1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rock beats scissors, but does wireless beat wood?

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by Croker, Oct 18, 2005.

1. Croker

Croker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    Sorry for the cryptic title - I couldn't resist!

Anyway, I'm in the process of redesigning my bedroom set-up. I'm going to be putting my TV on a ceiling mount, and my devices in a built-in wardrobe, as a kind of an AV cupboard. However, I've just realised that I'm getting an Xbox 360, and that it'll have a wireless control. Now, I'm going to get an IR extender in order to use my DVD and similar devices, but I'm wondering if the wireless signals from the Xbox controller will penetrate the wood of the wardrobe doors without problems.

Does anyone know if this is correct? My Sony wireless headphones work when I leave the room, and go into the bathroom, or downstairs, so surely the Xbox controller would be the same (or at least similar)? I'd appreciate any advice you could give, because it could totally alter the way I'm going to reorganise my setup.

2. Jimbo73

Jimbo73

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    As no-one HAS a 360 yet, nobody can answer for sure... but if it's anything like existing wireless tech (bluetooth/wifi/etc) then wooden doors wont be a problem.

3. Croker

Croker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    I have an Xbox with wireless controller at the minute...I should probably try it out sometime. Hmmm.

Anyway, what if the doors had some glass in the middle, with a wooden surround? Would that make a difference, or not? Again, I'd assume it wouldn't, but any advice would be gratefully received!

4. Munkey Boy

Munkey Boy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,338
    I'd go out on a limb and say yes to this. My Wavebird for the GC works perfectly when the front of the AV cabinet is closed, though that is glass. Line of sight isn't needed obviously, and it'd be a pretty weak signal not to get through.

5. matt_p

matt_p

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    The controllers are using the 2.4Ghz range, the same range as (most) cordless telephones and 802.11 wireless LAN equipment etc. I would expect range to be pretty good, and should cope fine with a wooden door. I'd be amazed if it didn't.

Technically, the biggest problem isn't line-of-sight or range, but other 2.4Ghz equipment interfering and causing data loss between controller and 360.

6. Pooon

Pooon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +731
    The answer would have to be a massive YES. if you watch the 18min video of the 360 dashboard the actual 360 is mentioned as not being on the stage but its out the back and J.Allard also mention about there being 1200 journos all with their mobiles switched on and it didn't affect the controller at all, as can be seen in the video