1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rock Hard Technical Questions

Discussion in 'Portable Disc & Media Players & Recorders' started by analyt, Sep 4, 2005.

1. analyt

analyt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everyone, wonder if you can help with some questions im having difficulty getting a rock solid unbias answer to:-

1) If i order a factory fit hands free mobile kit, and a driver information system, which shows info on a small screen directly in front of me ie whos phoning me etc,(AudiA3).....and i then have an after market Sat Nav fitted will i lose the info re mobile phone on the info screen?
    Audi say I will,and that may be the case, or they could just want me to have their Sat Nav.

2) Tv Tuners, is the reception as bad as ICE company's say or is it a pain to fit?

3) Fancy a rear view camera even though I'm having rear parking sensors, been told it would be a waste of time. Any one had experience of both?

4) Would like privacy glass either factory fit or after market film, do the new legal restrictions take away the whole reason for having them, ie sun protection, anti theft, and privacy.....sounds like they have to be very light now? Also.... (stay with me we are at the end now) does privacy glass affect greatly signals for all of the above.

Thanks for hanging on in there!

2. Gazpilot

Gazpilot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mate, Don't know about 1 might be worth asking Here

2. Mine has pretty poor reception when moving, I'm in a weak signal area and the supplied aerial isn't very good. I have just ordered a Bosch aerial and will update this thread when it's fitted, as to fitting the TV system did mine myself in 5 mins.

T.V Aerial

3. I have the Pioneer rear view camera, it auto switches when you select reverse but can also be selected as vid source while going forward. I find it more usefull when I've loaded the boot and tend to use it as a rear view mirror. (you need to be carefull which camera you get as not all include the unit to reverse the image).

Pioneer Camera

4. The laws have changed and you need to be quite wary, I'm looking into this myself and have been told the signals will not be effected as tha aerials are external.

Attached Files:

3. analyt

analyt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanx Gazpilot, I thought about leaving a footnote on this post for you, i knew u'd come up trumps.

Your thumbnails have made my mind up, rear view is excellent, and great idea to use as rear view mirror, hadnt crossed my mind, i'm often loaded up to the hilt. Taken on board vip reverse image spec.

Will be interested to hear how Bosch aerial improves reception on TV. 5mins to fit !!! I'd been led to believe it was a complicated process.

Re privacy glass, yes understand its fine with external aerials,(duhh, would i need four externals ie Sat Nav, Mobile,TV, Radio?)

4. Gazpilot

Gazpilot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the internal T bar aerial for my phone mounted on the windscreen excellent reception and cheap as chips Phone aerial

The GPS aerial that comes with the Alpine kit is fine and also mounts on the dash near the A post and to tell the truth is almost invisible. (no pics yet but I'll do one later)

It is quite importantant to have a good FM aerial as the GPS unit has a built in tuner to recieve TMC traffic info and re-route you round accidents/traffic jams. I brought this dual DAB/FM one DAB/FM, if your not having DAB then you can get the FM/Phone one or even this one with GPS Multi

And you have already seen the T.V one.

I know the aerials are quite expensive but so is the rest of the kit and it wouldn't be worth fitting cheap ones.

5. analyt

analyt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey Gazpilot last evening spent FOUR hours on the linked website you posted to me www.tyresmoke.net couldnt drag myself away from it. Just been viewing it again! Mounds of interestinf info. Thankyou.

You sure know your stuff.... do you have a Phd in this?

PRIVACY GLASS
    Found a site which may be of interest to you www.pentagonglasstech.com fit royalty, celebs, etc good info on legislation, i have researched lots on new regs, this site has been most informative one.

Thanks for info re aerials.

6. Gazpilot

Gazpilot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Their meant to be tops for tints, they were recommended on the Alfa forum. Ithink I'll try and get a quote from them.