1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rocket UFW-10 - Guinea Pig's Impressions

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by steewan, Aug 18, 2004.

1. steewan

steewan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, I have had the UFW-10 for 10 days now and thought it is time I shared my experience of this GREAT sub with forum members.

When Sean Parque of AV123 asked me to be patient for the 240V amps and that I will not regret the wait, I placed my trust in him. Suffice it to say I do not regret it one iota.

The UFW-10 is stunning to look at in flesh than in pictures. The build quality is excellent. I have seen subs with price tags in excess of £1,000 that do not have the same build quality as the UFW-10. And that is no exaggeration.

After placing it in the corner (home of my old Rel Q201e) I started to put it through its paces. First test was with music using Usher's Confessions album which has some heavy bass tunes. The first words that sprung to mind was "Wow this is what is called bass." The bass was so tight, pleasantly clean and sweet it brought a big grin :D to my face. I found myself changing cd after cd and not feeling fatigued with the listening experience. Gain is set at half, Phase at 12 o'clock and crossed over at 80Hz.

Next day, I tried a dvd. The Lord of the Ring's Return of the King. Chapter 37 - scene of the oliphants thundering on the battlefield, was AWESOME. The slam was unbelieveable. I was truely amazed at the bass emanating from this little sub.

The UFW-10 is partnered by JMlab's Cobalt 816S floorstanders driven by a David Hafler Power amp, HK's 507LE AV receiver driving the centre and rear speakers - all JMLab's Cobalt Ss.

I am truly impressed and very happy with the sub :thumbsup: . The sound is FANTASTIC both with music and movies.

Steve.

2. Ettepet

Ettepet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Have you asked them what they do with Guinea Pigs after the test? :D

Nice to hear your experience with one of these little gems. How did you get to be one of the lucky? :)

3. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,005
    Yeah, good to hear someone's opinion on subs which none of us have heard (and like a breath of fresh air, the words S V and S aren't mentioned...oh bugger I've done it:D;)).

Any chance of some pics?

4. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    What was the total cost involved if you don't mind please

5. steewan

steewan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Etterpet,
    According to Sean at AV123, guinea pigs will always be given lots of freebies come X'mas :laugh:. I became one of the lucky ones by constantly pestering and developing a rapport with the guys at AV123. IMHO, it is really a great sub.

Steve

Smurfin,
    I will post some pictures when the wifey and kids come back from holidays with the digi cam.

6. steewan

steewan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ian,
    Being a beta tester, ( otherwise guinea pig) I was given a discount. Hence the total payment including VAT, import duty and BAX door to door delivery + BAX's extra £15 for deferred payment was £405. BAX claimed the deferred payment is the norm. A bargain considering the quality of the sub.

7. Ettepet

Ettepet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Guinea pigs and X-mas? Hmm.. I have a less glorious association with that particular combination. I sometimes wished I was a Guinea pig, but not anymore.. Lots of luck the coming months! ;)

8. bob1

bob1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +129
    I don't want to sound patronising, but what other subs have you had and how does it compare to them?
    What are those £1000 subs you mention? To compare it with another sub would give us more of an idea what its like.

9. user34

user34

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Steve,

Did you take the pictures yet ? I'm considering one of these subs, your remarks are encouraging.

Peter

10. db1234

db1234
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I've got a maple UFW on order, will hopefully be here by the weekend, I'll post some pictures as soon as it arrives.

Cheers,

Darren

11. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    I'm watching too.

12. user34

user34

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would like one of these subs, my final three includes the BK XLS200 and the MJ Acoustics Ref100. I'll be using for music only.

I've been on to custums here in France, and I don't mind paying the customs duty (4.5%) on the total value (sub + shipping + insurance) and then VAT (19.6%) on top of all that.

Things get sticky if I should want to send it back for a refund, I couldn't get a clear answer about how I'd be refunded my import duty and VAT, did anybody in the UK get an idea about that ?

The customs here also told me that if I wasn't careful I'd end up paying duty twice if ever I had to send one back for repair, because they would consider it a new import if the paperwork wasn't all correct.

I was told by Sean Parque that 230v units would be shipping at the end of september.

13. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    In the UK if you have to return the sub to USA for a refund you would have to provide proof that you have returned it and the Customs / Duty people will refund the money to you. I don't know how quickly they will refund the money though

14. user34

user34

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Do you know what form that might take ?

15. avanzato

avanzato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    The UK Customs & Excise website is here I've read it several times and still don't quite get in what circumstances you can reclaim Duty etc.

This would appear to say you can for repairs:

But then I tried reading notice 235 and my head hurt. :confused:

For returns they quote for 'Faulty' goods.

IMO If you have any thought that you might return the sub I wouldn't import it to start with and go for one that's available in the EU ie. The BK or MJ where duty and VAT aren't a problem.

16. user34

user34

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Well, that's what my wife told me too! duh!! I've started looking on my doorstep ,and I've found some likely candidates, notably Sidney Acoustics AR-12 (c. €500) and Audience Absolute A10HP (c. €1050). I've been looking on the french homecinema forums, I was too lazy before. Still the BK XLS200 has a lot to offer and comes in, with shipping at c. €450.

But thanks for the remarks.

17. avanzato

avanzato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    I saw them awhile back on the Hifissimo website and was intrigued but I've banned myself from buying anymore subwoofers. What do they say about those two subs or point me to the forums? I have almost no French but can always use babel fish.

18. user34

user34

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    On the www.homecinema-fr.com website they are very much into cinema and less into music. I signed up so I could ask some questions, but I haven't been activated yet. But, from what I could glean from the threads about 'caisson de grave' the budget king (< €500) is the sidney acoustics AR-12, especially for music. They use words like 'sec' - dry and 'propre' - clean. In other words a fast, low distortion sub. There are others in about the same price range, such as the Mosscade Titan 11.3, that appear to go bang and rumble louder and are more impressive than the AR-12 for Cinema. The comments about music are that it can't keep up the beat. Since I've yet to hear a hifi system with a sub in it, and I can only guess, I think that means it's got more harmonic distortion at frequencies we hear more easily.

www.hifissimo.com has a comparative about the audience absolute subs, and in brief finds particularly the A10HP and the A15HP to be very very good, for both cinema and music. These subs have aluminium drivers and are very solidly built, for instance the A10Hp is 27kg for 38cm*38cm*38cm against the AR-12's 19kg for 41cm*41cm*44cm. The found that the AR-12 was very impressive against the A10HP.

I think the A10Hp has variable phase between 0-180° whereas the AR-12 is either 0 or 180. I really don't know how important the variable phase is ? I would have thought that it gave a bit more freedom with positioning.

I hope this helps.

Peter

19. oliverlim

oliverlim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Steve,

Could you post SPL for freq such from 20-30 hz in your room at your listening position? :)

Thanks!
    Oliver

20. Grubert

Grubert

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +72
    Another happy guinea pig.

After a long wait, I got the UFW-10 yesterday. It was shipped Thursday, but the weekend held it up a bit. Apparently it arrived in Basel (Switzerland) on Monday, but the last leg of the trip (Basel-Geneva) was by lorry. I watched the courier worker and his handling of the box was excellent. Don't hesitate to use Bax for your future shipments.

The guy suggested that I open the box to check the condition of the sub and so it did. It came in what I'd describe as a huge cotton sock, with gloves to go with it.Not a nick or a scratch anywhere. So off the courier went.

First impressions are very good. At first I had a ground loop, which I solved by using a groundless plug.

One note on the RCA socket: it's somewhat wide, so my Profigold cable was a very very tight fit. Belden plugs fit much better.

Last night I watched Aliens and it's really spectacular, much much better than my previous JM Lab effort.

And it's so damn pretty, it's really a shame to have it hidden next to the couch like I do.

Today I'll have a go at the equalizer, see how it goes.

I would also like to thank Steve Ozmai at av123.com, for being so helpful along the way and doing all he could to see that I finally got the bloody sub. :thumbsup: