Rock Band - Play & Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

breadbun

Just got this tonight (cheers to bombavich!!) - and what can I say - superb game! :D Drums being the one thing I havent done before (as I already have Singstar and GH3). Really enjoying it, although happy to stay in training and on Easy level so far, although I did venture online and that was a laugh, joining up with 3 other people to play a song together!

Guitar took some getting used to after GH3. On Easy level, its definitely a more sedate pace than GH3, less notes to worry about, but has anyone else noticed that it seems you have to be a lot more precise getting the notes spot on than you do in GH3. I noticed this straight away, missed loads of what I would have thought were easy, but must have been because I was a shade too early or late.

Anyway, Im rambling now - but so far, dont regret the purchase at all. Just need somewhere to store all the kit without it getting damaged, hmm, that'll be a challenge! :)

kendoll

Just got this tonight (cheers to bombavich!!) - and what can I say - superb game! :D Drums being the one thing I havent done before (as I already have Singstar and GH3). Really enjoying it, although happy to stay in training and on Easy level so far, although I did venture online and that was a laugh, joining up with 3 other people to play a song together!

Guitar took some getting used to after GH3. On Easy level, its definitely a more sedate pace than GH3, less notes to worry about, but has anyone else noticed that it seems you have to be a lot more precise getting the notes spot on than you do in GH3. I noticed this straight away, missed loads of what I would have thought were easy, but must have been because I was a shade too early or late.

Anyway, Im rambling now - but so far, dont regret the purchase at all. Just need somewhere to store all the kit without it getting damaged, hmm, that'll be a challenge! :)

Yeah, the guitar seems to go at a slower pace that GHIII on easy. Hadn't noticed the need to be more accurate though. Have you calibrated it?

Been playin this a lot with my fiancee, me on guitar (easy) and her on drums (medium), and have to say I am loving it! :smashin: Enjoying being able to play 2 player, and can't wait until the patch is released so we can have a couple of mates over for 4 player band action!

Well worth the money, and probably the whole rigmarole of the order/delivery saga :)

breadbun

Yep. Deffo want to use my GH3 guitar. I plugged it in, and it sees it and lets you use it as a "dumb" controller, but not as a guitar. Im guessing thats what all the recent fuss is about regarding a patch. I will also try calibrating! :) Thanks.

MadMaelstrom

You're right, while it seems a lot slower (even on medium) it definitely needs you to be more precise.
Found Timmy last night (woot!) no suprise its quite tricky.

How are your guitars all holding out? I've managed to locate another kit now as Im getting sick of running repairs on my one.

bombavich

Standard Member
My guitar is fine.

I've agree you definitely need to be more accurate than with GH3, well the xbox version anyway.

I find the fret buttons a little harder to use, especially with hammer ons/pull offs. It all feels a little fragile and not as responsive.

I'd do anything for them to allow my explorer to work, I feel I can really bash that around. I think I also need the loud click of its strum bar to keep me in rythym during the fast sections.

Whilst I'm complaining.. that bloody foot pedal! Anyone having any luck getting their drumming to a good standard? I'm sticking to easy at the moment, guess I'm not as coordinated as I'd hoped.

MadMaelstrom

Whilst I'm complaining.. that bloody foot pedal! Anyone having any luck getting their drumming to a good standard? I'm sticking to easy at the moment, guess I'm not as coordinated as I'd hoped.

Do the tutorial, as with most drum pedals there is a lot of travel on it, this is normal so that you can put some weight on the pedal inbetween kicks and just do the final bit when needed. Saves your calf/shin muscles in a big way :D

breadbun

Guitar took some getting used to but I think I am going to prefer the strum bar without the click, rather than the clicky GH3 version. I agree about the fret buttons though, seem a bit more fragile, and the Green one sticks a little on mine, I also find I have to hold my guitar in a completely diffferent way to make pressing the fret buttons easier.

Re: the drums - Im getting on OK, still on Easy though and probably will be for a good while yet, but the kick pedal is my main stumbling block too! My legs/feet just aren't used to the action/movement required to use a pedal - not yet anyway. So I'm shuffling around trying to find a comfortable position. Also, I will need to sort out my seating position for the drums, cos I'm not sure its quite right at the moment. Anyway, plenty of experimenting to do!

kendoll

Had a go at the Drums on Easy tonight for the first time ever (and I mean ever - my fiancee actually had a drum kit and I never played it). :eek:

I actually enjoyed it! I expected to be absolutely pants at it, but on easy I actually managed to get ovet 90%! :thumbsup:

Looking forward to playing on the drums more, and I think I am ready to move to medium on the guitar.

I cannot get enough of this game!!! :D

Bring on the GHIII guitar patch. :smashin: :lease:

N

Nick_g

Went to the range today to try and make something similar to http://www.drumshhh.com but couldn't find anything thick enough. Only small pieces of foam material which wouldn't really stand up to much long term beating.

Might look at importing some after xmas depending on how much I can get them for unless I find anything more substantial in the mean time.

kendoll

Went to the range today to try and make something similar to http://www.drumshhh.com but couldn't find anything thick enough. Only small pieces of foam material which wouldn't really stand up to much long term beating.

Might look at importing some after xmas depending on how much I can get them for unless I find anything more substantial in the mean time.

They look good. Might get these as I have a mate spending Xmas and NY back in the states, so could get them delivered to his place for free.

Hmmmm.

M

Mrs kendoll

Has anyone else noticed huge lag problems with both drumming free fills and singing ?

I thought it was just my drumming ;) - however when I actually had a good think about it, I realised that my timing was "on" for the rest of the song (well, most of it :cool:).

Then kendoll had a go at drums the other night while I sang - and the lag while singing was unbearable and is unplayable. We have Singstar and it works perfectly.

Apparently it is also a big problem for many others. I thought I would raise it incase anyone else is also feeling as frustrated as I am.

Here's a link to an 18 page thread about it on the tech support forum on the official Rock Band website: http://www.rockband.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10861

There are some very useful ideas for trying to get the lag corrected, but the general concensus at the moment seems to be that HMX have made a programming error. No official word from them yet (other than the first post of the thread which acknowledges the problem).

And its not just PS3 owners with the problem, but Xbox 360 also. But the strangest part is that not all Rock "Banders" are affected. So could be programming, could be AV equipment, could be display - very unclear right now. :confused:

Dazza Cole

Have you tried the calibration option? That allows you to program for any synch issues between the equipment

M

Mrs kendoll

Have you tried the calibration option? That allows you to program for any synch issues between the equipment

Sure have - but thanks !

We used the calibration to time up the drum - and it works perfectly "except" for the drum fills. Apparently also if you calibrate one device (say the guitar) that can potentially put the timing out for the drums/mic etc....

Sounds like you aren't having problems - I'm very jealous. But for anyone who is, give the thread I referenced above a look. Many things are being blamed for this problem. Some are: "lip sync" lag setup on the reciever, Dolby Digital (some people have to turn it off ! Not liking the idea of that), lag issues with particular displays, some people have no A/V equipment what-so-ever and have the problem, plus many more.

It seems to be something to do with the free form part of the game - the game can anticipate you are going to hit a drum (and uses your calibration settings accordingly) but it obviously can't anticipate what you are going to do in either a drum fill, or when you are singing, and that's when the problem occurs.

Drumming particularly is very off putting, you get completely out of time during fills and its hard to pick it up again quickly when they end.

Dazza Cole

I'm not having any problems.....because I only have the game and not the bundle! So am stuck with it as a karaoke game only :thumbsdow Which is why I haven't seen the problem of calibrating one item messing up the rest

M

Mrs kendoll

I'm not having any problems.....because I only have the game and not the bundle! So am stuck with it as a karaoke game only :thumbsdow Which is why I haven't seen the problem of calibrating one item messing up the rest

Here's hoping you never see it mate. Believe me, it's aweful :thumbsdow

breadbun

I thought there was something odd about the drum fills.... I thought it was just me not having a clue about how to drum (maybe it is, I will keep an eye out!)

Darth_terra

Distinguished Member
Here's hoping you never see it mate. Believe me, it's aweful :thumbsdow

did you do manual calibration or Auto, i have spoken to some on the RB forums they find that the manual calibration works better as you have more scope to tweek for your perticular setup, the Auto is more for a general setup, and with Tvs, recivers etc not always being the same the Auto isn't going to work that well for all, if you have already tried manual then just ignore the post. :)

kendoll

did you do manual calibration or Auto, i have spoken to some on the RB forums they find that the manual calibration works better as you have more scope to tweek for your perticular setup, the Auto is more for a general setup, and with Tvs, recivers etc not always being the same the Auto isn't going to work that well for all, if you have already tried manual then just ignore the post. :)

Cheers, mate, however the problem is not the calibration general, it is specific to the 'fill' sections. Everything plays pefrectly during normal drumming, but it loses synch during the fill sections.

If you have the game try just maintaining a regular beat in time with the music during the fill section (when you can play anything you like) and take note of whether it actaully stay in time. Ours doesn't. We can get over 95% when drumming on Medium, so the synch is OK in general.

breadbun

me and the missus have just been discussing this, and she agrees that it is impossible to stay in time during the drum fills... totally impossible. She reckons she was just doing very simple beats to stay in time with the song, but that it was way out... normal drumming is absolutely fine.

So, can I urge other people to take a close look at what happens during your drum fills and get back to us here to let us know if you notice anything strange.

kendoll

me and the missus have just been discussing this, and she agrees that it is impossible to stay in time during the drum fills... totally impossible. She reckons she was just doing very simple beats to stay in time with the song, but that it was way out... normal drumming is absolutely fine.

So, can I urge other people to take a close look at what happens during your drum fills and get back to us here to let us know if you notice anything strange.

Well, at least there are 2 of us. :devil:

Going to have a play around with my setup later, will let you know the outcome.

Bowsie

would it still be possible to download extra songs from the ps store with the import version on a UK ps3?

:thumbsup:

kendoll

would it still be possible to download extra songs from the ps store with the import version on a UK ps3?

:thumbsup:

Do you mean when it comes out here and the songs are available for download on the UK PSN?

I have successfully downloaded Add-On packs/songs fom the US PSN for my import copy on a UK PS3. :smashin:

Bowsie

Do you mean when it comes out here and the songs are available for download on the UK PSN?

I have successfully downloaded Add-On packs/songs fom the US PSN for my import copy on a UK PS3. :smashin:

yes, when it comes out here, would it be possible? how did you get songs from the us store on your uk ps3? :cool:

kendoll

yes, when it comes out here, would it be possible?

That is pretty much anyones guess at the moment, but just going on the way GHIII works, then i would say no. :(

how did you get songs from the us store on your uk ps3? :cool:

Using the idtprime mastercard method mentioned earlier in this thread. Just do a search for idtprime and you should get result on how to do it. Works a treat and is very easy to set up.

Also, if you can't download UK content for the US version then there is the option to buy the UK Solus version. :smashin:

breadbun

Yeah... if the IDT thing doesnt work for me then I will probably end up having to buy the UK Solus version. Just out of interest, is it likely that the UK will get different downloadable content to the US? Has this been mentioned anywhere?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Melco update improves N10, N100 and N1 EX digital libraries
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Loewe launches We.See TVs under new 'We. by Loewe' sub-brand
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Movies Podcast: 1st December 2021
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
Rumour: Samsung even closer to OLED TVs in 2022?
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Audio-Technica launches ATH-SQ1TW true wireless earphones
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom