1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Robocop

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by ADEOWEN, Mar 19, 2002.

1. ADEOWEN

ADEOWEN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I saw in smiths today a robocop 4 disc dvd set of different movies,is this any good?has anyone seen them and what are they like?

2. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Ade,

Firstly, there is no 4-disc boxed set of "Robocop" in any shape or form, in existance in the UK, or USA for that matter.

I am presuming therefore, what you saw was the £29-99 (approx) set containing "RoboCop", "RoboCop 2" and "RoboCop 3". (Was the packaging silvery-blue, by any chance?)

Quickly summing up:
    - RoboCop is the Unrated Director's Cut, but still has an odd few frames of material missing. As such, it is NOT totally uncut, unlike the "Criterion" USA release.
    - The first film does have DD5.1 sound, but many people say that it is not particularly well used. "Criterion" has only Dolby Surround or Mono audio mixes.
    - There are more, and new extras on the UK version of "RoboCop", which might make you be willing to buy it, in comparison to the US "Criterion" release.
    - The actual disc is not particularly good, and handles the "seamless branching" of the new Unrated material really badly. As such, on many DVD players, the film is almost unwatchable. So, if you do buy this set, keep your receipt handy!
    - "Robocop 2" is uncut, but has no extras. Ditto with number 3.

Ultimately, it's a bit of a waste of money, in my opinion, unless you absolutely have to have the Region 2 version because you don't own a multi-region DVD machine, or you love movies 2 and 3 as well.

As this is unlikely, I'd recommend just getting the "Criterion" version of "RoboCop: Unrated Director's Cut", which has been deleted, but is still available from several online websites, if you look around. However, be prepared to spend upto £30 for it!

Pooch

3. dUnKle

dUnKle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,406
    POOCH me old mate ! you are wrong.....

I imagine what ADE has seen would be the four disc PRIME DIRECTIVE mini-series of made for TV Robocop movies.

I have the 1st two as they were cheap at play but have not yet watched them. I imagine they are just going to be so-so in quality but for the price you can not complain !!

4. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Duncan,

Ah well. Fair enough!

Ade - maybe you can tell us a little bit more, then we can possibly help you better.

Pooch

5. Dirk 2

Dirk 2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Having bought both, the Criterion & UK versions of Robocop, I would despute that there is a difference in footage (which few frames did you mean Pooch).

I think that the branching problem, clouds the issue. On my Pioneer DVL 919, the pauses are quite lengthy whilst the player struggles to jump between footage. However, I have lent the disk to a friend with a more recent player and he said the effects were negligible. I also found that the branching handled a lot better on my laptop of all places!

I still think the boxset is good value, although the two sequals are inferior movies. It is a step in the right direction that the movies have been released in the UK without any censorship issues.

At present R1 has just a bare bones theatrical print, but a special addition is on the way, so may be the more cautious amongst you may wish to hang on for this version, as R1 always seems to get a better deal.

6. Nike

Nike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Play are doing a box-set of all 4 'prime directives' films for £14.99.

I believe they are 1.85/1 non-amamorphic & DD5.1 sound.

I've not seen them, but thought for £3.75 a film it had to be worth a pop!

7. ADEOWEN

ADEOWEN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    For the replys,yes i did mean the prime directives boxset.i think at the price i will give it a go,especially as its buy one get one half price in smiths,cheers.......