1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Robert Whyte Ltd are refusing to collect my faulty television!!

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by jon smith, Jun 12, 2002.

1. jon smith

jon smith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +137
    A long story this, but i'll keep it as simple as possible. I purchased a Samsung SP-43J6HD rear projection set from Robert Whyte Ltd on the 14th June 2001. Less than 90 days after I received the set, it developed serious problems.

After lengthy (delayed) discussions with Robert Whyte Ltd I finally had the set replaced with a Panasonic 42 incher which arrived on the 28th Feb. This set developed faults within 1 hour. So it was packaged back up and I started using the Samsung again.

Robert Whyte finally collected the Panasonic 3 weeks ago, on the 5th attempt by the courier (who had refused to take it the first 3 times and didn't turn up on the 4th).

I told Robert Whyte I would be purchasing a set from elsewhere (there's only so much someone can take) and pursuing a refund.

I now have a nice new Toshiba from elsewhere, but Robert Whyte won't give me a refund on the Panny until they have the Samsung back... But of course, they are refusing to collect the Samsung. Now as far as i'm aware, under the Sale Of Goods Act 1979 they have to collect faulty items (especially large faulty items).

I really am quite flabbershocked by the whole year long affair.

:devil:

2. js

js

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Its disgraceful that companies act in this way.
    Although where I work is nothing to do with retail we bend over backwards for our customers and I cannot understand the mentality of these companies. When you spend serious cash on a TV you expect some level of service at least.

I hope this gets resolved and please let us know how things go.
    I assume you are very happy with the Tosh?

3. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Take a visit to the small claims website....everything you need is on there and it can all be done fairly quickly.

4. jon smith

jon smith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +137
    I have adapted the necessary letter from the trading standards website and will send today recorded delivery (have also copied the letter to the local trading standards in Glasgow).

The Tosh seems very nice (I actually got a 43 inch 4:3 tosh after the hassle with both the widescreen sets). Purchased from Digital Direct who were very friendly on the phone, the set arrived in 48 horus and even the couriers (yes, couriers - not just 1 guy) were particularly helpful and friendly. Digital Direct I would highly recommend.

5. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  6. beowulf

beowulf
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    i bought a sony from robert whyte 3 years ago - loadsa hassle

wont use them again !

john lewis / harrods are good.

hi-spek - ok too..

7. SimonG

SimonG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Digital Direct are good? Website address, the words are a bit too common for Google to turn one up.

8. jon smith

jon smith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +137
    Digital Direct were excellent, but they don't have a website. You need to ring them on 01204 414101. The 43VJ1 set me back £1150 including delivery (but not with stand) by proper couriers (which was as cheap as anywhere else I tried and with excellent customer service).

9. simon1

simon1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Digital Direct = Sound & Vision?

Jon Smith quoted "Digital Direct were excellent"

I'm sure they were excellent in taking your hard earned money off you!

That's not the area where a retailer needs to be 'excellent', the other areas quite often are not excellent, such as providing a decent level of AFTER SALES CARE.

I hope this set doesn't go wrong, I really do.

10. beowulf

beowulf
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    I cant wait for my philips to pack up - local skip here i come !

11. jon smith

jon smith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +137
    Calm down fella.

Digital Direct were excellent at delivery (not just taking my money). For me, decent delivery by 2 couriers is a very key thing when a RPTV is involved, so yes they were excellent. I stated this above. They took my money and they delivered when they said they would, for a lot of etailers this would be a leap to far.

No need to get angry about it.

PS: on the topic above. Another letter from Robert Whyte today, another comment about taking legal action against me. Likely will go see a solicitor next week as the common sense angle doesn't seem to be getting me anywhere.

12. beowulf

beowulf
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    they are VERY foolish to behave like this , particularly with you detailing it as you go.. maybe you could ask them to look at this site - and explain to them the harm that their companies credibilty is taking ?

good luck.

i personally would not buy anything of a tv's magnitude via mail order EVER again..

13. jon smith

jon smith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +137
    I had a thread open when I had problems with them over the original Samsung - I advised them I had started a thread about it and their response was to threaten me with legal action.

