Robert Whyte Ltd: To buy from or not to buy from

adamchow

hey chaps,

I'm currently in the market for a LE46M87BDX with some warranty. I see Robert Whyte Ltd do a good deal although I'm a bit wary of internet companies especially so far in Glasgow (I live in London).

My question is has anyone dealt with them before? What were they like?

Do they have a good reputation?

Also if you developed a fault with your tv within the 5 year warranty period, how good were they in dealing with your problem (i.e. were they trying to fob you off or very helpful?)?

Your input is much appreciated. :)

P.S. Sorry for the noobness

MrMav11

Me too!

what does the warranty state about fixing a fault?

Do you have to send the set back to them in Glasgow or is it all on site? who pays shipping if it has to go back?

cheers

R

Raven1907

having run a search on this forum there are far more negative after sales experiences taen positive.

i'm not risking it.

Crafty

just a question.. goes for any retailer..

you buy the TV, spend extra on warranty and the company disappear into the ether - is the warranty direct with the retailer or a 3rd party ?

If its direct with the retailer IMHO it aint worth nothing, unless they are very established (JL for example).

carling

just a question.. goes for any retailer..

you buy the TV, spend extra on warranty and the company disappear into the ether - is the warranty direct with the retailer or a 3rd party ?

Ask the retailer for the name and address of the insurance company backing/admistering the warranty. When Miller Bros went bust all their warranties were unaffected. The warranty is still there and will pay for any repairs.

When Tempo went bust their most recent warranties, that they just did themselves, went with them.

There is a half way method. Retailers can underwrite the guaranties themselves in a "Ring Fenced" account. If they go bust the creditors cannot touch the money, it can only be spent on customer repairs. Though if the money runs out that's it, unlike an independent insurance company.

The retailers themselves cannot touch the ring fenced money or spend it on anything else. Tempo's cover used to be ring fenced but they quietly changed this a couple of years before going under so anyone before that date was okay, anyone after was screwed since they'd spent all the money.

The problem is many sales staff may not know the exact situation and/or may just say anything to get your money. Miller Bros used to use an independant insurance company but changed to a ring fenced account many years ago. Sales staff who asked "Is it still independantly underwritten?" (As this was a big selling point of the old cover) were just told "It's safe, take our word for it"
Millers then sold the ring fenced account a few years later so it became an independant warranty.

If you're thinking of buying a warranty ask for a leaflet showing the name and address of the company backing the cover or make sure you get a written policy there and then with those details. Key point is "Backed" or "Provided".
If it says "Administered" then it may just be a company administering a ring fenced or non ring fenced account on behalf of the retailer and the money may disappear or run out.

The opposite can also happen. Many, many, years ago the independent insurance company Miller Bros used went bust! Miller Bros, having given all the policy money to them decided to honour all the claims out of their own pocket. Legaly they could have refused but they paid them to keep their customers happy.

kwan88

Standard Member
I have just ordered the M87 and APX 50 stand and from the email I have received the cover does include parts, labour and collection. Plus after talking to Brian the price dropped th £ 1139. The cover is with Axa insurance, which is a well known company. Obviously I am in Slough and have not received the LCD yet so currently I think RWL are excellent but things could change!

Regards.

MrMav11

I phoned them a while go and wasnt impressed by the bloke who answered tried to get a deal and he wasnt intersted at all.

Also not sure who they were, and about the return costs of the TV broke

cammy

hey chaps,

I'm currently in the market for a LE46M87BDX with some warranty. I see Robert Whyte Ltd do a good deal although I'm a bit wary of internet companies especially so far in Glasgow (I live in London).

Also if you developed a fault with your tv within the 5 year warranty period, how good were they in dealing with your problem (i.e. were they trying to fob you off or very helpful?)?

i bought a sony 46x2000 from r.w. in glasgow back in november.after about a week i felt that i had made a mistake buying an lcd as i wasn't happy with the picture.

cammy

hey chaps,

i bought a sony 46x2000 from r.w. in glasgow back in november.after about a week i felt that i had made a mistake buying an lcd as i wasn't happy with the picture.
i then asked them if could swap it for a plasma.they said no problem just bring it up.anytime i had a query they were always very helpful and courteous.

on the subject of the warranty if your tv has a fault a courier will pick it up and deliver it back.you pay the shipping costs.
i actually decided to keep the 46x2000 and i'm glad i did as it's such a good tv.i think it was just adjusting to an lcd picture.

MrMav11

on the subject of the warranty if your tv has a fault a courier will pick it up and deliver it back.you pay the shipping costs.

This will cost a lot of money to go back and forwards then!! I ask Empire Direct about this and I am covered for this, ie they pay which is better. If you lived in the south and had to post back to r.w. in Scotland it would cost a fortune!!

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung QN95B 4K QLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom