1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Robots is a kids film: shock!

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by godzilla, Mar 23, 2005.

1. godzilla

godzilla

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Maybe not that controversial, but I went to see Robots yesterday (first visit to the cinema in months) and was mildly disappointed to find out that it was 100% a U certificate kids movie.

I suppose being delighted by Toy Story 2, Shrek etc, I was expecting this film to work on several levels, and it is stunning to look at and quite amusing, just not the script that some of the previous CG films have had.

And maybe because it is a U certificate, they didn't play the Star Wars 3 trailer... :(

2. CrispyXUK

CrispyXUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Most western animations are aimed at kids though aren't they

3. Marc

Marc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,081
    i was disappointed with Robots too. Not only was the story poor, the humour lacking and the characters bland, It also seemed very unambitious to say the least. In the days of rendered hair and fur, skin and bone, to go back to generating metal is a real step backwards. I could probably create and render a robot on my home computer, it's about the easiest thing to do.

4. edinburgh160

edinburgh160

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the trailers and word of mouth has put me off this film.
    Problem all studios (outside DIsney/Pixar) have is that they will be always be compared to Pixar films, and nothing can compete with the likes of The Incredibles / Toy Story etc - it just can't be done. I mean, I watched the Incredibles for the first time last night and it was outstanding (from Picture & Sound Quality to the hilarious main feature).

5. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    One line from a news clip about Robots did it for me: "From the people that brought you the blockbuster Ice Age..."

That's when I knew I'd never see the film.

6. nealgs

nealgs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    what's wrong with Ice Age?? brilliant film excellent characters, and plenty of fur animation with no metal insight :)

I'd put it up there with TS, Shrek etc for sure.

Gary

7. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    I'm with Azrikam on Ice Age, it just didn't float my boat. Bland characters and a ropey script, unfortunately I thought the same about the Incredibles so my opinion probably isn't valid. :rolleyes:

I think I'll be passing on Robots and hoping for a CGI film of the same calibre as Finding Nemo and Monsters Inc to be released again. :)

8. Marc

Marc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,081
    i liked ice age a lot more the 2nd time i watched it, but i still wasn't convinced by all the cgi, a lot of the movie was obviously snow and they used that to their advantage by having very flat textures. The little squirrel was great though, definitely the best thing in the movie :)

9. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +995
    Are you telling me you didn't like scrat, the star of the show! :clap:

10. Kazuya Mishima

Kazuya Mishima

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    Guys, I know this is a "kids" film, and perhaps lacks the knowing humour of Shrek et al, but I have not laughed as hard in a long time. I thought Robots was great - I was expecting to not like it, being a 'Pixar snob', and reading reviews etc - some of the stuff was fantastic. Maybe I have a crap sense of humour but I guffawed loudly when Rodney Copperbottom became magnetised and iron filings clung to his head in amusing styles, I sniggered when a robot was performing the dance move known as "The Robot", and I was crying with laughter when the robots had an 'under-arm farting' contest which ended with one of the robots absolutely letting rip with a house-quaking guff.

Revenge of the Sith WAS shown as a trailer when I saw this (last Friday, 6.30pm, UGC Dundee).

Some big fat bloke (think he was with his kids) said to me and Mrs. Kazuya, "Are you two no' too old to see this? *chuckle chuckle* " (we are both 31). I did not respond. Two minutes later Revenge of the Sith came on - I shot him a look (in the dark!) which said "Ha! Take that, ignoramus!"

Robots - :smashin: