Road Tax - Constant hikes?

RayM59

Established Member
Reaction score
My apologies if this has been done to death before, can someone explain why every time I receive my road tax renewal form the price has gone up again without any warning whatsoever?
My car is 10 yrs old, a Peugeot 206 2ltr diesel, it produces very low emissions, according to the manufacturer details of the time, yet it goes up by £5/10 each time it needs renewing, we are currently at £112.50 for 6 months and £205 for 12? :eek:
I just missed out on the cut off point for the new taxation rules in 2001 but the engines remained the same in newer models, those cars received tax cuts of around £50/60, (they were at time of purchase about £155pa). Ever since, I have been screwed with incessant rises without any reason being given, this is blatantly unfair and a total ripoff!!! :mad:
I live on the outskirts of the town centre and work in the town centre so my car is not needed for most of the time, only trips/visits etc, but is required!! I cannot afford a new one or take advantage of scrappage etc so am really stuck in this "catch 22" situation, need one but can barely afford the costs, cant sell it cos I cant afford the new one??
Anyone else noticed/suffering from this same situation, really does get my back up, pure greed and nothing else?? :mad::mad::mad:

My car is 10 yrs old, a Peugeot 206 2ltr diesel, it produces very low emissions, according to the manufacturer details of the time,

Co2 has nothing to do with your case I'm afraid.
Your car was registered before 1/3/01.
And it's over 1549cc
So it was £195.00 for last year.
And it's £205.00 for 2010/2011.

Just unfortunate timing in the age of the car, I'm afraid.
Then again, you could have taken advantage of scrappage where others couldn't.
They maybe thought that unfair.
So swings and roundabouts.

Last edited:
dont know what your complaining about mines £425 a year

Absolute joke this tax really because I pay the same as you on my 1.8 Turbo petrol Nissan that's 15 year old. If it's older than 10 might as well have a fuel guzzler, that's green isn't it :suicide:

Just unfortunate timing in the age of the car, I'm afraid.

You could say that, my old man decided to buy a new car the week after the scheme ended :rolleyes:

They maybe thought that unfair.
So swings and roundabouts.

Small erratum on my side, it's actually only just into it's "tenth year", as a result FZ, it could not be considered for scrappage until the end of this year it had to be "OVER" 10 to qualify!! :thumbsdow
Some manufacturers did make some last minute deals for cars over 8 yrs that would qualify for a similar scheme through their dealership's but like I said, I cant afford a new car scrappage or no?
If you guy's have to have a big car then a big tax demand is inevitable, unfair, sure is, but what do you expect with all this "green" hypocrisy flying about, have you seen any motoring benefit's from your money yet? :confused: No, and not likely too!! :mad:

the government should do away with the road tax and add it to fuel. then all high milage road users would get hammered and light users wouldnt!

martin

the government should do away with the road tax and add it to fuel. then all high milage road users would get hammered and light users wouldnt!

Yes, but road tax keeps otherwise unnecessary people in jobs, and its far too much of a money spinner for the government to do away with unfortunately.

Yes, but road tax keeps otherwise unnecessary people in jobs, and its far too much of a money spinner for the government to do away with unfortunately.

As is fuel duty, another rip off!! :thumbsdow
Sure em's comment on removing road tax and adding "too" fuel duty was considered at one point some years back but as you say pb, money spinner, you dont shoot the goose that lays the golden egg!!
Still doesn't explain why this tax keep's going up, just how far do they think this can go before serious problems start cropping up? :nono:

dont want to seem like I`m rubbing this in anyones face but mines just GONE DOWN from £35.00 to £30.00 per year!!!!:)

I drive a BMW116d and love it to bits , does every thing I ask of it and returns 60mpg on a long run and is cheap to insure (£300 fully comp)... couldnt ask more from a car really.

Jotaboy

dont want to seem like I`m rubbing this in anyones face but mines just GONE DOWN from £35.00 to £30.00 per year!!!!:)

I drive a BMW116d and love it to bits , does every thing I ask of it and returns 60mpg on a long run and is cheap to insure (£300 fully comp)... couldnt ask more from a car really.

