Robert Whyte Ltd

macdaddy

Established Member
Reaction score
So I found what I wanted at Robert Whyte Ltd - they had the best price.

I ordered on line last weekend and then to my despair found some quite negative information on them. Needless to say after having paid a couple of grand on line I was worried that I'd made a massive mistake!

Spoke to them on Monday (after having to leave a message) and arranged delivery for today. Called again yesterday to hear a message that they were closed for lunch (who closes for lunch these days??!!!!)
Called them later just to confirm delivery as I was taking a day off work.

As promised two very nice blokes delivered my TV today on time and very helpfully brought it into the living room. A couple of hours later TV is now wall mounted and running beautifully!

Kudos therefore to Robert Whyte Ltd - I'd definitely recommend them.

Cheers
MacDaddy

Got my TV from them too - top service and a fab price :)

You'll find negative feedback on every retailer, indeed business, if you look hard enough IMO :)

An update!

The screen is buzzing (badly) I can't imagine getting used to it, much as I've tried.

All I'll say is their after sales service I'm experiencing isn't great..........

Last edited:
Hi im thinking of buying from them how did they resolve your problem and did you get a 5year warranty as part of package and how does it work. Thanks

If you bought online, get a replacement.

The long distance selling regulations say you can return items if you believe there is a problem with it. Different for DVDs and CDs though I should think.

anotheruser said:
If you bought online, get a replacement.

The long distance selling regulations say you can return items if you believe there is a problem with it. Different for DVDs and CDs though I should think.

The OP is well outside the period of time for an automatic replacement...I believe it's 7 days under the distance selling rules whereby you can return it for whatever reason.

I too bought my E6500 Plasma from Robert Whyte they gave an excellent service and a price that was £300 cheaper then anywhere else at the time... plus a Free 5 year warranty.. very good.

Hello all,

So has anyone purchased a TV from either of the above websites before?
If so, what are they like?

Thanks in advance :)

From past experience they are great until the order is placed, as soon as something goes wrong they are terrible & tbh I can't still believe they are in business.

Robert Whyte always offer a competitive price & usually deliver on time, but if you have any issues with the TV they are terrible to deal with.

I would never purchase from them again & would rather pay more from retailers who deliver a good after sale service.

aandpwoodley said:
Robert Whyte always offer a competitive price & usually deliver on time, but if you have any issues with the TV they are terrible to deal with.

I would never purchase from them again & would rather pay more from retailers who deliver a good after sale service.

That's what I was worried about. I didn't want to purchase a TV that would possibly go wrong and have trouble resolving it with them.

Thanks mate

I bought a TV from Robert Whyte 4 years ago with a 5 year warranty.
It has gone faulty and they are refusing to fix it as they say it will cost more than the TV is worth. I have been offered £160 towards a trade in or £120 cash settlement......this for a £900 TV with a year and a half of warranty left!!! :mad:

I am currently fighting this and will update how I get on but I will say so far their after sales service is nothing short of disgusting!!! :mad:

What are the terms of the warranty? Who is the warranty with - RW or D&G or similar? Taking account of depreciation is generally normal. Don't typically get new for old. Can you demand they fix it?

One question - if you bought it 4 years ago with a 5 year warranty, how do you have 18 months left? With an extended warranty, they start at day 1, you don't get the manufacturer's 1 year warranty too

Good luck :)

Last edited:
I would have thought a 5 year extended warranty is actually 1 years manufactures warranty (are they legally obliged to offer this?) and 4 years extended warranty.

Curly

What are the terms of the warranty? Who is the warranty with - RW or D&G or similar? Taking account of depreciation is generally normal. Don't typically get new for old. Can you demand they fix it?

One question - if you bought it 4 years ago with a 5 year warranty, how do you have 18 months left? With an extended warranty, they start at day 1, you don't get the manufacturer's 1 year warranty too

Good luck :)

Apologies that was a typo by me :facepalm: There is 6 months left :laugh:
I know depreciation is normal but going from £ 900 to £ 160??!!
I can't buy a similar TV for £160 you would be looking at £400 minimum.
So far they are refusing to fix it as it will cost £538 so I am in the middle of trying to come to some kind of agreement on a money off deal on a new TV.
I was given no terms and conditions when I first bought the TV. Was only told it would be repaired or replaced my the RW salesman when I bought it.
I received a call from the manager on Friday to say he was still waiting to see his boss to see what deal he could offer me. I'll post on here as soon as I hear from him to let you know whether we have been able to get a compromise to suit both parties. Fingers crossed :thumbsup:

Apologies that was a typo by me :facepalm: There is 6 months left :laugh:
I know depreciation is normal but going from £ 900 to £ 160??!!
I can't buy a similar TV for £160 you would be looking at £400 minimum.
So far they are refusing to fix it as it will cost £538 so I am in the middle of trying to come to some kind of agreement on a money off deal on a new TV.
I was given no terms and conditions when I first bought the TV. Was only told it would be repaired or replaced my the RW salesman when I bought it.
I received a call from the manager on Friday to say he was still waiting to see his boss to see what deal he could offer me. I'll post on here as soon as I hear from him to let you know whether we have been able to get a compromise to suit both parties. Fingers crossed :thumbsup:

Don't hold your breath, they are a terrible company to deal with as soon as something goes wrong.

here is an example how jl worked out depreciation costs
i read this somewhere

"If the TV is beyond repair, John Lewis may replace the TV with equivalent spec not price! I.e. four years ago a 100Hz HD Ready TV would have been top of the range, and today the replacement would be almost entry level!

John Lewis may say that there isn’t an equivalent model so a refund will apply, a partial refund! Calculated on a six year basis you would divide the price of the TV by six, then times that sum by the years left on the warranty.
Example – £900 TV beyond repair after two years, 900/6 = 150, 150x4 (years remaining) = 600, a £600 refund will be given!"

Panasonic independant retailers warranty e.g. panasonic store give you full manufacturers warranty parts, labour call out and will replace with genuine like for like.

But you may not want a panasonic i think sony offer similar type of warranty.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom