1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Robin Hood Prince of Theives - where are the extras?

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Andy Godfrey, Jan 27, 2004.

1. Andy Godfrey

Andy Godfrey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is it jsut me or is anyone else disappointed with the extras on Robin Hood - Prince of Theives. True the commentaries are fine (I wish I was a better actor says Costner...well.....) but the second disk, which plays for under an hour, hardly has anything of any real interest at all. Certainly a retrospective docu is needed - are Warner ripping us off with this double disk set when all thats there could have surely been put on 1 disk. I am a bit annoyed.

2. SimonO

SimonO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    I worked on the film for nine months... What do you want to know..? I was about to buy this version myself, so I'm a bit disappointed to hear it may not be up to scratch...

3. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +838
    You should remember it is "warners", and other than a couple of decent editions (The Matrix SE & Unforgiven) they are very bad at
    DVD.

I always find it depressing when i see a film released at the cinema and see the Warners logo, because i know that the DVD will be rubbish.

I'm just glad that "New Line" got LOTR's and not the parent company "Warners" just think what we would have missed out on.

If anyone from Warners is reading this then "Get your act together and understand that DVD is here to stay and wee dont like your inferior approach to the medium. Oh and on the plus side thanks for dropping the snapper case"

Gary

4. Andy Godfrey

Andy Godfrey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply guys - if only people from Warners would read this! As I said the commentaries are fine - esp. the one with the producers but it would have been good to have more techinal, behind the sceens detail and may a decent docu on the history of Robin himself. Check out the Documentary on Disk 2 - its 31 minutes but how many of those are just Pierce Broson hamming up to the Americans. Will think twice before getting any more Warners disks - having said that does anyone have "The Adventures of Robin Hood" - that looks much better.

5. Miniholic

Miniholic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +398
    One of the guys at work has got The Adventures of Robin Hood, and he is well impressed, some good features, especially considering the age of the film. I'm hopefully borrowing it over the weekend, so I'll let you know my thoughts after I've seen it.

Ian.

6. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,329
    Are the sound and transfer as ropey as the R1 edition?

7. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +147
    The only reason I 'liked' the Warner snap cases was that you could instantly recognize it as a barebones DVD and is probably best avoiding!

8. malcy

malcy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is absolutely superb I have this as part of the R1 Warner Legends Box set which also includes 2 disk SE of Yankee Doodle & Treasure of the Sierra Madre
    It was one of the best box sets released last year

Robin Hood has been fully restored and looks amazing for a film from the 30s. There are also loads of extras over the 2 disks.
    These extras are not short as the one on Technicolor lasts an hour and is very interesting explaining its history including use in Wizard of Oz etc
    On R1 you get

Commentary by film historian Rudy Behlmer
    Warner Night at the Movies, 1938 introduced by Leonard Maltin including trailers, newsreel, musical short subject and cartoon "Katnip Kollege"
    Errol Flynn trailer gallery
    New documentary, Welcome to Sherwood (2003)
    Outtakes and the studio's annual year-end blooper reel
    "Robin Hood Through the Ages" featurette
    "A Journey to Sherwood Forest" travelog
    Documentary Glorious Technicolor (1998)
    Shorts: "Cavalcade of Archery" (1946) and "The Cruise of the Zaca" (1952)
    Galleries: Historical art, costume design, concept drawings, cast/crew photos, & publicity
    Audio only: "The Robin Hood Radio Show" and Korngold piano session
    Cartoons: "Rabbit Hood" and "Robin Hood Daffy

9. Andy Godfrey

Andy Godfrey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just back to "Prince of Theives" for a moment - have now listened to both commentaries all the way through and they are really good (apart from Morgan Freeman who seems to be asleep for most to the time) but still feel that they could have done better with the extras. Will get "The adventures of...." for sure.

10. captaineyecatch

captaineyecatch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Do you have the R2 release?? Is the film still badly cut like before??

11. Andy Godfrey

Andy Godfrey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah - I do have the R2 release and its actually 12 minutes longer than the Cinema version - and, despite what you may have read, the extra 12 mins do add at least 1 sub plot to the film and, I think do add to it. The pic quality is a bit soft but the sounds great.

12. captaineyecatch

captaineyecatch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Just had a look on the bbfc web site and sadly its still cut :mad:
    See Here
    Looks like the R4 dvd is the one to go for.

13. Darth_Fisto

Darth_Fisto

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    What's wrong with the sound and picture quality on the R1 of Prince of Thieves?

I was going to get this, but not the R2 as it's cut. Is the R1 not up to much?