RME - Coax works to speakers, Optical does not

Julee Priest

Novice Member
Hi. I have the following connections, for my active Dynaudio Xeo 20 speakers.

Music: Lindemann Limetree Bridge --> (connected via SPDIF coaxial) --> RME
TV: Sony smart TV --> (connected via optical input) --> RME

Then for both, RME --> (connected via RCA red and white cables) --> Dynaudio Xeo 20 speakers

My issue: the coaxial works, but the opt doesn't. I can listen to music, but not TV.

Given that both have a common RCA out into the speakers, it tells me that the issue is with the sound chain from my Sony Smart TV (X950H) to the RME. But the TV itself plays fine if I up the volume on TV. I'd like the sound to be sent out via optical cable to the DAC, not be played on Sony's own tinny speakers on the TV. I've tried changing the audio setting on Sony Smart TV to play on TV Speakers, and Audio Out. Neither seems to be producing any sound via RME.

Any help or pointers?

rccarguy2

Distinguished Member
I wonder if the Sony is outputting a format the RME doesn't support? Can you set PCM for now and see if it works as that is standard format, then select bitstream then try DD/DTS/HD streams. Make sure optical out is selected, because "audio out" could be headphone out, or analogue audio out. If it was digital out it would say that, with either optical, or E-arc.

Julee Priest

Novice Member
Thank you for the thoughts. I haven't changed anything. This used to work for the first few days (I got RME two weeks ago), until an electrical thing in our building today. Everything restarted in the house. These are my TV's settings below. I've restarted RME manually too.

1.jpeg

2.jpeg

3.jpeg

rccarguy2

Distinguished Member
Disable Dolby digital plus
Change pass through to manual (what options are there?) Select pcm

Disable e-arc
I don't have a Sony TV though.

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic LZ2000, LZ1500 & LZ980 Hands-on Launch Event | No QD-OLED for 2022, new 77-inch for LZ2000
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom