Robbo's Lounge Project

Robbo456

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, just thought would share the progress of my lounge project. It's not going to be quick but I want to get it right and be able to buy the right stuff.

Current set up is Philips 42" LCD HD screen
Sony DAVS 880 all in one 5.1/DTS system
Sky+HD (just fitted)
PS3
Xbox 360

Lounge (excuse skyHD boxes and mess!)

DSC00143-vi.jpg

View of distance to sofas

DSC00144-vi.jpg

View from behind main sofa

DSC00145-vi.jpg

Setup

DSC00146-vi.jpg

Now I realise this is very basic compared to so
me of the mighty setups on here (great reading!) but for this size of room, my plans are more limited.

I intend to ditch the 880 and get a Denon 1909 and some Kefs or equivalent. I dont think i'll need to get a new DVD as can run it all off the PS3.

I'm intending to remove the fire (electric, mantle not bolted to the wall) and install everything there....or, as I'd really like to do, a floating wall with recessed alcoves, the Denon in the centre, Sky underneath, xbox and ps3 each side in their own alcoves all back lit with LEDs, then the Kefs mounted on the walls in the top corners facing down.

What are your thoughts? My worry is the tv will be to close to the sofa there. Accoustically, the room seems good for what i'd need, the tv wall is dot and dab drylined, so easily mounted. But unsure whether to take false wall to ceiling, or to slope it up to the coving.

Your thoughts oh mighty ones :D

Last edited by a moderator:
For what it's worth, I have a very similar layout and plan for my lounge. I say that, but it's been a plan for months now and I've only got as far as removing the fire/fireplace!

In my setup, the floating wall will be going floor to ceiling, but will be quite shallow - about 10-12cm. I was originally intending for my false wall to host a couple of shelves for components but have opted to reposition these towards the corner of the room on a hifi stand. The wall just cater for the center, left and right speakers and TV. A single HDMI cable will deliver my sources via the reciever.

Obviously your needs will probably differ. As for proximity of your TV to the sofa, I guess it depends on the width of your proposed floating wall in relation to the fireplace and how deep the wall will be...

Best of luck with the project.
Paul

Sounds good fella, and a good idea actually, I just wanted to create recessed alcoves with lights, but I fear having the components in will make it too deep and then bring the tv too close. Good luck with yours, get some pics up! :smashin:

Well things might actually start happening now! :clap:

I have the money for the amp, bracket and materials, just a bit short for the speakers at mo.

Now can someone point me to the best place to get a Denon 1909? :D

I'm aiming for Kefs to go with these, any particular model people would recommend or avoid?

Cheers and beers

When you remove the fireplace and mantle let us please suggest that you consider possibility of installing a motorized or pull down Cinema sized screen and ceiling mounting of shelf mounting a front projector.

We bought a 56in HD TV with the thought that it would give us a genuine Cinema in the Home experience but while it is a VERY nice TV we learned that a screen that size just doesn't give those watching that "WOW this is just like being at the Cinema!" feeling/experience.

We weren't sure if projection would fit into our size space but even with just a 11 1/2 foot lens-to-screen distance we still get a near 10 ft. diagonal image and found that, indeed, Cinema in the Home was achieved. We are bargain hunters and conservative with our cash and were able to find and install projector and screen for much less than we thought.

My wife is amused as I continue to work through our very large dvd collection wanting to see all our collection on the Cinema screen - we bought the projector almost two years ago and I still force her to let me dim the lights almost every day so I can go WOW over some old movie (or a new one) and I am still amazed that I can sit right there in our little house and enjoy a Cinema experience there.

Anyway, our personal experience causes us to suggest you think about stepping to true Cinema in the Home which - in our opinion, no TV on the consumer market today can provide.

Last edited:
Never saw that reply, thanks, I have considered it, and will certainly allow for it. It is bang on 10ft straight to my sofa from screen.

A little bit of progress, the fire is gone, and the tv is mounted on the wall....

Thanks to avs for a barginous and well made mount!

DSC00229-vi.jpg

DSC00230-vi.jpg

DSC00231-vi.jpg

Tv seems so much brighter than where it was, a much more immersing experience.

I am undecided still as to whether I will build a false chimney deep enough for amp etc or to have a seperate rack next to the black chair, and just do a shallow chimney with recesses for speaker......

Mmmm, low level like that looks good. Personally I like the look you have - nice and clean. I would put the components in a nice unit underneath (where they are now), and just tidy it all up - wall mount speakers and hide all the cables in wall etc.

Rich

Yeah I am wondering that actually, just like the look of the alcoves that are lit with LEDs etc.

Hopefully the tv is still on the wall when I get home!

Last edited by a moderator:
:clap:

About to order

Denon AVR 1909 and KEF KHT3005se, very exciting!

When you remove the fireplace and mantle let us please suggest that you consider possibility of installing a motorized or pull down Cinema sized screen and ceiling mounting of shelf mounting a front projector.

We bought a 56in HD TV with the thought that it would give us a genuine Cinema in the Home experience but while it is a VERY nice TV we learned that a screen that size just doesn't give those watching that "WOW this is just like being at the Cinema!" feeling/experience.

We weren't sure if projection would fit into our size space but even with just a 11 1/2 foot lens-to-screen distance we still get a near 10 ft. diagonal image and found that, indeed, Cinema in the Home was achieved. We are bargain hunters and conservative with our cash and were able to find and install projector and screen for much less than we thought.

My wife is amused as I continue to work through our very large dvd collection wanting to see all our collection on the Cinema screen - we bought the projector almost two years ago and I still force her to let me dim the lights almost every day so I can go WOW over some old movie (or a new one) and I am still amazed that I can sit right there in our little house and enjoy a Cinema experience there.

Anyway, our personal experience causes us to suggest you think about stepping to true Cinema in the Home which - in our opinion, no TV on the consumer market today can provide.

you really are pushing the PJs arent you buoyo. i've seen you post that statement in multiple threads recently! ;)

Well, things are moving forward at great cost to my wallet!

Somehow ended up in ikea last night buying this lot:

IKEA | CD & DVD storage | CD & DVD furniture | BERTBY | Glass-door wall cabinet

Led changing colour lights are: Dioder multicolour light strips for between cabinets and behind tv.

IKEA | Lighting | Furniture lighting | DIODER | Lighting strip

Hoping for this look on the back wall, but on a red wall with black cabinets.

p1010031gx0.jpg

Wow!:eek: That DVD storage looks great!:thumbsup: And the dioder's really add to it. Wish I had enough floor space for DVD/BD storage.:( I haven't found any decent wall mounted solutions.:(

Yeah I thought the same! Saw it on a thread on pistonheads.com

Have some pics of the cabinets i'm assembling and the exciting bit of my Denon 1909 and KEF 3005SE arriving and being opened. :arty:

Well a few more pics here, excuse the mess etc, is chaos at the moment.

This is the wall where the wall mounted Ikea cabinets (can see mid assembly) on the left will be. 3 together, backlit.

Temp106-vi.jpg

The new toys arrive, by this point Im am as excited as a puppy with two peckers, and boring the other half about how great they are etc

Temp095-vi.jpg

Ooo nicely packed....

Temp100-vi.jpg

Mmmmm yummy!

Temp103-vi.jpg

The amp, larger than what I remember, but looks great. Dont worry, the SkyHD will not sit on top like that when in use, the amp isn't even wired up yet.

Temp104-vi.jpg

Hmmmm this will be fun!

Temp096-vi.jpg

Will have some more pics after weekend and hopefully a bit more progress! :thumbsup:

The mess gets worse and worse.......

Mounted the speakers, I think they are in good positions, the centre speaker will be on the wall once wires are chased in etc.

All wires will obviously be recessed for speakers etc.

Temp107-vi.jpg

Rears, hard to take a picture of...

Temp108-vi.jpg

View from right side, imagine if you will a tidy room!

Temp109-vi.jpg

Thump thump...

Temp110-vi.jpg

Can just gauge the distance of speakers in this pic

Temp112-vi.jpg

Did a trial run last night, sounded simply amazing. Just need to figure out how to get sound in surround for SkyHD! :rolleyes:

Did a trial run last night, sounded simply amazing. Just need to figure out how to get sound in surround for SkyHD! :rolleyes:

I take it that you have the SkyHD connected via HDMI?
If so, if you dont already know, SkyHD only carries stereo thru HDMI, so you have to use optical aswell.
Once you have connected it up via HDMI AND optical, you have to then set up the amp to use both.
On my Onkyo, (and on my previous Pio amp), i have to press the digital input select button on the front of the amp, which will cycle thru all the sound inputs available.

Thanks, I thought that was the case. :thumbsup:

Can I just set one of the quick channels to use say HDMI 1 for sky then optical 1 for sound?

Thanks, I thought that was the case. :thumbsup:

Can I just set one of the quick channels to use say HDMI 1 for sky then optical 1 for sound?

Im not familiar with the workings of your amp, but what i have to do is,

Plug the Sky box into HDMI 1 and the Optical into Optical 1, then go into the input setup menu and configure them to work together, the problem MAY arrise where the amp will automatically select what it considers the best input to use for sound, this is normally the HDMI input, if this happens you will have to do what i posted in my previous post.

Neil

Thanks, will have a look! Got a long boring day at work, so will see if can read through a very confusing manual!

I have just had a look at the on-line manual for the 1909, and on page 41 it looks like it can be done through the set-up menu.

Thanks, must be a different manual online, page 41 on mine is for the Audussey settings.

Page 32 looks like it could be it for input settings, but the manual is not very clear! :thumbsdow

Well, I've been a busy boy today, albeit with a hangover. But this wall has gone from the mess above to:

55002-vi.jpg

With some dvd's, LEDs and different colours....

55003-vi.jpg

55004-vi.jpg

55006-vi.jpg

Hope you like! I'm well chuffed :D

Cheers.

Fantastic storage there.:thumbsup: I'm looking a decent and attractive storage solution for my discs, but can't find anything wall-mountable that I like yet.:(

Cheers :)

The cabinets are about £50 each, then £45 for the leds then £13 for the 3 lights at the top.

Each cabinet holds 140 dvds :thumbsup:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom