1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rockford Fosgate amp electronic problem

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by nova_gh, Nov 27, 2004.

1. nova_gh

nova_gh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i aquired a non-functioning rf 250a2 punch amp a few years ago going into electronics eng. at college. I've been trying to troubleshoot it for a few years now but never really get much time to spend on it.

The original problem i had was i wasn't getting any sound out, at school i injected some simlpe tones into the rca inputs to see if i was getting anything out using an o-scope. I think i've trailed it back to a few transistors but i'm unsure as before i could continue troubleshooting the transistors, the unit itself stopped functioning. Now the unit will not power on. I know i have power, it does not blow fuses, it just sits there. Anyone with some knowledge of these amps know where abouts in the circuit it's failing? I can't seem to find anything that shouldn't work via ohm checks.

Anything info would help, thanks!

2. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    Sounds very much like the thing is totally dead.....if I'm right,it's a car audio amp?....if it is,you may have more luck in the ICE part of the forum.

Also bear in mind that just because you have circuit continuity(in the form of resistance checks)doesnt mean something more fundamental like the transistors you've already suggested,or part of it's power supply since you now say it's stopped functioning at all.

3. nova_gh

nova_gh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yeah is a car amp, i do know that continuity checks aren't going to help me much, theres not alot to work with when it won't power on. I'm just saying thats what i've done so far. The problem i'm having with troubleshooting it is the circuit board contains a lot of very tiny chip resistors, caps, transistors etc, even in the power supply, makes it very frustrating. I'm looking for someone with experience with theses amplifiers to try pin-point a problem that might be relative to these models.

4. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    Ok...best bet here is to try the ICE section of the forum...good luck

5. barcrawler

barcrawler
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted: