Quantcast

Robocop Returns (TBC) dir: Abe Forsythe

Lusankya

Wow.

raduv1

Distinguished Member
At least Sir Ridley can't fudge this one up for him ;) . Great news and should be the perfect director for the franchise :thumbsup:.

Rambo John J

Distinguished Member
I'm pleased to see he's got a new big screen project on the go :thumbsup:

maybe now we'll get the sequel the original deserved. I'll be looking forward to some absolutely massive guns :D

Drax1

Distinguished Member
I'd like to see Peter Weller involved in some capacity, even if it's requires the aid of some quality effects work or some voice work.

Drax1

Distinguished Member
This appears to be following Hollywood's latest tread - take a well loved original film, and ignore every follow up since. With this, Halloween, and Terminator, surely it's only a matter of time before Blomkamp's own Aliens sequel is re-energised. :)

raduv1

Distinguished Member
Great news! Blomkamp is a really great choice for this. Can't wait!
Yup District 9 and Elysium is kinda a job application for Robocop in many ways . I do like the realistic imagery he brings and the weaponry he delivers in his films.

Match , made if it follows Verhoven even just a lil .

alphaomega16

Distinguished Member
Oh god why

Lusankya

This appears to be following Hollywood's latest tread - take a well loved original film, and ignore every follow up since. With this, Halloween, and Terminator, surely it's only a matter of time before Blomkamp's own Aliens sequel is re-energised. :)
I was thinking that. After the abysmal Covenant Ridleys powers maybe some what dampened. If this does well then maybe there is a chance.

mooperman

Distinguished Member
i thought the remake from a few years back wasnt as bad as everyone made it out to be - sure not a patch on the original robo-dredd but overall it was a decent enough update.

i'd love a sequel to D9 but thats probably out the picture - i reckon he'll do good job with this.

terencejames

I read that they're re-working an script for the original sequel in which Robocop was moth-balled and brought back online line years later. I'm OK with this as long as Weller is involved and it's not a 12a certificate.

richp007

Distinguished Member
Unlike the rest of you, I don't feel the hype for this. Robocop for me was very much a product of the 80's way of life. That's exactly where it will always belong. I hated the remake a few years back with a passion too, so that probably doesn't help things!

theprestige

I kinda see where Rich is coming from. As much as I really like Blomkamp's work, the concept of Robocop does indeed feel like a product of it's time, and Verhoeven's satirical nature was perfect for such a film.

That said, it's Blomkamp and if any young emerging filmmaker deserves a crack at Robocop, it's him and i'm already convinced that this film will be MUCH better than the sequels and I don't even have to mention to remake.

QuestShield

Distinguished Member
Unlike the rest of you, I don't feel the hype for this. Robocop for me was very much a product of the 80's way of life. That's exactly where it will always belong. I hated the remake a few years back with a passion too, so that probably doesn't help things!
In these Trumpy snowflakey times perhaps it's a better time to revisit that violent reality!

richp007

Distinguished Member
the concept of Robocop does indeed feel like a product of it's time, and Verhoeven's satirical nature was perfect for such a film.
That's pretty much exactly what i was trying to say. But it was 2am in the morning when I posted, and my thinking head was nowwhere to be seen!

The original felt so right for the time, and I am getting just a little bit sick of all these remakes now too. And rarely do they offer anything new, or challenge in quality.

That's not to say Blomkamp isn't a talented guy, and it's in a safer pair of hands than most. But I'd still rather it doesn't happen. The pessimist in me just sees me being disappointed already!

MarkusThatch

Distinguished Member
Really hope this goes ahead. Was never really keen on Robocop 2, I know it has it's cheerleaders but nah, it was such an inferior film to the original. Be great to get a proper sequel and quite heartened to see who's involved in this. Blomkamp is a great choice, albeit his output has been up and down since the fab District 9, although the effects in his films always look incredible. Hope they keep a similar style with the news links/ads from the originals. "Can I have them both!?"

Basically I hope this opens the door to the Aliens sequel and helps me put out of my mind the frankly weird attempts by scott to explain the origins of the Alien.

sammy the squid

Distinguished Member
It’s got to be Peter Weller when the helmet comes off. But I do agree with the above posters, the original was a product of its time..not sure how a sequel would work if set in the current day.

Loved the sequel to the original - Officer Duffy was a rotten cop :p