• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Rock Band songs to CD purchases?

Tufty McTavish

Prominent Member
Has GH/RB made you buy a few CDs you wouldn't have otherwise? Yes, I'm a CD buyer as opposed to digital downloads. Maybe it's my advancing years... Either way, I just scanned the track lists for the various rhythm action games I've bought over the years, from GH2 onwards. I've picked up a fair few CDs by bands I wasn't previously aware of, or all that interested in, as a direct consequence of the GH/RB games.

• Danzig - Danzig (because of Mother from GH2)
  • Wolfmother - Wolfmother (as a result of Woman/GH2)
  • Muse - their entire back catalogue!!! (Knights of Cydonia/GH3)
  • The Killers - Sam's Town (When You Were Young/GH3-RB)
  • Heroes del Silencio - Avalancha (Avalancha/GH3)
  • Superbus - Pop'n'Gum (Radio Song/GH3)
  • Die Fantastischen Vier - Fornika (Ernten Was Wir Säen/GH3)
  • Paramore - All We Know Is Falling + Riot! (various tracks in GH:WT-RB)
  • Airbourne - Runnin' Wild (various tracks in GH:WT/RB)
  • Avenged Sevenfold - A7X (various, RB)
  • Testament - The Ritual (Electric Crown, RB)
So far only the Die Fantastischen Vier purchase was ill-advised. There are several other bands I've 'discovered' because of RB but I've yet to pick up any of their CDs, for instance (but not limited to):

• Scars on Broadway
  • In This Moment
  • Black Tide
  • Freezepop
  • Sixx:AM
  • Die Toten Hosen
  • Tokio Hotel
And of course there are several artists/bands that I already like but have some gaps in my CD collection. All in all RB has been good for my CD collection.

Mattk84

Banned
i have bought no cd's as a result of RB or GH but I have certainly 'discovered' bands that previously i did not really know leadint me to download them.
my son more than me has become a fan of certain bands eg pearl jam and judas priest to name but two.

it would be interesting to hear what happens to sales after being included in these games.

Jay on F1

Prominent Member
  • [B]Scars on Broadway[/B]
  • In This Moment
  • Black Tide
  • Freezepop
  • Sixx:AM
  • Die Toten Hosen
  • Tokio Hotel
And of course there are several artists/bands that I already like but have some gaps in my CD collection. All in all RB has been good for my CD collection.

The scars on broardway album is really strong. 'They say' will obviously stand out to you on a first listen, but after a couple of listens the quality of the whole album shows. Great first effort by the band :thumbsup:

Kinetic Frenzy

Prominent Member
i haven't bought any albums either due to RB or GH but i have listened to many a track on Grooveshark which before hand i wouldn't known about / thought of putting on my playlist :thumbsup:

edwardtickle

Established Member
Just bought the Killswitch Engage album due to "My Curse" on GH3, absolutely quality song, and album is brilliant as well, would recommend :smashin:

shoemaker666

Distinguished Member
i would love a CD of just the rock band songs so i could play it in my car.

maybe they should release it as an album just give them an excuse to make more money

maybe they should release it as an album just give them an excuse to make more money

i like it but dont tell m$ or it will be download only and u will have to pay per track

Stinja

Distinguished Member
Teh Mrs, who normally listens to stuff like Enya or movie soundtracks of "Top Gun" or "The Bodyguard", bought some Rise Against after listening to me play "Re-education (Thru Labor)" :eek:

Personally i'd rather buy more rb tracks, as i dont actually listen to music elsewhere much now - cant while i commute or work, and not much time apart from that.

chewyx

Prominent Member

dont think it will ever happen sadly as all the bands have different labels and geting them all to agree would be one step too far. Besides aren't there like 900 songs now. 20 songs per cd 900 songs = ....... well its alot of CD's anyway.

I think i-tunes sells some rock band packs but it may be the US store only.

chewyx

Prominent Member
really are we over 1000 already:eek:

You wait till RBN launches (well not you stinja but the rest of us:devil:) apparently there are already close to 100 songs waiting for peer review with 20 already authorised and its still in the closed beta.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom