1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Robin Hood - Prince of Thieves

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by FoxyMulder, Nov 24, 2003.

1. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the region 1 version of this and notice its being released on region 2 dvd next January, interesting thing is it claims to have 12 minutes of extended footage BUT whats the point of releasing it if its still going to have the cuts originally inflicted on it for the PG certificate. ?

2. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,863
    Foxy,

Yes, the R2 edition will still have cuts for violence and strogn language, but the film will still contain most of the extended footage itself. So, whilst you are getting a longer cut of the film, than the regular version, it just won't be the full and uncut version we'd all prefer.

I guess though, Warner's are deliberately trading on the fact that most people will buy the film for the kids, but not care (or know) of the major censorship that it goes through for TV, VHS and DVD.

Pooch

3. cybersoga

cybersoga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    I havn't seen this since the theatrical release. I think i'll wait for an extended uncut R1.

4. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    Extended and uncut R1 2 disc edition has been available for several months.

5. cybersoga

cybersoga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    PoochJD, do you know for a fact that the R2 extended version will still be cut compared with the R1 extended version, or are you guessing?

6. -J-

-J-

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  7. CrispyXUK

CrispyXUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    the "f" word didnt exist then did it?

8. -J-

-J-

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    well robin hood wouldnt have had an american accent either (if any of it had been true that is) but that didnt stop em ;o)

9. Cool-hand

Cool-hand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    What, "forum"!?

10. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,863
    Hi,

The R2 version of "Robin Hood: Prince Of Thieves - Extended Director's Cut" will still be censored.

Yes, the BBFC has been more lenient this time, but there is still footage missing, including:

- the opening escape by Robin and Azeem from the dungeon (cut for violent fighting and brutality)

- the infamous Will Scarlet declaring "F....... me, they cleared it", when Robin and Azeem are catapulted over the castle's battlements, towards the end of the film

- a shortening of the scene when the young boy (Much?) is hung at the gallows, in the final 20 minutes or so of the film

- the attempted rape of Marion by the Sheriff Of Nottingham

- minor edits for assorted battle violence, and hand-to-hand combat (e.g. kicks, punches to the head and face, etc).

Warner's always wanted the film to be a nice, happy PG certificate, even in the cinemas back in 1990, but when they saw what the finished film came back as, they weren't at all happy or impressed. I think, if memory serves, it was still cut for the cinemas, let alone for the 1992 VHS release. Uncut, it would probably have got a 12 certificate, and even potentially a 15, which Warner's refused outright at the time. Hence, they were forced to edit the film.

The following link to the IMDB site will list some of the cuts - mounting to about 35 seconds, and that's just from the original version, not the new, longer edit!!!

http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0102798/alternateversions

According to the BBFC site:...

"When "Robin Hood: Prince Of Thieves Director's Cut was submitted to the BBFC the work had a running time of 148m 39s. To obtain this category cuts of 0m 28s were required., some or all of these cuts were substitutions. The cuts were Cuts for the PG Category. Cuts required to violent detail, strong language, hanging and sexual assault detail in order to maintain previous PG category in accordance with the Video Recordings Act 1984, BBFC guidelines and reclassification policy."

As far as I know, the uncut, region 1 version of the Director's Cut of the film, runs to 155 minutes (NTSC speed). So, all-in-all, the BBFC/Warners are still cutting the film, by a total of about one minute, for violent and adult content, just to render the film into a nice, safe PG film!

If you like the film, don't buy the R2 UK version!

Pooch

11. cybersoga

cybersoga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    R1 extended version is the best for adult entertainment then - ordered - thanks :)

12. cybersoga

cybersoga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
  13. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I never really noticed the lip synch problem but then i never noticed it on Die Another Day either.

14. betamac

betamac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I watched the R1 last night i dont think the DTS track was that mind blowing to be onest but i did not notice the Lip sync problems

15. cybersoga

cybersoga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    There is a problem with my dvd's DTS track going out of sync about 75% of the way through the film because I tried it on 3 different DVD players/screens in the house and got the same results. The DD track works OK and doesn't sound much different so it's not really a problem. The sound quality of both tracks isn't particularly amazing, it sounds as old as the film.