Roberts WM202 / Stream 202

NickRich

Standard Member
Any views on this please, in particular the sound quality?

I was going to go for the Ecologic 4, liking the look of the separate treble and bass controls, but am now tempted by the extra functionality of this model. It appears, however, to have no tone or treble / bass controls. Is it good enough not to need them?

Also, does anyone know if you can stream from iTunes on a Mac?

Thanks.

Nick

Last edited:

ProfessorYaffle

I was fortunate enough to win one of these a few months back.

The setup was a breeze and the radio was up a running within minutes. The menus are sensibly laid out and the radio was easy to use. Media streaming worked and it coped with WPA2-PSK encryption.

However, I'd question the build quality - very flimsy plastic given the price. In addition, mine failed to start one day with a "USB Upgrade" message and has never worked since - I am currently arranging repair as Roberts suggested it was an irretrievable fault.

If I had to PAY for such a device, I would have gone for the Pure Evoke Flow personally. Much better build, not sure about reliability - Internet radios are a relatively new technology and going through a period of evolution.

NickRich

Standard Member
Thanks for the information. I can't say I'm keen on Pure. I'm replacing a Pure Evoke 1 which to my ears sounds very poor, hence my question about sound quality. The reliability question is a bit off-putting though, I must say.

Any other experiences with this or any other internet radios?

ProfessorYaffle

I've got a Pure Evoke-3 and the sound's very good - is the Evoke 1 mono?

Perhaps you should go to the high street and have a listen... The quality of DAB is relative to the bitrate of the broadcasts, though. Pure also does a gizmo to connect an iPod to many of their radios. The AUX socket is also very useful when connecting other audio, like phones and MP3 players.

NickRich

Standard Member
Yes, the Evoke 1 is mono, though has provision for adding another speaker to make it stereo.

You are right about having a listen, though it's often difficult in a shop environment. I'll take a trip to the high street. Thanks for the advice.

captainglassbac

Standard Member
Can't comment upon the 202 but I do own 2 x 201s which are internet only. The build quality and sound quality, (given the varying limitations of internet stations), are truly wonderful. Streaming works fine too. Can't comment upon Apple products. However they have already been left behind by new streaming formats that are not supported. I wrongly trusted Roberts to at least try and 'keep up'. Part of the problem is that you are forced to rely upon reciva dot com to support the radio.

NickRich

Standard Member
Thanks. Yes, the 201 looks good, but I'm still attracted by a portable "all in one" FM / DAB / internet set. I don't suppose I can expect it to sound as good though, since the 202 is cheaper than the 201.

I must admit I don't understand how streaming formats work at all. So an internet radio goes out of date because the formats change? Is there no provision for a firmware update or something similar? What is the role of reciva.com?

ProfessorYaffle

I must admit I don't understand how streaming formats work at all. So an internet radio goes out of date because the formats change? Is there no provision for a firmware update or something similar? What is the role of reciva.com?

The Stream 202 has the ability to have its firmware upgraded and states a reason for this is to support new formats.

Talking of updates, there has recently been one for the Stream 202 but alas the link on the Roberts' site doesn't work. If anyone has this, I'd be very grateful as it may revive my radio without the need to send it back - PM me if you do and I'll send you my email address.

NickRich

Standard Member
Yes I see what you mean about the 202 link not working. Judging from the link on the 201 page (which does work) this is probably just info on what the benefits of the update are. From what I understand from the manual, the radio is designed to download and install updates itself. Does that not work?

By the way, could I just confirm that the 202 does NOT have any means of adjusting tone / treble / bass? Thanks.

NickRich

Standard Member
Sorry, I forgot you already mentioned your radio doesn't work at all any more - presumably you can't even try the firmware update option.

ProfessorYaffle

Yes, all I can do is stare at a "USB upgrade" message and desperately work through all the button combinations in a vain attempt to get it to do anything.

Strangely, this is the 2nd time it's done this - it came back to life briefly the last time but not for long. I'd never attempted a software upgrade via the menu option as there were none available at the time. Maybe it attempted to update itself once the update became available and failed partially through the process?

I'm not sure Roberts are the best people to diagnose this. Ftontier Silicon may have a better idea or at least a method of applying the latest formware via USB - I'll contact them while I wait for arrangements for my radio to go back.

Navrig

I have had problems recently with my WM202 although prior to these problems I have been delighted with it.

We regularly listen to our local BBC station but recently it disappeared. After some faffing around I eventually clicked on the Upgrade option on the radio System Menu. It installed a new firmware and improved the menu system and allowed me to hear the repeat broadcast that the BBC is giving our in relation to the streaming format. I still do not have BBC local radio (Scotland in this case).

I have complained to the BBC (I cannot get FM or DAB reception for Radio Scotland but can for Radio 4 - and I live in Scotland).

I am still waiting to hear from the BBC.

mickbirch2000

Have just updated the firmware on my 202 via WI-FI using the menu buttons, display screen now better with scrolling info when streaming etc.
Did look a bit dead after the update as the screen went dark but pressing the standby/on button brought it to life. Then had to choose my router from the list & re-enter the network key, once that was done it reconnected at the 2nd attempt.The screen actually goes dark after a few seconds when going into standby which is much better especially if used in a bedroom as it was bright enough in standby before to light the whole room. Seems to be working fine, keeping my fingers crossed & the sound quality is excellent even when streaming. :D

NickRich

Standard Member
Thanks - I'm encouraged by your comment on the sound quality. Are you in a position to compare it to the Ecologic 4, which I thought sounded great?

I've tried to hear the WM202 but so far have only managed to hear a load of hiss and interference from a model in John Lewis, where they didn't seem to be able to pick up any stations at all!

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom