1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RME 9632 and ASIO Players...Why?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by springtide, Oct 28, 2005.

1. springtide

springtide

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +442
    I've read that the RME drivers bypass the kmixer (and I thought that ASIO drivers are usually used for audio quality as they bypass the kmixer)

If this is the case, why are people using ASIO players like foobar2000 with the RME cards ? I've read/asked over on the Head-Fi that ASIO players aren't necessary for RME cards.

More info at the end of the thread at:
    http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=142775

I'm a little confused!

2. ChrisOH

ChrisOH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Hi,

I use foobar2000 with an RME 9632, I do not use ASIO but Waveout 24 bit fixpoint.

I have tried unsuccessfully to use both kernel streaming and ASIO. As far as I can see foobar is not designed with ASIO as a priority as the functionality is only available as a third party plugin. There seems to be some scepticism about whether it brings any benefit over the standard outputs anyway so, if I was you, and I have been there, I would stick with Waveout, allow hardware mixing and output to the Analogue outputs of the RME in foobar and be done with it. It sounds pretty good to me on what I considr to be a revealing system.

All this said I am a paid up audiofool, not a PC expert and if someone can offer instructions that work that offer improved sound then I am all ears.

All the best

3. springtide

springtide

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +442
    Bump. Anyone RME 9632 owners have an answer? (Is there anything else that makes it worth using an ASIO based player apart from kmixer?)

4. Pezerinno

Pezerinno

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    I have an RME 9632 as my source for my second system and I use foobar2000. Is waveout the default for the player? I haven't really changed any settings in foobar as I'm new to the whole audio pc thing.

5. ChrisOH

ChrisOH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Hi Nick,

Open foobar, click on preferences and then the word playback in the list on the left hand side. Check the 24 bit option in the output list. Then go to the output option on the list on the LHS and select the Waveout option from the drop down list, hit the go to settings button next to the list and select the appropriate output device (HDSP Analogue Out (1+2) for me).

I am only just starting out with foobar too but this is how I have it configured. As always I am open to suggestions on how to improve things.

Chris

6. Pezerinno

Pezerinno

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    Hi Chris, thanks very much for help me out (again!) I had it on 16bit, waveout but with microsoft sound mapper.