1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Robocop Trilogy Boxset and Toshiba Sd2109

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by KingLarsson, Feb 9, 2002.

1. KingLarsson

KingLarsson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    received it this morning and some of the extras refuse to play on my toshiba, the deleted scenes, stills gallery, making of the directors cut.

i am totally pi**ed off with this situation, i read that toshiba dvd players are having problems with the robocop 1 disc.

i honsetly feel like contacting watchdog. MGM advertise the directors cut as seamless, well it aint seamless thats for sure, hopefully as many people as possible will email watchdog about this. I feel the disc should be repressed as i read columbia did this with gladiator for people with problems on the wharfdale or was it the samsung.

thanks

2. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,863
    Hi,

I may well anoy you (and others) by saying this next comment, but why not just invest in a better DVD player?!

Yes, I know the Samsung, and Toshiba, and all these other "budget-priced" DVD machines have had good reviews, and some are claimed to be multi-region or region-free using a handset hack, but to be honest, they are a waste of money, because the machines simply give-up-and-die whenever a new DVD comes out that uses decent DVD technology like seamless branching.

The amount of DVD's that are claimed to be faulty, but are actually down to the machines simply not being particularly good is a joke.

I bought a Pioneer 626D DVD player, over two years ago now, and NOT ONCE has any DVD from anywhere in the world ever been rejected by machine, apart from genuinely damaged/faulty DVD pressings.

Yes, the machine cost me the best part of £400, but it was worth it!

I expect to get a lot of angry e-mails from owners of these "budget-priced" players, and I apologise if my comments sound elitist, but this whole things just shows how pointless it is to expect to pay less money for a machine, and then expect perfect performance from it!

Pooch

3. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, I've got a two year old Pioneer 525, which also has played everything thrown at it, including the seamless branching on R1 & R2 'Independence Day' & 'The Abyss, but it still does not like the seamless branching on 'Robocop'. I think, with so many different players having trouble with this title, it's a disc issue.

4. Marty McFly

Marty McFly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yup, it's a well known fact the Robocop (R2) has some problems and that they are not all down to dodgy players.

The so called branching is meant to be like 3-4 layer changes in one movie as opposed to the seamless method seen in other discs. The 5.1 audio is also meant to be a big let down for those with the correct equipment as the bass reproduction and use of the rear speakers is very sub-standard.

After reading all the info that I have found on the boxset I now don't think that I'll be purchasing a copy, I have the Criterion R1 release and if all is true then I think I'm better sticking with it. As for complaining to WatchDog about the disc, I say go for it because I'ld be extremely ****ed off if I bought that set.

One last thing - Robocop 2 deserves the same treatment as the original movie and yet the authors of the boxset decided, oooh lets stick with Pro-Logic and leave the content the same as the ancient R1 version.

5. Dave H

Dave H

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +145
    Pooch I usually agree with most things you say but you are wrong in this case,calling the Toshibe 2109 a budget player and not to expect much from it is a load of rubbish.
    It is well known for having a great picture and it rivals players twice it's price even your pioneer.
    I have nearly 100 DVD's 80% of them region 1 and I have never had one single fault on any of them and that includes Gladiator Inderpendence day Fight club T2 T1 and all the other films that lock, wont layer change or won't play any of the extras.
    I think if you wait a few days there will be more players that are having problems with Robocop, and that it is proberly the disk breaking the rules like one did in the past and you had to send your disk back and get it exchaned.
    Dave.

6. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,863
    Dave,

Thanks for your kind comments about almost always agreeing with me!

As for the Toshiba issue, I still don't think much of them, but - as the sayings go - each to their own. As such, I'm happy to disagree.

Having said that, I've heard a lot of people complain that the recent UK RoboCop DVD release is far from "seamless branching", and is more like having 4 or 5 really-awful layer-changes on the same disc.

As such, I have no intention of buying the UK version, and would rather stick to my Criterion Edition for the time being.

Pooch

7. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know someone who has a 626 with the manual and auto region code change and his player rejected Ghosts Of Mars and a Nights Tale - Both RCE funny enough. It does however play ALL other discs perfectly.:confused:

8. DaleL

DaleL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I to have had problems with the RoboCop Trilogy (disc 1) on my Tosh.I have to load the disc several times befor it will work.
    BTW this is the only disc that has ever failed on my otherwise excellent Tosh`.
    I also think the sound quality of this disc is a big let-down.
    The scene where the bad guys shoot Murphy to pieces sounds more like mono than 5.1.
    I was looking forward to the release of this box set ......but what a let down it has turned out to be.
    :mad:

9. KingLarsson

KingLarsson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    IMHO the tosh is an excellent DVD player and like its been said it had never given me any bother with other DVDs i.e. T2 etc, but the MGM robocop 1 dvd is the only problem i have ever had.

i mailed watchdog and i wait for a reply.

anyway its about time i bought a new dvd player, i have spotted the Panasonic DVD RA61 for £299 @ multiregionmagic.co.uk

10. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    whilst some players may be more reasonably priced than others.....there is still a major point to remember....one that applies to every single player on the market, and to the discs as well.

A DVD player is sold such that it plays DVD's, not just a select few, ALL dvd's. You may say more recent disc technologies are to blame....well in that case the disc is at fault. If a manufacturer sells a dvd player or supplies a dvd, it HAS to work with the equipment it is designed for!! Its just common sense! In fact its he law!

if a product is sold for a stated use, it is irrelevant the cost or situation, it must be capable of performing the task specified.

Sorry to sound a bit attacking to pooch's comment, but coming from a small business background.....thats the truth of it.

ad

11. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I could not agree more with buns' opinions. DVD players should play all DVDs and vice versa. We (the public) seemed to have been fobbed off with this new technology / cheap player spin for ages. The DVD 'world' should no longer be producing this kind of situation.

12. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,460
    will have to try robocop r2 on mine tonight, and see if it works..!

won't look good on a 14" portable though!!