Roberts Radio RS1 wi-fi music streaming adaptor - setup

dogfonos

Would very much appreciate guidance on setting up my recently acquired Roberts Radio RS1 wi-fi music streamer:

Bit of Deja vu going on here. Had similar difficulties setting up a Google Chromecast Audio:

Anyway, according to the RS1 instruction manual, I need to use the associated app: UNDOK. Trouble is, I can't download the current version of UNDOK onto my old Android tablet (running OS 4.2.2) - even though my tablet should, in theory, be compatible (I get an "incompatible" error message) - so I tried a couple of earlier versions available on the ApkPure website. I chose versions that were, allegedly, compatible with Android OS 4.0.x but they didn't download either. I didn't get an 'incompatible' error message, the screen message said 'downloading...' but the downloads just went on forever (>30 mins each) so I gave up. Checked the tablet's 'downloaded apps' folder afterwards and they weren't present.

Question is: Are there other reasons that might prevent a download?

And no, I don't have a smart 'phone.

Also, the UNDOK app seems to be of very poor quality, according to recent reviews (hardware let down by poor software? What a surprise!). How could I go about finding an alternative app somewhere out there which might work, albeit with possible restricted functionality? Thanks in anticipation.

Jamie

Distinguished Member
I'm not familiar with the device but a cursory glance at the manual suggests once setup it functions as a standard DLNA device, it only needs the specific app to set it up initially. With that in mind could you perhaps borrow a suitable phone for the set up.

I can appreciate you not wanting a smart phone but it might be worth obtaining a cheap slightly older one, you could use it without a SIM as a remote device. There's several good bits of software on Android that would work well with the Roberts and your Chromecast audios if you still have them.

dogfonos

...once setup it functions as a standard DLNA device, it only needs the specific app to set it up initially.

That's as I understand it too.

borrow a suitable phone for the set up.
There's several good bits of software on Android that would work well with the Roberts and your Chromecast audios if you still have them.

But shouldn't I be able to use my tablet to do this? Most Android software that I would be interested in using specifies a 4.2.2 OS as a minimum. And if the very latest version of third-party software requires a newer Android OS, previous versions of the software are often available, as was the case when I set up my Chromecast Audio.

might be worth obtaining a cheap slightly older one, you could use it without a SIM as a remote device.

That's a possibility although, as mentioned, I purchased the tablet mainly for this purpose.

Jamie

Distinguished Member
I've no idea, I've not run an Android version as old as that for a long time, I'm not entirely surprised such an old Android is causing issues. What sort of tablet is it?

RBZ5416

Distinguished Member
What sort of tablet is it?
1598466924527.png

The predecessor to Undok was ConnectR. No idea if that will do the job but maybe see if you can find an APK for that. But Jelly Bean is over seven years old, time to upgrade.

Last edited:

dogfonos

...my old Android tablet (running OS 4.2.2)...
Sorry, wrong version. I'm getting my Jelly Beans confused with my KitKats. The Android OS version is 4.4.2. which is still almost seven years old even though I purchased the tablet about 5 years ago. Whilst I'm hardly an eco-warrior, I am a reluctant consumer therefore I don't intend to 'recycle' (a misnomer if ever there was one) the old tablet and buy new anytime soon. If I could be reasonably certain of being able to upgrade the OS (root or whatever), I would, but having read up on the subject, that's not the case so I'm going to make the best of my old tablet (an IRULU eXpro X1).

To my surprise, when I turned on the tablet this morning, the UNDOK app had actually downloaded successfully, despite the app not showing in the downloads folder when I turned the tablet off yesterday. Bizarre. I just don't understand the apparent randomness of OS's - although it could be due to my lack of understanding.

So I installed UNDOK (an older version) and fired it up today and, on the surface of it, it seems to work. However, I still haven't been able to setup the Roberts RS1 wirelessly. The RS1 is recognised by the UNDOK app but it refuses to connect to my home network, using either the WPS connection method or the WiFi password method. However, it does connect using the cabled Ethernet connection and the app works reasonably well (it's a very basic app). Will re-visit the wireless connection again when my blood pressure returns to normal.

Many thanks to you both for your input. Appreciated.

RBZ5416

Distinguished Member
I had similar connectivity issue with the Goodmans Module. If your router is dual band 2.4/5GHz it may be worth making sure that both the tablet & phone are connecting to the same band.

dogfonos

I had similar connectivity issue with the Goodmans Module. If your router is dual band 2.4/5GHz it may be worth making sure that both the tablet & phone are connecting to the same band.

I managed to connect the Roberts RS1 to my home network wirelessly today. I couldn't do this using the UNDOK app alone (though whether it's do-able is anyone's guess) so I used my PC to visit the RS1's IP address and that had more settings than the basic UNDOK app. (or more than I managed to find on the UNDOK app). One of the settings allowed me to setup the wifi successfully - and easily. Probably not news to many of you, but one thing threw me initailly: the RS1 has two slightly different IP addresses. One when used wirelessley and another when connected via Ethernet cable.

Having played around with the RS1, using an old version of the UNDOK app (v 3.3.3) today, I'm actually quite impressed. It appears a lot of users are having problems with later versions of the UNDOK app but this version works fine - at the moment. It's very responsive, has a clean interface and it's simple to locate music files on my PC, NAS and USB memory stick (plugged in to the RS1). The Internet radio function works a treat too. I don't have Spotify premium and haven't bothered with the multi-room feature though these are options in the UNDOK app settings. One should bear in mind that these comments are based on just a couple of days usage.

Haven't fed the RS1 analogue line output into my main music setup, just into 2.1 powered PC speakers, but even so, the sound quality isn't half bad (very low level of background noise). It would require a far better setup than my PC speakers to properly assess the sound quality. Bit disappointed with the optical digital output when fed into my DAC (FiiO D3) - constant background hum. Seems like a ground loop problem between FiiO DAC and the PC speakers- but this won't be the setup I'll be using with the RS1 so no big deal.

Overall, for the way I intend to use music streaming, I'm more impressed with the Roberts RS1 than I am with my Google Chromecast Audio. The RS1 is more versatile and is still available for £14.95. Bargain (caveat: I've only used it for two days and these very cheap streamers can be unreliable).

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom