Road Deaths - Look at your own area

There have been over 36,000 deaths on our roads between 1999 and 2010.

Put your post code into the box on the following web site and see what has been happening in your own area:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-15975720

I was surprised to see that a very high number of road fatalities are caused by commercial vehicles. Now they're not exactly the fastest things on the road, are they?

Other than by reducing Speed Limits, I wondered if there is a better way of cutting road accidents down?

Should everyone be made to re-take a driving test every 10 years?

How about more skid pans for skid training and skid control appreciation?

Should bikes be made/allowed to go on the path instead of the road? Kids always seem to be on the path in my part of the world. I always thought it was an offence, punishable with a maximum fine of £1,000. Not so, I fear!

Solomon Grundy

Distinguished Member
Doesn't work, it's just a blank map for me...although the A1079 is one of the most dangerous roads in the UK so I know it will be covered in fatalitles.

TheAdmiralCS

Works OK for me. 3 fatalities around where I live (in a village) from 2006.

imightbewrong

Distinguished Member
About ten deaths within a couple of miles of our house.

Ed Selley

AVF Reviewer
There have been over 36,000 deaths on our roads between 1999 and 2010.

Put your post code into the box on the following web site and see what has been happening in your own area:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-15975720

I was surprised to see that a very high number of road fatalities are caused by commercial vehicles. Now they're not exactly the fastest things on the road, are they?

Other than by reducing Speed Limits, I wondered if there is a better way of cutting road accidents down?

Should everyone be made to re-take a driving test every 10 years?

How about more skid pans for skid training and skid control appreciation?

Should bikes be made/allowed to go on the path instead of the road? Kids always seem to be on the path in my part of the world. I always thought it was an offence, punishable with a maximum fine of £1,000. Not so, I fear!

If you take the number of road users and journeys, I personally feel we are close to an irreducible minimum of deaths on the roads. If you are a man, you are five times more likely to die of prostate cancer than traffic accident in the same period.

Iccz

Some of these are quite sad to read, there are somew where you look at the details and from one car you can see what would appear to be 2 parents dying and leaving behind a young child.

Also, it seems that most of the ones I clicked were involving elderly people.

Solomon Grundy

Distinguished Member
It works if I move it into other areas but remains blank for the entire length of the A1079 and my local postcode YO43.

qwerty321

They aren't the fastest things but the way quite a lot are driven they are the most dangerous ones. They will certainly do more damage than a car!

There was one local to me some years back. 8 year old kid that went to the same primary school as me. Was on his bike and he went under a 7.5t lorry. From what I remember, it wasn't the lorry drivers fault as such, the brakes on the kid's bike failed. :(

FZR400RRSP

Banned
They aren't the fastest things but the way quite a lot are driven they are the most dangerous ones.

Amen to that.
Where I live, there are loads of articulated lorries using blatantly inadequate roads.
The police/council won't ban them from these roads as they say it's 'unenforceable'.
So you'll be trundling along a country road to find an artic on your side of the road.
Driver probably on his phone, not caring a jot in his 30000kgs v 2000kgs duel.

imightbewrong

Distinguished Member
A friend of mine, his wife and their two children were killed when their car was hit by a lorry on the wrong side of the road on an inadequate country road :(

IAN P

Novice Member
There was nearly an 8 person fatality on a local road on Saturday. Ford Galaxy clipped an ambulance which unfortunately flipped on to it's side.

Very lucky people.

Lack of due care by the car driver it would seem, seeing as the ambulance was in full emergency mode.:)

FZR400RRSP

Banned
A friend of mine, his wife and their two children were killed when their car was hit by a lorry on the wrong side of the road on an inadequate country road :(

Damned shame.:(
There was a crash involving an artic and a school bus up here, about 3 years ago.
Mucho fuss was made about the school bus not having seatbelts.
The bloody artic was using an inadequate road, I bet he and his employers were well pleased that attention was diverted away from them.:mad:

qwerty321

Foreign Lorry Drivers are a big issue as well. Always doing stupid things, especially on the Motorway.
However, there is a road by me that is a pretty steep and quite a small road. Has a weight limit of 7.5T and one of the days there is a French driver (always the worst!) in a full on Lorry going down!

It is all clearly sign posted and the alternate road down for lorries is the next turning!

Berties

Banned
For some reason "all" shows three, but when I select each option they don't appear. It is a dangerous road though unlit and 50mph road

Thug

Just checked my area and there are MANY.
Three of the 4 i dealt with are there and the data is accurate (the fourth was this year).

figoagogo

Distinguished Member
Whilst cyclung I often brace myself when I know a truck is passing, they rarely give enough room, they often over take on bend (e.g. left hand bend), whereby the cab at the front gives space, but the trailer seems to go in a direct line getting close and closer and closer :(

StevieBuck

Didn't realise there had been so much incidents in my area. Mind you, I know of a few extra 'red dots' that would be added to those if it were to be updated to include this year.

Miss Mandy

There are quite a lot showing up in my area. They all seem to be motorcyclist and car, car and goods vehicle or car on its own. I would guess that its due to the roads in this area being either winding country roads or faster dual carriage ways.

Hulligan

What makes me laugh, is that on the A1033 there has been ZERO fatal accidents in the last 10 years, yet there is 6 scameras on that stretch of road that have raised almost £300k since they were put there around 8 years ago. Safety cameras my ****.

More people die due to alcohol per year than they do in vehicle accidents.

Jenn

Novice Member
Also, it seems that most of the ones I clicked were involving elderly people.

Not wanting to generalise but elderly people in cars have VERY slow reactions and are unpredictable.
By the time they've looked left and right and their brain has processed that the way is clear and that they need to put a gear in and move forward, they pull out 2 inches in front of your car.

Or in my case, they drove into the side of me.
On a car park, I'm driving towards the exit, round a corner and I slow down because a truck is parked nearby causing a bit of a queue. I'm stopped or nearly stopped when I feel a bump on the side of me: a very old man had just come out of his parking space straight into the side of my car.
Then I had to sign to him for ages to reverse because I obviously couldn't open the door.
What happened I believe is that he looked left while I wasn't there yet, then right looking at the truck and traffic while I got there, then still looking right drove forward.
His wife was telling me it was my fault and I must have come fast (on a small car park just after a corner while stopping because of traffic :rolleyes:) and didn't I see them and she wanted to drive off without giving me their insurance details.
Lovely.

Derkster

What makes me laugh, is that on the A1033 there has been ZERO fatal accidents in the last 10 years, yet there is 6 scameras on that stretch of road that have raised almost £300k since they were put there around 8 years ago. Safety cameras my ****.

More people die due to alcohol per year than they do in vehicle accidents.

Was thinking the same thing when i looked at the A666 stretch in Bolton

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Samsung TV Launch & QN95A Neo QLED Review, plus Film & TV news & Reviews
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Tidal streaming service acquired by Twitter/Square's Jack Dorsey
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Netflix adds support for reduced theatrical release window
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Paradigm launches Founder speaker series
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 3rd March 2021