Roadkill Limited Series (BBC) Blu-ray Review & Comments

Evinger

Thanks for the Review Cas. Another that I hope makes it to Prime at some point.

Thinking back to Hugh Laurie in his Blackadder Days, I would never have imagined that he would become such an excellent "straight" Actor, especially as a Bad Guy (The Night Manager, & to a lesser extent House, for example). But glad that ability to throw in a witty, totally cutting, statement is still there.

Jokerr

This was such a boring disappointment. 2/10 from me. Wasted opportunity considering the Cast.

encaser

It was so crammed with supposedly big plots and twists to the point of being, at times, oblique and a little empty on result.
If a second series materialises, you are, however, pretty well set up for where things appear to be going in a very woke underbelly of a tale. Or is it? On the one hand, he appears to be doing the right thing in both an old and new world sense but then on the other, he seems so single-mindedly corrupt that nothing truly gets beyond self-interest in his longer game. I can only imagine that, for example, women of a certain age weren't throwing their drawers at the screen but rather shoes for his affair story.
In short, typical Hugh-babes character territory. Noice.

HMHB

Distinguished Member
I expected so much more from this. It just fizzled out and became more like a boring soap opera which went nowhere.

This was such a boring disappointment. 2/10 from me. Wasted opportunity considering the Cast.
I missed the start of this, so watched some of the first episode, and it certainly didn't strike me as being a thrilling watch. Was gutted as I'll watch anything with Hugh Laurie in.

Hampy1972

Distinguished Member
Currently on iplayer, quick 4 eps, it's watchable... Laurie keeps the pace ticking along, Helen Mc is brilliant as PM.

6/10

Easy watch, not brilliant tho.

Steve Stifler

Another nice review to read thanks. A good vehicle for Laurie and a good watch. Not sure how it compares, storywise with The Undoing, which we enjoyed more with its twists. You mention the cancelled series of Chance. I really enjoyed this fight club meets antique roadshow, with a dollop of Frasier's dark side. Enjoyed the bunny boiler cop too. For me this was Ethan Suplee's best role, with great memorable one liners.

GT One

I looked forward to this series as I like these type of British political dramas when they are well made.
Road Kill was not among the better efforts that I have seen but Hugh Laurie certainly made the best of his role as the amoral government minister, even though the show is not binge worthy ( if you did not watch each episode weekly like I did) it kept my interest high enough to want to finish the whole first season, as I would presume that there is a possibility that there could be a season two of Road Kill, because there are some plot teasers at the end to suggest this.
The story arc looks written for Hugh Laurie's stoic almost comical style of acting even though Road Kill isn't supposed to be comical, Hugh has certain facial mannerisms which follow him from one film / TV project to another, just like Rowan Atkinson's Mr. Bean whose character appears subconsciously in more serious roles such as the 'Maigret' series in Rowan's case.
I liked seeing Iain De Caestecker again, I hope he will get a few more roles post Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.
I rate this series 8 out of 10.

SOUNDVISION

Thanks for the Review Cas. Another that I hope makes it to Prime at some point.

Thinking back to Hugh Laurie in his Blackadder Days, I would never have imagined that he would become such an excellent "straight" Actor, especially as a Bad Guy (The Night Manager, & to a lesser extent House, for example). But glad that ability to throw in a witty, totally cutting, statement is still there.
Why are you hoping it comes out on Prime, its free to watch on the BBC iplayer

Evinger

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES 2021 Special - Sony, LG, Panasonic, Samsung, TCL and Hisense TV news and more...
Top Bottom