1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Robert Whyte of Glasgow.

Discussion in 'TVs' started by JIT, May 3, 2002.

1. JIT

JIT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I have read some complaints about this shop's service and would just like to hear some more opinions about them as I am thinking about buying from the shop. Since I live in Glasgow and their prices are OK I think this might be a good choice.

2. johnski

johnski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've seen the complaints as well,should try to get JL in the buchanan galleries to price match robert whyte,should have no problems as they should price match a shop thats about 2 miles from them.Depending on what tv you're after you might get a good deal and you'll have JL good service to rely on.

johnski

3. Pigwhistler

Pigwhistler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Well I've just had a bit of a saga with them which i'll relate here and you can make your own mind up.
    At beginning of april i ordered a tosh 40pw13 from RW over the web, the cash (£1200 approx) was taken from my account that day. About a week later i got a helpfull call from a lady there who explained that the 40pw13 was discontinued and would i like to order something else - she recommended the 42pw23 but was unable to provide any info - i provisionally booked this while i tried to find some info out, gave up after phoning toshiba UK and they knew nothing about the model, i instead opted to go upmarket to the 42wh18. That same day i got a call from toshiba saying they were ok to deliver on the monday (this was a friday) - i duly took a day off work and awaited delivery.
    Sadly the tv never turned up - RW's phone lines were down (genuine error) and tosh claimed the order had never been made (despite someone phoning me from tosh to tell me it would be delivered). I don't blame RW for Tosh's mix up here though.
    Got back onto RW and spoke to 3 or 4 people who promised to call me back and never did. I eventually found that the person who had taken my changed order for the 42wh18 didnt do anything else with it - so it was never ordered - this was held out by the fact the difference (some £300) had never been charged to my credit card.
    The order was duly put through again but numerous calls to confirm the difference due were met by unreturned callbacks. I ended up cancelling on the friday.
    It then took RW 10 days to refund my initial £1200 after having to call 4 times and threaten to get my CC company onto them. I recieved this money back this week.
    And to cap matters to show how stupidly unlucky i am - the day i cancelled the tv i got home from work to find a letter from tosh saying they would be delivering the following tuesday. - DOH!

I'm a very forgiving sort, and I can understand the mix up on the delivery (which wasted one of my few days leave left this year) was probably down to toshiba and not RW. I can sort of forgive them taking the cash on the first day then waiting a week to inform me that the tv was no longer available (again probably down to Tosh). I was reasonably happy with the salesgirl Anne Marie, who did call me back a number of times, though equally didn not call back on a couple of occasions.
    So whether my saga was bad luck or bad customer service is open to interpretation really, but I dont think i'd order from them again after that - taking so long to refund my money was pretty unforgivable - after all - I still needed the cash to get a telly!

One thing i will say - is when you phone RW - always go through to the sales dept as any other department is just an answerphone that "promises" to call you back - i never managed to get through to the "customer service" dept, but there was always someone in sales to speak to.