1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RME - Is there any advantage in going fro the latest models for HTPC use?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Mark Ward, Nov 26, 2004.

1. Mark Ward

Mark Ward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    I've been using an analogue configuration with a Creative Audigy 2 ZS for a few days and although it doesn't equal the output of my MC-1 it's good enough for me to want to experiment with an RME solution.

Here's the essential bit.. I want to end up with at least 7[Balanced].1 out, I'll only be 5.1 for now but any card must potentially allow this in the future.

For solely home cinema use is there any real advantage in going for the HDSP9652 or would I get comparable results from a lesser model?

Also what additional boards/cables/devices would I need to achieve 7.1 balanced?

Cheers,

Mark.

2. Embarker

Embarker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +66
    According to the RME website, the 9652 will allow for two daughter boards which would give you 8 balanced outputs.

It is not clear if the 9632 will allow for two output boards, (it will do one in and one out) if it does not this is a shame as RME do say "This card makes the dream of an All-In-One solution for every possible application come true"

Hope this helps

Rgds

Dave

3. Mark Ward

Mark Ward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Thanks for that Dave, it hadn't occurred to me that the earlier PAD cards may not support 7 or 8 balanced outputs. I though it was merely a case of which add-on boards to buy.

I was wondering whether there would be any audible difference with typical Home Theatre sources between the falg ship and the earlie (cheaper:)) models.

Will have to pop down to Dover really soon since you have the NVidea GFX card I'm considering AND a balanced RME Card. WHich one did you buy?

Also. Assuming I went for a 9652.. What would be all the items on my RME shopping list to connect to my BlueSkys? eg. Card + Which Daughter+Which cables??

Cheers,

Mark.

4. Embarker

Embarker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +66
    quote from RME website

HDSP 9652
    Two AEBx-I and two AEBx-O or two TEB can be connected and operated simultaneously, in all possible combinations. One TEB can be used together with either one AEBx-I or AEBx-O.

The AEB4-O (Analog Expansion Board) adds four analog outputs in professional quality to all ADAT capable RME cards. Level adjustment +4 dBu/-10 dBV, 106 dBA SNR and a servo balanced output stage deliver perfect sound and sonic clarity.

The AEB4-O is designed for maximum flexibility. Jumpers allow to route channels 1/2 3/4 or 5/6 7/8 to the four analog outputs. Installation is done in a convenient manner using the supplied bracket, or - as no contact to any slot on the motherboard is needed - at any place inside the computer. Nuts for all TRS jacks and a drilling template are included.

So i'd guess on 9652 and two AEB4-0 and then stereo TRS jacks to balanced cables.

If you've got balanced xlr/xlr runs already, i'd just buy eight 1 mtre Stereo (not Mono) TRS to Balanced cables or find someone handy with a soldering iron to convert one end to Stereo TRS.

Stereo TRS gives the three contacts needed for Balanced audio.

Maybe something Santa can get you?

Rgds

Dave

5. Mark Ward

Mark Ward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    I got a message that Gazebo2 had replied to this thread but it's not here so I guess he must have deleted it?

Anyway.. Here's my latest solution, based on available S/H hardware at a reasonable price. I'd like some opinions on this if anyone has any?

HSDP9652 with AEB4-0 Balanced daughter board AND external ADAT to 8 Balanced XLR rack mount unit.

I'd use 3 of the AEB4-0 for the front three and run sides and rears off the external ADAT:XLR unit. THis will also allow me to go for 2 pairs of sides later (I have over 40ft between my fronts and where the rears will be).

I know I don't NEED the AEB4-0 but it's being offered to me and I reckon I'll get the very best out of the front 3 this way rather than using just the ADAT to 8 Balanced where the digital to Analogue convertion will be done on a lesser quality unit.

Also, in the future will I be able to get around the problem with getting DD/PLII for External devices like DVD-A, X-Box & Sky by adding 5 analogue outs from a cheap processor/amp into an RME (non-balanced) Input card? or is there an even easier solution?

Thanks for any ideas,

Mark.

6. Molly

Molly
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Can't you attach a AO4S-192 and a AEB-4O or AEB-8O expansion boards to a RME 9632 achieve 7.1 and more?

7. Mark Ward

Mark Ward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    You can attach an AEB-40 (4 Channel Balanced) or an AEB-80 (8 Channel unbalanced) to the 9632 or the 9652 cards. from what I gather the AEB-80 isn't a lot of use for HT setups as the volume sliders only work on a pair of channels and not 1 vlolume control per channel.

I've now bought the HDSP9652 and the AEB-40, what I'm not clear about is whether I can add another AEB-40 as well later, but for now my front 3 will be off the AEB-40 and the sides & rears off an external ADAT 8-way balanced D/A Converter I also bought from the same guy.

Picking it all up this afternoon :)

Mark.