So there you go, what can you.

14. Phil.LFC

Phil.LFC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
  15. beowulf

beowulf
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Well , I dont think they should get away with it. Isnt there some freedom of speech law in this country?

It really *******es me off !

16. simon1

simon1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Jon Smith, your comment asking me to calm down and not to get angry was not welcome.

I was simply trying to help you avoid the problems I have had. If you really think just because you have had something delivered quickly is excellent service, then you either have little experience in buying mail order/internet or you are just easily pleased.

I have been buying mail order for years, and have come to expect next day delivery as the norm, as have many other forum members.

17. jon smith

jon smith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +137
    Welcome or not, I do believe your first reply to be insulting in tone. I believe your intentions may have been to help, but this is not how it came across.

You say you have come to expect next day delivery from mail order/internet firms as the norm, but sadly this is not the case. There are numerous issues with companies not dispatching stock for weeks or months. Robert Whyte Ltd took 4 weeks to dispatch my first set from them and 3 weeks to dispatch the replacement.

All I stated was that Digital Direct were helpful on the phone when purchasing the set (sadly this is not the norm from mail order companies) and the set was delivered when promised by 2 excellent courier guys (also sadly not the norm from mail order companies). Digital Direct completed the first part of my experience with them very well and it was this I was stating. Many companies fail to do this, so why should I not commend them for this excellent service that has been provided. There may be problems in the future, but I will tackle them at the time.

Thanks to everyone for their comments, they have been helpful.

Simon1 - perhaps you should choose your words more carefully, so they don't come across as a personal attack.

18. Markster

Markster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think simons warning was quite innocent in light of the well known bad reputation soundandvision have, and really was not intended to offend you.

As per simons post they've been great at selling you the tv and am pleased you liked the delivery guys ;-), but as mentioned in this group and many others many times, when something goes wrong soundandvision are a problem.

I hope you get things sorted with robertwhyte.

Anyone noticed how both robertwhyte and soundandvision have started using other different company names?. In the case above digital direct
    Both these companies have really bad reputations I suppose these name changes are to try and get around this!!. Now where is that bargepole ;-)

19. simon1

simon1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Jon Smith, how you can view my recent postings as a personal attack is a mystery to me.

I think other readers, like Markster, will see my posting for what it was - friendly advice.

Thanks Markster.

20. beowulf

beowulf
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Yes , If theres ONE common enemy here - we know who that is !

Not the surfers on this board for starters !

21. MarkTaylor

MarkTaylor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +665
    All that is being said here is that there are three broad categories of mail-order/web dealers around.

Category 1 have trouble processing an order accurately, with stock problems, delivery problems and bad paper work.

Category 2 will handle all the pre-sales and delivery processes well, deliverying what you ordered when they say they will, but they are poor at handling problems that occur after the delivery.

Category 3 handle everything before and after the sale just as you would hope they would, collecting and replacing faulty merchandise promtly and without hassle.

Fortunately, Category 1 suppliers are getting less common, but there are still a few high profile examples of Category 2 around and as long as you get a good working product from them you'll never know that they are any different to Category 3 suppliers.

A few people have found to their cost that Category 2 is alive and well and living in certain parts of the UK.

Mark

22. jon smith

jon smith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +137
    Quick update... found somewhere cheap to send the TV back, so for £35 I bit the bullet.

After 3 weeks I got the refund from Robert Whyte for the £1660 they owed. The refund cheque arrived in a hand written envelope, no letter with it, no compliment slip, just the cheque.

:rolleyes:

23. beowulf

beowulf
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    ..that's customer care ...

24. Dr.Magus

Dr.Magus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I ordered my 32" Toshiba from TV & Digital Direct but when i set it up i noticed scratches on the screen. with one short phone this morning i'm getting a replacement on Saturday. Hopefully this one will have no problems but this company have been very helpful and i strongly recommend them to anyone willing to buy through mail order.

My problem is carting the bastard back down the stairs! not to mention carting the new one UPstairs!