1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RMB-1075 How cheap for a power buy?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by ian_linington, Apr 24, 2003.

1. ian_linington

ian_linington

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just a quick question....

How cheap would a RMB-1075 have to be before people were interested in a Power Buy ???

Is £700 too much, wanted to know before I put too much effort into it.

Cheers,

Ian L.

2. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I think that might be a reasonable target and could be interested in a silver/black one.

3. paulefox

paulefox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    I would be up for one at that price

4. jhjerpe

jhjerpe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Possible intrest here as well.

5. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +450
    I don't think you're likely to manage a powerbuy on Rotel kit ... Rotel have a policy (clearly stated on their website) that they only sell their kit through registered dealers who shouldn't sell online / mail order.

Best you can do is visit a dealer and negotiate a 10% (or so) discount.

I think it's been said before RE mainstream kit, that Sevenoaks, etc are in much better position to negotiate a discount than a dozen or so people here are ever going to be. Also Rotel (well B&W as importers) arn't going to want to alienate their dealers buy selling a few amps directly.

Vikki

PS ... are the power amps in the Pioneer 2011 really that bad that you need to supliment them with a 1075 ... you really should demo (preferably at home) before adding a 1075 to your 2011 amps.

6. ian_linington

ian_linington

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sounddog,

I agree with you about Rotel not selling directly, I approached the dealer that I bought my 1066/1075 from and he is willing to entertain the possibility of this going ahead.

The price equates to about 17% discount, they may well be willing to go lower but at the moment I'm not sure how much.

This would mean me ordering them from him and then if people were not that local posting them on..... which would increase the price.

If your polite and try hard you should be able to get this level of discount as well. My 1075 cost me slightly more than this (I won't say how much cos people might get upset!)

What I don't want to happen is for people to go to dealers, have demo's and be happy with the 1075 and then not try and get a discount from them. As I am sure that you will find most will want to make some money on a deal (by giving discount) rather than none (by you going elsewhere).

As a personal preferance I would rather pay slightly more at local dealer rather than getting the cheapest price possible off the internet, cos it means that I will be able to go back to my local shop and demo stuff, ask for advice and even get home loans. You don't get this sort of service of the Internet and you will be reliant on either Magazine reviews or other peoples recomendations.

Regards

Ian L.

7. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +450
    ian ...

Personally I'm not up for an amp ... but make sure you are careful otherwise you could get stung badly trying to arrange this.

Also keep quiet about who the dealer doing this is (selling to you at 17% discount for you to resell) as they may get upset and put pressure on your dealer. 17% off sounds a great deal.

I agree with your re prefering to buy locally than online - though it depends what I'm buying, and what level of advise/help I want ... you do need to be careful (as you say) that you're not encouraging people to (ab)use their local dealers demo facilities, then coming to you to get a better price. I think thats the main reason that Rotel (and B&W and others for that matter) don't like their kit being sold mail order ... they're doing it in many ways to protect their dealers.

Vikki

PS ... I think if you're wanting to organise a powerbuy you need to contact Spectre and get permission from him first ... then post in the powerbuy section rather than in this section of the forum.

8. Triggaaar

Triggaaar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,012
    I'd be intersted too. Not ready to buy for a couple of months tho :(
    Not sure what I'm going for but Rotel is on the list.

Mike

9. tk2001

tk2001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    Whats the cheapest price you can get one of these for?

10. ChrisNic

ChrisNic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    I was interested in the rotel combo and Superfi always give me 10% as a student so I went in to see what they could do it for. I claimed sevenoaks would also give me 10% which made there price £1619 for the pair. Without me even asking he quoted me £1500! I ordered one and got it the day after so i was well chuffed! That was Superfi Nottingham for reference! I thought I should share that bargain with you!

Before you ask it is amazing, I just need to finance some speakers now!

11. dts_boy

dts_boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    its not good practice to quote branch names and what prices they did-the companies DO read these forums and could come down on any shops that quote these discounted prices. this is what my local shop said, not that i am gonna tell you which one of course!

12. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,542
    i only paid £700 for my my 1075!!

13. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Hi All
    Ive found that you can get discounts on almost anything that you buy from dedicated dealers .If you dont ask you dont get if they know your definately going to purchase they will almost always come to some sort of mutual agreement and in a lot of instances they can match internet prices. you are not doing anything wrong getting the best prices and i suspect there are a number of folks who never ask for a discount and just pay the rrp this is why i think the local dealers try to accomadate all deals be they rrp or discounted.
    Gonzo.:)

14. ChrisNic

ChrisNic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    Thats a fair point about naming shops, we dont want our sources of bargain prices drying up. I will keep my sources to myself!

15. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +450
    I think Rotel et als problem isn't with dealers discounting ... it's with dealers selling mail order.

Also they don't like their dealers advertising discounted prices - they want you to goto their local dealer not the cheepest dealer. Thats also the reason why when there is already a Rotel dealer in an area, they won't sell to another shop.

Vikki

16. ChrisNic

ChrisNic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    I found when I was trying to buy them that it was hard to get a good price from a dealer because B&W only like one dealer in a town selling rotel series 10. This meant you could get dealers to fight for your custom as they simply couldnt get hold of them even if the company as a whole does stock series 10.

17. Piya

Piya
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    mjn

Can I ask where you bought the 1075 for £700 from?

My local hi-fi dealer only offers the 1075 to me at £750.

Thanks
    Piya

18. kevshed

kevshed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74
    Guys,
    Did this powerbuy ever happen... seriously considering the RSP-1066 / RMB-1075 at the moment...
    cheers,
    Kev

19. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,542
    Practical hi-fi, but that was before B&W took over the distrubution

20. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,739
    About to buy one from Maidstone Sevenoaks....but they wouldn't discount it at all:(

£845, although I get cables thrown in for a fiver more.

Anyone got any other suggestions where I could get one from cheaper? Feel free to PM me if naming dealers is felt to be contentious

cheers
    Matt