Road Kill

Stuart Wright

AVForums Founder
Staff member
That's it as far as I'm concerned - in over 20 years of motoring, I have never experienced this amount of mosquitos - and in just a 50 mile journey.
I'm not kidding - at one point it sounded like it was raining! I could hardly see out of the windscreen!
Global warming is a fact as far as I'm concerned!

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 224

criticalmass

That's it as far as I'm concerned - in over 20 years of motoring, I have never experienced this amount of mosquitos - and in just a 50 mile journey.
I'm not kidding - at one point it sounded like it was raining! I could hardly see out of the windscreen!

You should have seen the front of our rental Dodge Charger in Florida after a trip from Orlando to Daytona Beach, love bug season & we hit the road in their first flight of the day, the front of the car looked like someone had painted it black, the windscreen was so full of fatty deposits from splatted bugs i had to stop to try and clean it - that was fun since it was over 30 degrees & it has nicely baked on.

Monkey Alan

Next time slow down to sub 50 an take in some loverly country side views:boring: or tailgate a lorry. Its probably because we've not had many hot days so now they all come out at once.

Steven

Senior Moderator
I'm freezing here in my London flat. What "hot days"?!

Although I should put some clothes on...

partyweb

Distinguished Member
20 years ago I remember driving over Bodmin Moor and we saw a strange black cloud about 1/4 mile in front so we closed our sun roof thinking it was some kind of fumes from an old lorry or something. Just in time... as it was a wasp swarm. Our windscreen went completely black... at first... and then icky yellow after I put the windscreen wipers on. :devil:

It took forever to clean it off.

Worse was that when we got home after a week of driving round Cornwall, Devon, and Wales. I found the maggoty remains of a dead bird :eek: stuck in my front grill. Dunno if I can blame that on global warming.

Jenn

Distinguished Member
Could it not be due to the fact that we've had an unusually wet summer with spells of warm weather? Which in itself isn't something extraordinary and has happened before and before all the global warming talks?

J

jackal

At least all of the flys etc. are good for the Birds. Numbers have been declining steadily.

Remember those number plate covers the RSPB came out with a couple of years back to check the number of strikes per inch over a months - they'd look like a screen shot from Texas Chainsaw Massacre right now.

Having silver cars it bad enough at the moment - yet they say white is coming back into fashion:eek:

Dom996

Where were you driving? I do 80 miles a day and haven't washed the car in over 2 weeks and drive fast on occasion. Mines looks nothing like that.

IanWilky

Stu,

I hope you've cleaned them off!! Bug guts do terrible damage to paintwork, especially with your car being red (like mine), red is quite an unstable colour to start with. Get yourself over to the Meguiars site for some automotive TLC! :smashin:

regards,

Ian

Logo Hater

I usually get bitten loads of times in any summer, but I can honestly say I haven't seen a single mosquito around here all year.

Someone must have put an invisible barrier up round our village, 'cos there just doesn't seem to be any. I am not complaining though because they usually make my life a misery.

A couple of years ago I posted on here that there was a phenominal difference in the numbers of flying insect around at night now compared to the 50s and 60s when I first started driving. Now I hardy ever get then squished on the car, compared to then, when it was always really bad. Just like Stuarts' in the photo.

theuncharmed

Worst place ever for midgies believe it or not is Sweden. Get up into the Arctic Circle and untamed midgies the size of your fist (well not quite) rage across everywhere.

Took a 50 mile coach ride up there and by the end there were layers on layers of them stuck to the front grille/panels. The driver had a special hard brush just to get em off!

Fortunately I have some rare condition that means midgies never bite me. They must be able to sense something about me and keep clear, which is good :)

welshy

ok not midgies, but i remember two years ago when in the south of france driving across this bridge, we couldn't even see! The whole bridge was blackened by moths, we had the windscreen wipers on but still couldn't see. Honestly it was like driving in the dark even though we had our lights on.

We drove my wife's fathers car and in the morning he had to call the local garage because the engine wouldn't start. It was full of moths! He spent some money I can tell you cleaning it out. Wife got the blame of course :thumbsup:

Chris Muriel

Distinguished Member
That we be because the wife was also a mother :D
On the local news here (and also in a few column inches in USA Today) they're warning New Hampshire residents to watch out because local mosquitos are responsible for a resident getting some form of encephalitis. Local authorities are now taking action to kill most of the mozzies - not sure how.

Chris Muriel, Boston (fly back to Manchester tomorrow).

WhyAyeMan

I didnt think we got mosquitos in britain?

I hate cleaning bugs off my car. I am sure some of them are now permanent features of my bodywork :mad:

Mep

:D yep, that proves it

IronGiant

We do have have mossies in the UK, but sometimes we get our own back :rotfl:

Not sure who's blood it was but it didn't get any of ours :)

Dave

miceri

Worst place ever for midgies believe it or not is Sweden. Get up into the Arctic Circle and untamed midgies the size of your fist (well not quite) rage across everywhere.

Too true... My brother in law did his military service as a hunter/tracker in the north of Sweden. After a few days they let him leave, he was almost going insane with the amount of mossies eating him up!

The latest video from AVForums

LG G1 OLED Evo TV and SVS SB-1000 Pro subwoofer reviews, Samsung OLED rumours and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom