1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Robocop - Criterion Collection

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Juzminator, Apr 20, 2001.

1. Juzminator

Juzminator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Just a quick note to everyone...

This is in stock at Future Entertainment again (£29.99) - just got mine. (Apologies if everyone knew this already :eek: )

One quick question though (I haven't seen it yet) - this is supposedly an unrated version with extra "excessively violent" scenes in it, but if you visit the BBFC web site and do a search for Robocop, the results show that, for the theatrical release over here, the running time was 102m 38s - and "This work was passed with no cuts made" - the CC DVD runs at 103m - I notice that the video release over here runs at 98m 28s "with no cuts made" - I saw Robocop at the cinema originally (I was only 15 - what a rebel huh?! :cool: ) - so I take it that this DVD is exactly the same as the UK theatrical release?

Sorry to bore you all if this topic has already been covered. :rolleyes:

BTW, the web site for the BBFC is:
    WWW.BBFC.co.uk

It's well worth a visit just to see if your favourite flicks really have been butchered.

Juz :D

[ 20-04-2001: Message edited by: Juzminator ]

2. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    No, it isn't the same as the UK (or US) theatrical release. The Criterion item is the only place you can see this version of the film. The additional scenes (actually scene extensions) total only a few seconds in length.

3. Juzminator

Juzminator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks LV,

So, does that mean that Verhoeven submitted a pre-cut version to the BBFC then?

Juz

PS - Just watched the "Theatrical trailer" bit - has anyone else noticed that the background music in this is actually from Terminator, with absolutely no effort to disguise/change it?...Weird :confused:

[ 20-04-2001: Message edited by: Juzminator ]

4. Jenz

Jenz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Juz,

No. It means Verhoeven cut it for the USA Release. The cut USA Release was then used for the UK Release. The uncut Criterion version has never been released in the UK.

The rights for the film on DVD are now with MGM. They are releasing a new version later this year but it is known to be the cut USA Cinema version.

They have stated that they may revisit the uncut version at a later stage but when this is we don't know yet. Its called fleecing the consumer in Marketing Speak.

Finally regarding Music, yes Music from other films is often used in Trailers when the film score is not complete. Terminator and Robocop were both owned by Orion Pictures hence the use of Terminator music.

Spin up the extras DVD for Gladiator and watch the Teaser Trailers - familiar? - thats the Conan The Barbarian Soundtrack...

Regards Neil.

5. Juzminator

Juzminator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Cheers Neil,

You learn something new every day don't you?
    :cool:

Juz

PS - Been to Bullets n Babes - tres cool ;)

6. MrFurious

MrFurious

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,493
    one of the extensuions in robo cop is when the ed209 shoots the suit in the start of the movie,he gets more of a hammering off the bullets than he did in the uk release :eek:

7. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Hi,

I highly recommend that you get hold of the now-deleted Criterion edition of "RoboCop", as whilst the new material is only more gore, it still makes a lot more sense, than either the ITV-edited version or the UK cinema or video versions.

If you've always wondered how Murphy is suddenly without an arm (dring the notoriously violent and distressing Murphy Gets Shot-To-Death scene), then wonder no more, for all is shown. However, be warned, the extra gore is both more visually brutal, as well as adding even more of a disturbing tone to the film. If you thought the film was violent already, then Verhoeven's "Unrated Cut" will destroy that myth completely!

Pooch

8. Juzminator

Juzminator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi all,

Seen the film now - very good, even though I'd seen it loadsa times before in various forms.

The extra footage really does amount to a few seconds only, but makes quite a bit of a difference (although, I'd have to say, if you were lukewarm towards the movie in the first place, this edition wouldn't change your feelings at all).

The picture is also good, sound is a bit lacklustre, but all in all I have to say that I'm extremely pleased with my (fiancee's!) purchase.

Like I said earlier, it was a film I first saw in my teenage years, and those films that were first seen in that period of one's life always seem to resonate the strongest.