• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Roberts Stream 202 - Can't change password

Machloop

Established Member
As it says on the can, I'm struggling to change the password under pc settings on my 202. My old PC had XP on it which accepted [and got] a six digit password. My new Win7 monster insists on 8 digits [no problem you just put your full year of birth in :rotfl: ]

But changing the password on the radio at Music Player/PC settings/Password and pressing OK gives the message 'saved' OK but it doesn't. I can still see six stars in the password box indicating that my new eight digit one has not been saved.

Can some kind soul with a 202 see if they can change passwords as I wonder if this is a software bug in the new[ish] firmware. Page 31 of the book of words says 'use the return symbol' but keen observers will note that this is not in the new menu. :facepalm:

Machloop

Established Member
OK I phoned tech help who suggested a 'factory reset'. This has solved the problem [I think] - as all is now OK but I have not been asked for a password or user ID. :facepalm: Maybe I turned off the password protection in Win7.:confused:

superbike999

Established Member
Hi Machloop, I saw your original post and had a look at my settings. I couldn't recall having to input a password, but I think I had to input the serial number from the bottom of the router. (O2 wireless box 4). I'm using Windows 7 as well. My settings on the radio show the SSID name of my router.

Glad you seem to have solved it.

Machloop

Established Member
Hi Machloop, I saw your original post and had a look at my settings. I couldn't recall having to input a password, but I think I had to input the serial number from the bottom of the router. (O2 wireless box 4). I'm using Windows 7 as well. My settings on the radio show the SSID name of my router.

Glad you seem to have solved it.

The router password is a different thing. That allows you to log on to your wifi but to access your folders on your pc to stream your mp3s you need to 'share' the folders in Win7 - its this that needs an 8 digit password [minimum]. See control panel/Netwok and Sharing centre.

superbike999

Established Member
Right. I'm with you now. I must have forgotten having done that. I must have done it because the "music player" feature is working, although I don't use it much. It's quite a while since I set it up.

Machloop

Established Member
.OK, some more info. I did a 'factory reset' from the main menu and I also turned off password protection for my win7 shared folders [if the neighbours want to listen to my lady Gaga collection then good luck to them].

I can now access some but not all of my [supposedly] 'shared folders' so it appears to be a win7 'problem' and nothing to do with Roberts. However, the fact that the radio throws up a message 'unauthorised' which is not defined in the manual is a Roberts problem. :lesson: I am used to computers and understand how they work but God help lesser mortals facing these problems. [I still have no idea what 'unauthorised' is refering to so it is treated as a software bug]. :devil: My latest thought on this is that although the Radio finds all 'shared' folders on all drives it is only programmed to look into the 'My Music' folder.

Also it now appears that the 'default' display for the password is six stars no matter what has been entered - strange but true. :facepalm:

I can see many folks having problems with this so if I get to the bottom of it I'll post a guide to setting it up.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

CES 2023 Round Up: New TV Lineups for 2023 from LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Hisense & TCL
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom