Rocket - an SVS alternative..

Hey - we're an equal opportunity manufacturer - we love the Dutch too! I'll go check out that forum - thanks for the heads up. I'm sure I could twist Mark's arm into some sort of an International power buy ;).

It's in Dutch, :devil:, but some of them post here. :)
---
edit: I put a link there, so this topic won't go unnoticed.

I am a member of the biggest french forum (homecinema-fr.com, 20 000 members) where american subs are not well known at all but as I am interested in your products, I may launch a thread to motivate froggies !!

All looks 'very' interesting now. I for one will be keeping an eye on it.

Originally posted by Ian J
Welcome to AV Forums. You have probably noticed that we have a liking for buying American subwoofers directly and as word gets around that it is no more difficult than buying from a UK retailer over the internet I can see this type of business increasing over here.

I read craigsub's review and the UFW-10 certainly sounds impressive and from what I understand it has a great deal of "Wife Acceptance Factor" which some of the others don't, bearing in mind that the average UK house is smaller than the equivalent American house.

Thank you for the welcome Ian...

The UFW-10 is certainly a product that most women can get along with... smalll and well finished --- with just the right touches here and there to make it all work...

I hope to get to the U.K. this Summer... A few of you might know how fond I am of England (my first wife was born and raised in the U.K. --- and we are STILL the very best of friends... :) )... and I've been wanting to go back for years... I have to visit some of our new clients for our loudspeaker factory in China... so now is a good time...

Again... thanks for the welcome... and do let me know how I may serve in the future...

All the best...

mls

Hello - I am the gent who did the review on the UFW-10, and it is a remarkable subwoofer, indeed.

Today, for further tests, We set it up in our theater room which is 8.5 x 8 x 3 meters. We then watched Titan AE, which has some of the most difficult bass scenes going.

The UFW-10 was, as the name suggests, fast. It also can shake the room, even our rather large theater room, when necessary.

Here is a small picture of the room, for reference, the screen you see is a bit over 3 meters diagonal.

Regards...

Attachments

• img_0021.jpg
    img_0021.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 338
Craig your threads will become legends. I read most of them, too many pages! Keep up the good work. Nice to see you here.

Daneel - Thanks for the compliment. This Autumn, We are working on a "best subwoofer set you can buy for $2000 US" ...

That can mean, for Example... 4 Rocket UFW-10's ... $1998 ... one Velodyne DD-10.... etc... as long as the total is about $2000.

Hopefully, there will be a few months of golf in the interim.

I would be happy to answer questions regarding SVS, Rocket, OR Hsu... all three subwoofers have been or are now residing in our theater.

Pics available upon request...:thumbsup:

Ok then Craig. I'm still saving but some time soon a new sub will be heading my way. I'm considering the PC+ 20-39+, the PC Ultra and the PB2+. In the long run I'd like to get a PB2 Ultra as I like the finish and want ultra drivers. For the moment though one of the first 3 will have to suffice.

Can you hear any difference between the Ultra and plus drivers? Is it noticable at lower volumes or just when pushed? I guess that a BFD will be more useful than the PEQ of the Ultra so am wondering if a 20-39+ with BFD will work out better than an Ultra.

The problem with the PB2+ is it's huge and pretty ugly. I also don't think I need that much power. My current room is under 3000 cf and I can't see me getting a 3500+ cf room for some time.

I'm not too familair with the HSU range or more exotic subs, particularly their availablity in the UK. Should I be considering any others?

Would the UFW-10 be any good to me? It certainly looks the part but I can't see how something that small is going to produce the kind of bass I'm after and from the spec the lack of really low bass might bug me. I was very impressed with a B&W 750 I heard not long ago. My only problem with it was a slight lack of extension.

Your input would be appreciated.

Well, I'm a member of UK, US, France, Switzerland and Spain forums!! That's a hell of a powerbuy we're talking about!! ;)

If the UFW-10 is compared with the 25-31 PCi, what are their relative strengths and weaknesses?

Daneel - Starting with the UFW-10, it will, especially the pair in a corner and smart use of the EQ, give you 110 dB in room from 25 Hz and up, and roll off below that. It won't give you flat response to that last 1/2 octave that the SVS will, but you would be really surprised at how well it does.

The UFW-10 will more accurately portray the sound of a drum and bass guitar, and its attack and decay is unmatched anywhere near its price range. Also, everyone here who has purchased one has been delighted by how powerful it really is, including me.

The SVS line does dig deeper, and gives most of the great musicality that the UFW-10 does. By the way, for $1099 US, the PB1+ is another SVS to look at for your room. It gives a choice of finishes as does the PB2-Ultra, and in your room (your 3000^3 feet vs. our 5700^3 feet) the PB1+ will give about the same performance as the PB2+ did in our room.

We never have even come close to bottoming out a PB2+ in our room. The PB1+ also has a single band parametric EQ. You can expect to achieve 110 dB levels from about 18 Hz on up in your room with a single PB1+.

Either of those would be my recommendation for filling all your needs, including having an attractive product.

Grubert, for your comparison: The SVS will give about 5-6 dB more in output from 25 Hz and up. The UFW-10 will have the advantages as listed above. Are you needing the extra power (SVS), or the better articulation (UFW-10) ?

Craig, I'd say better articulation. I'm afraid the extra power would only lead to marital/neighbourly conflicts. :D

Questions for Steve Ozmai or Mark Schifter:

Is the factory that makes your subwoofers the same one that makes the rest of your loudspeaker lineup? Do they work exclusively for you, or do they make other brand products? Is quality consistent? (I know from experience that some Chinese audio components vary a lot from batch to batch, probably because of manufacturing plant changes.)

Would it be possible to arrange direct shipping from China? That way, instead of paying to get the sub to the US and from there to Europe, we would only pay for a China-Europe shipment.

Mark is traveling, and Steve and Sean are 7 hours behind the UK. Mark does spend a lot of time in the factory over-seeing the entire process. As of now I have a UFW-10, a pair of the bookshelf sized ELT-Cse's, and a pair of Onix Reference 3's... and all three are flawless in finish and execution.

I am pretty sure Mark's constant involvement in the process helps in the Quality Control, and he has also spoken quite highly of his plant manager there also.

At 11 our time this morning here, and 4 PM your time, I will be talking to Sean Parque - He and Steve are two great resources, and I am sure one of them can give you more insight.

My conversation with Sean is going to be about them sending me 4 UFW-10's to be used in a line array like a single subwoofer in our large room. THAT will be a fun test.

Originally posted by Grubert
Craig, I'd say better articulation. I'm afraid the extra power would only lead to marital/neighbourly conflicts. :D

Is the factory that makes your subwoofers the same one that makes the rest of your loudspeaker lineup? Do they work exclusively for you, or do they make other brand products? Is quality consistent? (I know from experience that some Chinese audio components vary a lot from batch to batch, probably because of manufacturing plant changes.)

Would it be possible to arrange direct shipping from China? That way, instead of paying to get the sub to the US and from there to Europe, we would only pay for a China-Europe shipment.

Thanks for the post, Grubert. I've forwarded this post on to Mark Schifter (our president) - he'll be posting as soon as he gets back into the office this morning. Our new factory is truly his baby - one that he's spent countless hours with over the past several months - and I'm sure he'd like to personally answer your questions. Thank you for your patience!

Originally posted by Grubert

Good Morning...

I'm just getting ready to hit the road... but the quick answer is YES... we could arrange this for you as we own this factory and we of course ship all over the world from China...

In fact... we have a deep sea port 5 minutes (with a WONDERFUL / SMOOTH road) from our front door...

Please do let me know if I can help...

All the best...

mls

Thank you both!!

This is getting very interesting. Pity about that 60-day waiting period for the 240V version - Summer exodus will be on us by then!

Well, let me throw this at you then...if a few of you are interested in some sort of a UK power buy, there's a slight chance that I could talk the boss into air-freighting in a shipment of 240V amplifiers and preparing a few units (probably 10-15) to ship in the next couple weeks. Interesting indeed ;)!

Sorry for cross pollinating the messages on this board, but:
There is a review, done by those very reliable chaps at Secrets of Home Theater (sic), of the Onix Rocket UFW-10 Subwoofer. It reads very well stating a 27hz @-3db response, which is very good indeed after reading the recent hifi news sub roundup. The review is here if anyone is interested. If I hadn't bought my Q400 then I would certainly be up for one. Unless I can sell mine. of course...

Russell

RussRaff... Here is a raw data of a sweep of the UFW-10 at 4 meters... it pretty much matches the results of the Secrets review you linked.... EDIT - The average SPL was 74.5 dB at the measuring position. I have four UFW-10's being delivered to test in the same room that twin SVS PB2+ were in.

Attachments

• ufw-10 sweep raw data.txt
    593 bytes · Views: 97
With some notes on how the PB2+ and UFW-10 compare. This was with a single UFW-10 in a room 13 x 5 x 2.5 meters

Attachments

• $600review.txt
    14.7 KB · Views: 360
Originally posted by Steve Ozmai
Well, let me throw this at you then...if a few of you are interested in some sort of a UK power buy, there's a slight chance that I could talk the boss into air-freighting in a shipment of 240V amplifiers and preparing a few units (probably 10-15) to ship in the next couple weeks. Interesting indeed ;)!
If you can wait until the end of May I'm up for it :thumbsup:

I will be up for a complete 7.1 set up if you will ship them over and the price is right ;)

Steve,

Thanks to Ettepet's advertising on the Dutch forum I've been looking into the UFW-10.
And I've been getting more and more covetous of a Twin UFW-10 stack.
So if you would consider the Netherlands as being in the UK ballpark (most of us speaks English anyway ;) ) I would be most pleased to take part in a power buy.

Thanks,
Mark

Originally posted by markvl
Steve,

Thanks to Ettepet's advertising on the Dutch forum I've been looking into the UFW-10.
And I've been getting more and more covetous of a Twin UFW-10 stack.
So if you would consider the Netherlands as being in the UK ballpark (most of us speaks English anyway ;) ) I would be most pleased to take part in a power buy.

Thanks,
Mark

Thanks Mark...

I know things are very busy today at av123 and Steve will be along soon to reply... :cool:

Appreciate this of course...

All the best...

mls

Thanks for the posts guys. I'm still working on expediting a few 240V subs out here, but don't have the details as of yet. Will be back as soon as possible to post the results. I'm thinking this WILL be possible...it's just a matter of when. Rather than make this power buy offer a "regional" thing, how about we make it an "AV Forum Member" thing :D!

Originally posted by Steve Ozmai
Rather than make this power buy offer a "regional" thing, how about we make it an "AV Forum Member" thing :D!
Sounds good to me :clap:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom