1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RME sound card for HTPC

Discussion in 'Computer Components' started by Todda, Jul 25, 2004.

1. Todda

Todda

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I will soon be in a position to buy a HTPC that I have been after for a while. The system has a RME sound installed in it and will be connected up to a Denon 3802 receiver. I have decided to take this route after reading several posts on this site (especially from Branxx) and talking to the supplyer of the HCPC.

I am still a bit unsure how the whole process of passing music and multichannel soundtracks to the receiver will work. Will the PC be used as a processor or does the card just pass the audio to the amp (as a standalone DVD player would) and allow it to do the processing?

If I were to connect SKY+ up the the PC to scale the video, would I be better off passig the audio through the PC also or just connecting the SKY+ box directly to the receiver?

Sorry if the questions seem a bit basic but I am quite new the the idea of using a PC as a Home cinema system.

Thanks

2. owain_thomas

owain_thomas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    You can go either way to be honest. The RMEs are meant to have phenomenal sound quality though so it would probably be better using the PC as a processor and feed the analogue signal it produces to the amp (just use the amp as a power amp really). Which RME are you getting? I'm not sure what the details of using an RME for multi channel are, another member (The_Dude) is getting a 9632 to try this approach and I'm looking forward to seeing what he's got to say about it.

HTH
    owain

3. Todda

Todda

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Owain

I'm getting the sound card you mentioned.

Does anyone else have a card similar to this connected to a receiver. If so how do you have them set up? If you have SKY also, how do you incorperate that.

Cheers