1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RME soundcard help

Discussion in 'Computer Components' started by Madders, Jun 24, 2003.

1. Madders

Madders

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    Hi Guys,

I have an RME Digi96/8 PAD and the AEO 4/O add on card. My question is, what cables are you using to connect the cards to your amp? At the moment I only have the main RME board installed, and am using a splitter lead (the kind you get for hooking up your minidisc player to your amp!) with a TRS jack. Can you configure the card(s) so that you get a mono channel signal out of each analogue output? (As I have 5 analogue outs) if so what leads would I need?

I look forward to reading your suggestions!

Thanks,

Steve

2. Branxx

Branxx
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The analogue in/out on the card itself are stereo unbalanced only and cannot be reconfigured. I connect them using 1/4" to RCA adapter to which I attach ordinary RCA-RCA stereo cable. Your solution is equaly valid, although there is a greater choice of RCA-RCA cable than RCA-minijack or RCA-1/4" jack.

I think the connection on the daughter card are all balanced. You can configure which stereo pairs are assigned to 1/2 and 3/4 connectors. Usually you would have channels 1/2 (left+right) coming from the main card (unblanced) and channels 3/4 (centre + LFE) assigned to AEO 4/O connector 1/2 and channels 5/6 assigned to connector 3 and 4.

You have to deal with mix of unbalanced and balanced signals and resulting volume gain differential between the two.

You can buy various cable combinations at www.studiospares.com. I use ordinary oxygen free cables, usually around £8.

You can try replacing AEB-4/O with AEB-8/O, which offer 4 stereo unbalanced connections.

Also notice that the DAC quality on the daughter card is somewhat lower that on the card itself, effectively forcing the use of the cards output connector for main left and right channels.

Another alternative is to buy a so-called 2-channel DI-Box that would convert unbalanced signal to balanced.

3. Madders

Madders

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    Thanks for the advice Branxx. I have hooked everything up now, including the AEO 4/o card. However I have a problem in dvd playback via analogue out. I hope you can offer some advice. My analogue outputs all work (I tested using the THX optimode section of my T2 disc.) I get a sound out of each of my 5 surround speakers when I do this (using theatertek) However when I play the movie (or any movie) depending on which software player I use, I get different results, but they all mean that I get no sound out of one or all of the surround speakers (centre, rear left and rear right). I have tried different configurations of the audio option screens to no effect. I have tried nvdvd V2.55, windvd 5 (demo version), Theatertek 1.5 and powerdvd 5 (demo version). Powerdvd 5 seems to have the "best" results with only the rear left speaker not working, am I doing something wrong?

Hope someone can help!

:( :confused: :rolleyes:

Steve

4. Madders

Madders

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    Help!! :(

5. Branxx

Branxx
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Madders,

To start with check following:

In Sounds Control Panel advanced options define that you have 5.1 or 7.1 speaker setup.

Set-up you software player to 6 channel output

Channel assignement is (for PowerDVD)
    1/2 - fornt left, front right
    3/4 - front centre, LFE
    5/6 - surround left, surround right.

Which channel is not working?

6. Madders

Madders

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    Hi Branxx, once again many thanks for your advice. It seems the problem I have is that I can't select advanced options with this card(s) installed! The button is greyed out. I re-installed my M-Audio Revo last night to check if I had the same problem, but I can select the advanced button in the sound options, I can also get sound from all the channels, so now know it isn't the software players. What do you suggest could be the problem?

I look forward to your response.

Regards,

Steve

7. Branxx

Branxx
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Which channel is not working on RME?

8. Madders

Madders

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    It depends on the dvd software player. The front left and right work with all players. Powerdvd5 has all speakers working except surround left, windvd5 and nvdvd 2.55 and Theatertek 1.5 only have front left and right speakers working.

Regards,

Steve

9. Branxx

Branxx
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Do you have any DVD that have sound calibration section (many Disney disk have it).

This addressed each channel in sequence and it may help to pin point the problem further.

They are two small files easily found on the web called AC3TEST.VOB and test.ac3 that you can try downloading and use for further testng. PM me you e-mail if you have problem finding them.

10. Branxx

Branxx
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Madders,

Any progress in resolving your problem?

11. Madders

Madders

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    Hi Branxx,

As I mentioned in my second post, I had already tried the optimode section on my T2 disc. Anyway, I reinstalled the cards over the weekend and now have all channels working on Powerdvd 5. The other software players still don't seem to work unfortunately, but the picture performance on Powerdvd 5 seems to have improved a fair bit from version 4 so I shall probably stick with this.

On another matter, I wonder if you can shed some light on a post in avsforums which said that an external AC3 signal (eg sky+) can be decoded via a tweaked windvd audio filter and a graphedit graph filter. As I have no programming experience and can't figure out how to go about writing this filter, I wondered whether you had tried it?

Regards,

Steve

12. Branxx

Branxx
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I saw that post as well (decoding of external AC3 streams) but haven't tried it.