Jotaboy

Mine's gone down from £205 pa to £120pa due to a car downsize....

My RX7 is 16 years old and I pay £125 for 12 months, can't complain really.

Mine's a 5700cc chevrolet pick up ,and I pay zero tax :clap:made before 1972.Getting rid of all my late cars and buying classic's easy to work on cheap insurance and cheap to run.

Mine's a 5700cc chevrolet pick up ,and I pay zero tax :clap:made before 1972.Getting rid of all my late cars and buying classic's easy to work on cheap insurance and cheap to run.

"Cheap to run" and "5700cc" don't seem to go together....:smashin:

The thing I find strange about the whole drive to make us drive cleaner, smaller engined cars is that they off us some deals such as £30 per year or whatever.

However, what happens if their campaign is a roaring success over the next decade or two? If the majority of people drive cars at £30 per year then the revenue coming in from road tax will be so low that they will just have to rasie it back to old levels, hence negating the benefit of driving a small, clean car.

Am I right in thinking this way?

Am I right in thinking this way?
Yes. It would have backfired spectacularly on the government, and they simply couldnt allow it to continue, because of the money spinner that it is at the moment.
However...thats unlikely to happen, because there will always be people willing to pay ludicrously high road tax due to their choice of car. There are at least 2 in this thread already, and we are only on the first page.

I agree that they should do away with road tax altogether and put extra duty on fuel. That way nobody can avoid paying it, unlike the million or so road tax dodgers every year.
The extremely sensitive issue would of course be how much extra duty should be imposed. :suicide:

Just done a quick calculation based on my own circumstances - Focus 1.6 driving approx 9000 miles per year....and the point where it would balance out at the moment, would be roughly around 12p extra duty on every litre.

Last edited:
Interesting question..

Quick calculation, if on average we drive 12k miles per year, assuming 35mpg gives 1550 litres per year. So 10p per litres more to cover £150 worth of road tax. Figures slightly rounded but not too far off.

I suggest you get a grip before your blood pressure blows the top of your head off.
RayM59 said:
My apologies if this has been done to death before, can someone explain why every time I receive my road tax renewal form the price has gone up again without any warning whatsoever?
There are always plenty of warnings. This isn’t like fuel duty which sometimes goes up on the evening of the budget. It’s either forecast in advance as a function of inflation, or is spelled out in the budget, often coming into effect months later.
… Ever since, I have been screwed with incessant rises without any reason being given, this is blatantly unfair and a total ripoff!!!
In what sense were you screwed personally to make it unfair? Reasons are always given in the budget. You may not like or agree with them, but you can’t deny they’re given. Or do you think you should get a letter from the DfT: “Dear Mr M59, We’re sorry to tell you that the road tax on your car will increase from next January. This note is to give you plenty of notice so you can change your car. Or emigrate. Yours, etc”
... pure greed and nothing else??
I’m not sure how you equate taxation with greed. Greed on whose part for what purpose?

Starting to think it's becoming frankly a tax on the poor now this. Relative of mine does well over 20k miles a year yet pays about £40 road tax on her diesel car. With the old motors you basically stick with cars you know, a good runner and pay a fortune a year in road tax for the privellege it seems.

It is an utterly stupid system, but that's to be expected with Gordon Brown in charge of it.

A Honda S2000 can be in one of three different tax bands depending on its age, despite the fact that they all have the same engine and the same CO2 emissions. You pay either £205, £245, or £425.

How much would be saved if all the complexity was removed? So typical of NuLabia.

It is an utterly stupid system, but that's to be expected with Gordon Brown in charge of it.

A Honda S2000 can be in one of three different tax bands depending on its age, despite the fact that they all have the same engine and the same CO2 emissions. You pay either £205, £245, or £425.

How much would be saved if all the complexity was removed? So typical of NuLabia.
I'm sure the new government will make it all fair very quickly indeed.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom