Question Roaming in the EU from UK issue. Only knowledgeable techs should read this - complex issue.

I am sorry that you have the same issue, but feel better that it's not just me. The update was some time between 12th April and 14th May 2019 (the dates between returning to the UK and being abroad again.
Hi again,
Just a thought. You said that none of your SIMS worked in the Nokia. Were they all Plusnet?
Only mentioning this because a Tesco mobile (O2) SIM did actually work in my Nokia.

Just to add to this thread. I have a Nokia 3.1, running Android 9, wife has Huawei running Android 8. Live in UK and both on Tesco mobile contracts. Both phones worked fine on holiday in France during July, data received throughout France at 4G.

On our next holiday in France starting October 18th, my Nokia stopped data roaming at Calais. Wife's phone continued to work ok.

I called Tesco and Nokia helplines. Tried various APN settings, reset phone network settings, manually selecting operator etc without success. The only thought I had was when I shut the phone down, it completed a security update (dated 5th October). I don't think anything else changed. I tried my sim in my old Alcatel phone and data roaming worked fine. I didn't try wife's sim in my phone.

Nokia also gave me instructions to start in 'safe' mode and try to clear the memory including removing the latest update. I couldn't work out how to remove the update as the required option wasn't available.

Back in the UK and data is working fine. Hopefully after recent Android security updates it will be ok next year in France. But I'll carry a spare phone just in case. The common factor seems to be Nokia.

Last edited:
For the information of "billwin" and "NigelStar". On the advice of Nokia Customer Care, my phone was sent to Hungary as it was still under guarantee.
It has just been returned and the service comment was as follows:-
"Your phone had a software fault which has been resolved through a Software update. You may update the software in your device directly ensuring you have the latest available"

To my knowledge I already had the latest available software update. In the interim I bought another brand of phone and have gifted the returned Nokia to my daughter. Phone came back in a factory reset condition. I won't know if the problem has been solved until she next goes abroad.
Hope that helps if only a little.

Thanks 'barnie1528', I guess a factory reset may well fix mine but I suspect it will put it back to Android 8 as that is how it came originally. The update to Android 9 gave much improved battery life so I'm loathe to go back in time. It also loaded a new security patch earlier in December so may have cured itself. I'll wait and see next July in France.

When I say a factory reset, I meant that it was setting up phone from new. I have checked and it is running Android 9. Pity there wasn't a means for user to do software update. In all the emails back and forth with Nokia support, there was never a suggestion that I had the means to this myself. Hope your security patch works.

I would not bother. I doubt it is Android 9. Perhaps my Nokia is the anomaly but I've taken it all the way around the world. But I don't use an MVNO I use a direct provider.

Just to report the same ongoing fault with the Nokia 3.1:

My wife and I both have Nokia 3.1s, updated to Android 9 & all security patches. We both lost data roaming in the EU (home is UK) in about May 2019 - previous to that they had roamed perfectly.

On my phone I have had 3 long phone calls with Tesco (the provider), and an online chat with Nokia. No progress. No data roaming in France or the Netherlands, though voice & SMS function abroad. No problems when at home.

To summarise what I have tried (and yes - I do know how to enable data roaming when abroad) with total failure even though I get perfect 4g/3g when at home. Some of these are clearly unnecessary for a phone that gets mobile data at home - but I did them anyway:
- restart phone
- flight mode on/off
- reset Wifi, Mobile & Bluetooth
- manually select network
- retype and select APN as provided by Tesco
- SIM out, wait, polish SIM, SIM in
- put in French SIM while in France - perfect 4g; this is not roaming but shows that the phone understands French frequencies etc
- put my SIM in a friend's Samsung phone when abroad - perfect roaming 4g
- put friend's SIM (that roamed perfectly from his Samsung phone when abroad) in my phone while abroad -> no mobile data
- Tesco did some sort of account reset that required me to restart the phone -> still no data roaming. For each phone call they checked that I had not exceeded data abroad limits.
- Factory reset phone and no apps reinstalled: no data roaming.

The SIM status page when abroad shows everything normal for Service Status, Signal Strength, Mobile voice 4g, Mobile data 4g, Roaming BUT Mobile Network State shows 'Disconnected' (this is 'Connected' at home).

Logically this looks like some sort of OS bug, installed sometime about May 2019.

Any further ideas would be appreciated. If this were a Linux computer I'd run a lot of diagnostics - but I have no idea how to do this on Android.

I know it's an old post but this is my first return to France since last posted in October. My Nokia 3.1 worked fine on return to UK, has had many updates since then so was hoping this might sort the roaming problem.

But, enter France and data roaming ceased. Put my sim in my old Alcatel and data roaming is ok, so that's what I'm using while on holiday.

Going to try total reset back to original build when back in UK.

I noticed your post elsewhere. And it seems that you aren’t the only one and others have similar problems all around the world.

Most peculiar as my Nokia 7.1 is fine world wide, bought it sim free.

Haven’t seen anything to suggest a solution. I’d suggest that if it’s still in warranty to return it as faulty. And if not give up on it and get something else to stop the frustration.

Success! Carried out a factory reset on the Nokia, rechecked and reset the APN settings and 4G roaming burst back into life.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom