShanePJ

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Can you tell me if you are using the digital out on the Roksan CD Player to the Marantz? If so, I would think that the CD will have a much better DAC than what is found in the Marantz and this should explain the reduction in performance.

Aging electronics, sometimes a miss conception is that newer electronics will always sound better is certainly not always the case, especially when you are looking at brands like Cyrus. To get something similar to the Cyrus from Marantz, I really feel you need to be looking at the PM8006 and you may need to look above that too depending on your ear.

Sadly, PM6005 doesn't stand a chance musically when comparing it against the Cyrus using the power supply, it's only forte is that it does have a nice DAC and when fed digital signals from modern product has the ability to shine which is what you are experiencing

Again, the Missions are probably quite good ones looking at the electronics you have mentioned above and are far more reviling than the other items being tested against them.

I have some very old Epos ES22 and I've tested these again many new speakers including some Reference products and I have to say I prefer them. When they come onto the second hand market, they seem to go for about £300, yet to replacement them with new speakers, I'm looking at around £4.5k/£6k which give you a real idea of whats going on with the system you are struggling with

-----

Just noticed that he has castle speakers. Again. the PM6005 just not up to the job, Castle speakers are very good speakers and usually require a bit of umph behind them. With the right power, they should sound great

muljao

Can you tell me if you are using the digital out on the Roksan CD Player to the Marantz? If so, I would think that the CD will have a much better DAC than what is found in the Marantz and this should explain the reduction in performance.

Aging electronics, sometimes a miss conception is that newer electronics will always sound better is certainly not always the case, especially when you are looking at brands like Cyrus. To get something similar to the Cyrus from Marantz, I really feel you need to be looking at the PM8006 and you may need to look above that too depending on your ear.

Sadly, PM6005 doesn't stand a chance musically when comparing it against the Cyrus using the power supply, it's only forte is that it does have a nice DAC and when fed digital signals from modern product has the ability to shine which is what you are experiencing

Again, the Missions are probably quite good ones looking at the electronics you have mentioned above and are far more reviling than the other items being tested against them.

I have some very old Epos ES22 and I've tested these again many new speakers including some Reference products and I have to say I prefer them. When they come onto the second hand market, they seem to go for about £300, yet to replacement them with new speakers, I'm looking at around £4.5k/£6k which give you a real idea of whats going on with the system you are struggling with
Thanks for input. Was using rocksan analogue outputs, so it's own dac. What is puzzling me is the Chromecast sounds excellent yet the CD player is lower, and more distant. I realize the mission is more top end. I'll look at this again, the way it sounds now through that input it's like something is not right, thanks again

Edit- CCA was fed into analogue input also, not the marantz dac,

ShanePJ

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Have you tried different interconnect to make sure that one of the cables hasn't had a failure in someway

muljao

That'll be next. At the moment I'm in work, he just buzzed me so I made an enquiry here. Troubleshooting over a few beers sounds like a plan

ShanePJ

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Just having a look through the manual for the series 1 which I'm guessing this capsian is and I cannot see anything that alters the volume output.

So, as I haven't much experience with this older model, I cannot offer any more help.

I did note on the remote that their is a "mode" button which I couldn't find any information on within the manual. Have you tried this to see what it does?

muljao

Just having a look through the manual for the series 1 which I'm guessing this capsian is and I cannot see anything that alters the volume output.

So, as I haven't much experience with this older model, I cannot offer any more help.

I did note on the remote that their is a "mode" button which I couldn't find any information on within the manual. Have you tried this to see what it does?
I'll try all suggestions and report back to you, thanks

BlueWizard

Distinguished Member
Though it seems odd to say this, are you sure he hasn't plugged the CD into the PHONO Input, because that would make it sound VERY BAD.

Try different cables, and try different inputs. See if that makes a difference.

Also, what is the position of the Volume Control when playing the Chromecast-Audio relative to the Roksan CD? Is the Volume Control in the same position, or is one higher/lower than the other.

Though I can't be sure, I used a Universal DVD player to play CDs, and the output was extremely high, it make the sound overly compressed and generally unbearable. I put Attenuators in the Output line of the Player, and tamed the input level, and now it sounds great. That may not be your problem ..but... it might be.

For me, using my Turntable as the standard, I would listen with the Analog Volume Control around 10 o'clock to 11 o'clock, but with the DVD/CD it was 9 o'clock or less, and really did not sound good.

So, if there is a significant difference in the Volume Position then this might be a possibility.

Steve/bluewizard

muljao

It's a weird one. Queens greatest hits, the first one playing on CD sounded very bad, on Spotify it was very good. However other CDs sounded great.

A lot of messing around with cables, CDs, etc. It seems the CD player volume is fractionally lower than Spotify, but that means nothing when dynamic range etc is considered and resolution.

The conclusion is that both the marantz and the Cyrus are very close, but the Cyrus has more depth, at least there are no actual faults, just the initial CD used for testing on the marantz is poor quality

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom